Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Banned
2,817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This is a very interesting article:

Gamasutra - Features - PC Game Piracy: Why Bother With DRM?

"Carmel believes that the extent to which a game is pirated is approximately the same whether it uses any of the DRM technologies or not. If it is that ineffective, he asks, why use it at all?"

"It has been claimed -- albeit without any demonstratable proof -- that, last year, a gamer backlash was a significant factor in EA's Spore becoming the most pirated game in 2008. Critics of excessive DRM believe that some gamers simply chose to pirate rather than buy the long-anticipated game whose DRM technology infuriated them."

"Publishers aren't stupid. They know that DRM doesn't work against piracy," he explains. "What they're trying to do is stop people from going to GameStop to buy $50 games for $35, none of which goes into the publishers' pockets. If DRM permits only a few installs, that minimizes the number of times a game can be resold."

"DRM is a waste of time and money for us," says Carmel. "It takes time to wrap the game in DRM and you have to pay the DRM provider a percentage of your revenue. Not only doesn't it work but, ironically, if your game gets cracked, then the person with the cracked version has a better gaming experience than the person with a legit version who has to enter a registration code to play."

Just a little something.

·
I Am Merely A Pawn...
826 Posts
Gossamer: don't be so quick to judge all people who pirate. ok there may be a majority of *******s but there's also the people who download to try. and i'm in that boat. because if i hadn't pirated, i wouldn't have bought star ocean: first departure on PSP or SWAT 4 on pc. plus it's also down to finding out if the game will run well on your system (i had splinter cell: CT on xbox so i knew it was good, but i didn't know if the PC version would run on my computer until i pirated it. now i've got a brand new legitimate copy coming from amazon in the post as i type this).
i know not all pirates do it for the reasons stated above but don't tar me and other people that do this with the same brush as the pirates that don't give a damn about the industry at all.

·
I Am Merely A Pawn...
826 Posts
snicko: demos are often a bad representation of the game. usually taking the most juicy bits and leaving out the crap.
one example of this is the mirrors edge demo. demo itself was amazing. actual game was not a good enough game to warrant spending cash on (and i didn't since i borrowed it from a friend to try on 360).
plus on PC demos, they are ususally based on pre-patch versions meaning you never know if the actual game will run on the same computer if you buy it just based off of the demo.
i want to know if the game is good, even with the possible crap in it. not just play the best bits and find out that the game itself is a bad game.

·
Ya'ver drink Brazilian bold from fkn dunkn donuts!
7,828 Posts
Snick:

They are not indicative of the proper content.

In the past, they are great (some cases, even a whole portion of the game is free).

Thats the issue.
snicko: demos are often a bad representation of the game. usually taking the most juicy bits and leaving out the crap.
one example of this is the mirrors edge demo. demo itself was amazing. actual game was not a good enough game to warrant spending cash on (and i didn't since i borrowed it from a friend to try on 360).
plus on PC demos, they are ususally based on pre-patch versions meaning you never know if the actual game will run on the same computer if you buy it just based off of the demo.
i want to know if the game is good, even with the possible crap in it. not just play the best bits and find out that the game itself is a bad game.
Sadly these points are very valid.

I remember that Half Life had an unbelievable demo that had you heading out to a research lab, where you end up going through a warzone at night, with scientists slaughtered all over the ground, soldiers patrolling the area, headcrabs en-route and gore everywhere. When reaching the facility you actually use the haz-mat suit to brave radiation and to flick a switch to enable a satellite or whatever, you end up in a sewer with zombies, crawl out again and eventually end up in another facility where a truly huge boss arrives, crashing through the wall crushing all in sight before it fades to black.

The demo was not contained in the full game which is a shame as I had more fun playing the demo then the full retail version of Half Life.

It is true that many demo's today are rather lacking in terms of delivering the full experience, which is why I guess having games (Burnout Paradise, and I think previously Dead Man's Hand) that have the full game in the demo files, but with a time lock or something which allowed the full game experience, even for a limited time is a better method to encourage gamers to buy the game.

·
Registered
7,038 Posts
My main problem with demos is that they often seem to be one of two extremes :
- A game that includes all the juicy parts, often I find the full game to be little more than the demo, which means the game end up being repetitive and has little content. NOT FUN.
- A game that includes none of the juicy parts, acting as a tease for you to buy the game. "Oh you want that, huh? Well that's gonna cost you big boy..."
In that case, I often end up skipping/missing on the game because the demo bored me and I don't feel like blindly buying the game based on features that are shown to me but kept out of range. They rarely trust us players, I don't trust them either and won't take their word when it comes to "how awesome" the game is.
So I simply decide not to buy the game and possibly end up missing on something really cool. (It happened before, which sucks, only found out the games were good a year or two later.)

·
Drowning in a red state.
9,083 Posts
Not that I'm in any position to do so, but your reasons for pirating can be easily countered. I.O.W, it doesn't warrant theft.

You don't steal a car just to test how well it will fair in the long run, that is what you buy it for.

·
Registered
10,692 Posts
Not that I'm in any position to do so, but your reasons for pirating can be easily countered. I.O.W, it doesn't warrant theft.

You don't steal a car just to test how well it will fair in the long run, that is what you buy it for.
Most reputable car salespeople allow you to drive the car for a test drive, you can sometimes have someone look over the car before you buy it, and you get a taste of what the real car is and how it handles, not a preview of what the car might be like...

I don't try before I buy unless you're talking Console and then I rent, particularly if the game is over $20.

·
The Hunter
15,879 Posts
Demos are nice, but they often come with the same malware...

But I don't really believe the argument of people saying "it wasn't worth money". It may not have been worth the full €65 euros they ask for console games nowadays, but it certainly may have been worth €20 if you've had 20 hours of fun out of a game. Or even if it's just a 10 hour single player game, it can still be worth a budget bin pickup. The problem is that people don't even want to wait for that anymore. They want to play everything on release day but not for the release price.

To me personally this is less of an issue, I have plenty of other activities and games to play, that's why I don't feel the urge to play even the "crappy" games on release day. I find it a bit hypocrite to fully play a game and say it wouldn't have been worth the money. Also, again speaking personally, I find that I enjoy purchased games a lot more, because I tend to look for the good stuff, rather than looking for flaws in order to justify the pirating.

Still, I also think that a lot of PC gamers are turned off by the huge amount of bugs often found in release versions.

Thats what review sites, renting, and demos are for.
If you see the game has a 9/10+ score on every site then chances are the game can't be too bad.
- Review sites are flawed, biased and sold out a long time ago. The only reviews I trust are those I read here at the forums. Often they don't even touch system requirements, bugs or other flaws because the game is heavily advertised on their side, meaning they can't criticize it. Look at all the praise GTA4 got for instance....
- Renting isn't an option for PC games due to their serials, and where I live there's simply no videogame renting available at all. This died out as soon as the CD became the standard media for PSX, which could simply be copied.

·
Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ 龍我雷 Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ
1,201 Posts
These days demos are pain in the ass.. look at crysis, 2GB to download a demo..

Not all people got fast connection to download demos like me.
Not all people got subscription to some PC Gamer magazines *Costs more than buying the game itself*

Most demos lack everything, they put you in the middle of the game, play for 15 minutes, once finished playing, you are like "yea whatever! delete dat junk"

1 - 20 of 67 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.