Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Premium Member
8,884 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this site is for emulation, but it seems it's the only place I can get a quick decent response, from polite people. I have both silent hill 3 and silent hill 4: the room for pc, and running them in 1024 x 768 and I get a significant FPS drop when an enemy appears and even most of the time when there is no enemies on the screen, for silent hill 3 I've tried disabling realtime shadow, noise effect, and reducing rendering resolution, for silent hill 4, I've disabled realtime shadow and noise effect, I should at least be able to run them at 1024 x 768 resolution, is this normal, I'll list my system specs below, if these games can be run fairly well with a geforce 3ti and 4ti how am I getting low fps on these pc games anywheres between 10 or 15 fps - 30 fps . I can run max payne 1 and 2, splinter cell 1 and 2, enter the matrix, far cry, grand theft auto III, grand theft auto vice city, half life 2, at about anywheres between 30-50 fps. any Info on this greatly appreciated.

My system specs: Intel celeron D processor at 2.66 ghz, 533 mhz FSB, 1024 mb PC 333/266 DDR 2700/2100 ram, nvidia geforce fx 5500 overclocked on a pci bus, sound blaster live 24 bit, dual layer dvd RW drive, 1 120 gigabyte hard drive, 1 160 gigabye hard drive.

· -PM to advertise here-
8,320 Posts
My first focus will hit your gfx card. First ensure its not 64bit. Secondly, I think 1024x768 might be a little high for this so try at a lower resoluion and tell us. Thirdly, what drivers are you using?

· Registered
7,840 Posts
As he said, FX5500 cards are crap, lower your settings. Also, Celerons are NOT Pentiums, it's the low budget range Intel CPU, even though it should be enough for SH games, FX5500+Celeron= low performance

· Premium Member
8,884 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
more info

Hello, thanks for responding, my graphics card has 256 megabytes total memory, integrated ramdac, capable of pixel shading 2.0, came overclocked right out of the box, I have the core clock speed at 320 megahertz and the memory clock speed at 430 megahertz, I have it on a pci bus because my motherboard didn't come with a agp or pci-express slot, guess thats what I get for buying an emachine pc, I have 85 gigabytes of hard disc space left on my d: drive where all my games and larger apps are stored so thats not a problem Half life 2 runs at about 30 fps with 1280 x 1024 resolution AA disabled and low shadows, unreal tounement runs at about anywheres between 25-60 fps depending on the size/activity/bots/staticmeshes of the level, max payne 1 and 2 runs fine with 2048 x 1024 resolution with AA disabled, far cry I get about 20-30 fps on max 2048 x 1024 AA disabled doom 3 I have to run in 1024 X768 res or else the fps get real low, but I believe silent hill 3 and 4 should run decently on 1024 x 768 res. I'm using forceware version 71.84 I tried updating to the latest forceware but when i tried to upgrade, the driver had a major mouse lag issue and graphics corruption whenever I moved, or turned left or right and in the menus with unreal tournement 2004, so I reverted back to 71.84 which came on a disc with My BFG geforce fx 5500 Overclocked. Silent hill 3 lags in the part where your in the town and at the church and other places, silent hill 4 lags at subway even more so when in silent hill woods, some in the water prison, and the most when in apartment world, where the fps can drop to as low ad 10-15 fps also in my game tom clancy's raven shield one of the least system taxing games, my framerate drops to about 8-15 fps but it varies between the 12-15 fps and some of the time I can get 30-50 fps.

If I had the money I would buy and build myself my dream system with an nforce4 sli chipset, pci express x2 with dual nvidia geforce 7800 gtx's, 4 gb pc3200 ddr ram, gpu, cpu water cooling, an led lit case, amd 64 x 2, 2.4 ghz proc most useful when most or all programs or games utilize dual cpu's and hyper-threading. :heh:

· Registered
7,840 Posts
OH please, make your latest post readable, reading a 40 lines block of text without a single dot is a real pain (I stopped at the 2nd line)

Anyways... an FX5500 card even highly modified, 256mb or not, is still pure ****.
Plus, the cutscenes in SH4 run slow even on my PC (which isn't too bad if you check my sig)

· Premium Member
8,884 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
sorry

I'm sorry I didn't mean to type sloppily, I'll try not to do it again. I guess I will have to buy a new system or buy a new motherboard as an upgrade and fit it with a geforce 7800 gtx when I get the money, thanks anyways though .;)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.