Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there a way to modify the language version of a psx game by aplying a patch?
I got a game in japanese and i would like to know if this can be done and if so, where do i find the tools to patch the game?
This may seem a bit lamer, but i haven't found anything in the net about that!
I know that patches can be aplied to psx games to make them run in emu (ex: FF9), but what i ask is if the language can be modified like the snes games.
tHANKS! :yawn:

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
OK.................
First thing I want to tell you is PSX games was record in CD format
then in CD can't change any info data excpet you using ISO..........
but anyway I think if have real patch.The patch must really big!!!:eyes:

·
Registered
513 Posts
>but anyway I think if have real patch.The patch must really big!!!
Not so, Enigma. See, a good portion of the data in any given ISO file is comprised of the images, MDECs and sound in a game. If a translation was to just modify the textual dialog the patch would be fairly small, as it'd only need to modify the changes to the game; in this case, the altered text. You would be correct, however, if the patch were to add English voice acting or alter the MDECs in some fashion.

A good example of this is the case of Tales of Phantasia for the SNES. The game itself clocks in around four megs in size. The patch, however, is only a few hundred kilobytes, seeing as how it only has to replace the native Japanese script with roman characters and then insert the modified text. This is also why many people have been able to port the DeJap translation to other languages which use a roman character set.

Anywho, if a language patch were to exist for a given PSX game, it'd most likely use the standard .ips language patching system, as its fairly well tested and multipurpose.

·
Super Moderator
6,283 Posts
A french team is curently translatind Chrono Cross,but don't expect it to be released anytime soon!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts