Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
General of Tangerines
3,934 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a PC with Linux Red Hat and Windows XP installed.

I want to shrink the size of the Red Hat drive and give more space to Windows XP.

When I run Parition Magic 8.0 I get an error message that says "117 Partition's drive letter cannot be identified"

I looked in the manual and it told me to use the Partition Magic diskettes.

When I use the diskettes and I get an error 114.

I suspect the problem is occuring because I installed Linux incorrectly which messed up the dual boot between Windows XP and Red Hat. (Both OSes does work however)

Is there a way around this issue?

If not, is there another parition editor which I can use?

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
There are also plenty of Linux tools that can change the size of NTFS partitions. Google it to find which one is most trust-worthy.

However, I personally do not recommend resizing Windows' System & Boot Partitions. Windows relies on certain file positions through sectors rather than file&directory structure. Some programs are known to affect this.

·
Registered
9,504 Posts
I heard that QTpart was a good graphical partitioner. I think it's on the Knoppix LiveCD

Linux fdisk may also do the job also

·
General of Tangerines
3,934 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I decided to go for Acronis Parition Expert and this software has no problems reading the partitions. It has no problems resizing the Linux parition.

Parition Magic doesn't seen to be the same good program I used a few years ago. :(

1 - 4 of 4 Posts