Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
The Hunter
15,879 Posts
For example, there is a sacred, almost sacrosanct right to be able to save one's game. When I need a daughter to put down her DS and do something, she always gets one or two minutes to save her progress first. It is only in the cases of extreme lateness or severe punishment that she is forced to shut off the game with her progress lost. It is the Ultimate Sanction.
The reasons why my parents didn't like Final Fantasy or any other console RPGs: They have set save points, as opposed to PC games.

Anyway, for the other points, I also believe that education and guidance is the key. Leaving your kids to play games they desire without any form of supervision or while not even knowing what they play in the first place, that's bad parenting. Why should you not talk with your children what the game is about, what they like in it so much? You'd do the same if they played a football match right?

·
ヒット激しく速く
19,429 Posts
If i had a 6 year old kid, i'd let him play GTA/Fallout 3/Gears of War, well pretty much any kind of game he would want, i wouldn't meddle with like asking why he likes it or not or forbidding a certain game.Also i would probably ask him to do something 2 mins prior of me wanting him to do something, but still pretending his late (so that it doesn't get to his head and starts schemes of his own), the only thing i would do though is make sure he knows game=/=real life. I grew up playing Doom, Heretic, Duke Nukem 3D, GTA and although my jokes seem awkward sometimes in the later years, i never went and stoled someone's car or believe in demons or tried a round house kid on a kid just cause i saw it in mortal kombat and as a child i was a pretty much a regular good kid (well at least till around 13-14).

·
Registered
8,294 Posts
:lol:

I'd also give freedom on gaming to my kids, well the worst horror games I might think some time or play with my kid(if I ever get kids that is:lol:) but otherwise I don't believe the games cause agression, on the contrary, I've played violent games a long time and I've never even actually fought anyone:lol:

·
soshin
2,595 Posts
Actually playing games can be seen as a method of catharsis, to tunnel your pent up urges and agression. Though it depends on one's ego strength I think reasonable people can still clearly see the difference between real and imaginary world.

There's a study of learned agressive behavior observed on children due to the influence of television (I forgot which, probably Bandura), but I personally see it more as the act of imitating instead of behavior resulted from internalized values.

·
Hackin 'n Slashin
28,630 Posts
Too much control is bad, too little control is bad.
Showing an interest in the games your kid plays would be the way to go, not neccessarily entirely forbidding everything that's entirely bad, but pointing out the bad things in games, perhaps explaining to your kid why you don't want them playing the game etc. Also pick titles which your kid can gladly play and encourage your kid to give them a shot, get them interested in racing and sports games by having a gaming session with your kid every weekend and things like that.

·
Registered
10,692 Posts
Of course "corrupting" your children by getting them to play "retro" systems should be mandatory... ;)

Children should be given access to Atari 2600, NES, Sega Genesis, Super NES, Playstation, and Dreamcast games in whatever "legal" manner possible. If they cannot appreciate such games, they will need to learn that before playing "modern" games!

They should have to beat Chrono Trigger before playing Final Fantasy XIII!

ROTFLMAO ;)

·
Hackin 'n Slashin
28,630 Posts
Not sure I would subject them to an Atari 2600 unless they were bad where if that were the case they would get to play nothing but E.T as punishment, but the rest I agree on :evil:

·
Registered
10,692 Posts
Not sure I would subject them to an Atari 2600 unless they were bad where if that were the case they would get to play nothing but E.T as punishment, but the rest I agree on :evil:
I like several of the Activision games for the 2600, Adventure, Enduro Racer, Keystone Capers, Megamania, Pitfall, Pitfall II, River Raid, Seaquest, Spider Fighter, and a few others. I think a young child should learn to appreciate the classics just like they used to teach classic literature like they did when I was in school, in fact I'd expand it to music and movies as well...

·
Hackin 'n Slashin
28,630 Posts
Well yes, but there's classics and then there's just too darn old for a person who's used to better graphics to figure out what's going on.
I am by no means a graphics whore and love retro games...but past a certain level I just can't tell what's what anymore, the blocks just become too hard to deciper...Even in PS1 games for someone that's never played those types of games with that type of control before it can be very hard to decipher what's just random scenery and what I can actually interact with (talking about more 3D 3rd person type games).

·
Registered
10,692 Posts
I think you underestimate kids ability to play such games, look at the educational "junk" games, or some of the "Indie" games that exist...

·
Drowning in a red state.
9,083 Posts
I like several of the Activision games for the 2600, Adventure, Enduro Racer, Keystone Capers, Megamania, Pitfall, Pitfall II, River Raid, Seaquest, Spider Fighter, and a few others. I think a young child should learn to appreciate the classics just like they used to teach classic literature like they did when I was in school, in fact I'd expand it to music and movies as well...
How old are you? 90? They still teach classic literature and play classic movies in schools. Old things usually seem lame to younger people because they lack the one thing that keeps you old people playing those games,

nostalgia

Mind you by old I mean pre snes games.

·
Knowledge is the solution
7,168 Posts
How old are you? 90? They still teach classic literature and play classic movies in schools. Old things usually seem lame to younger people because they lack the one thing that keeps you old people playing those games,

nostalgia
Who feels nostalgia for all the literally works that were created in past centuries, mind you? If there is no one to feel nostalgia for them, they why do you think they are still taught, and why are there people that appreciate them?

Mind you by old I mean pre snes games.
/me sits down in a dark corner and starts crying.

·
Hackin 'n Slashin
28,630 Posts
I think you underestimate kids ability to play such games, look at the educational "junk" games, or some of the "Indie" games that exist...
Perhaps. All I know is that I tried to pick up Monkey Island 1 and 2 after playing the 3rd...and I could not...nothing made sense, I basically had to follow a guide the entire time cuz I could not identify a single item I needed to interact with among those blocks.

I also tried some 3D PS1 RPGs (FF8, Vagrant Story and one or two other such games) and I find it hard to tell what's scenery and what I can interact with, which makes even such a game hard to play without a guide.

·
Drowning in a red state.
9,083 Posts
Who feels nostalgia for all the literally works that were created in past centuries, mind you? If there is no one to feel nostalgia for them, they why do you think they are still taught, and why are there people that appreciate them?
My bad, I meant old games. Not literary works. I typed that while having a severe urge to use the bathroom.

Perhaps. All I know is that I tried to pick up Monkey Island 1 and 2 after playing the 3rd...and I could not...nothing made sense, I basically had to follow a guide the entire time cuz I could not identify a single item I needed to interact with among those blocks.

I also tried some 3D PS1 RPGs (FF8, Vagrant Story and one or two other such games) and I find it hard to tell what's scenery and what I can interact with, which makes even such a game hard to play without a guide.
Lol its a trial and error with games that have pixelated graphics, doesn't really defer from the games value for me though......... I think making everything blend in was something square was trying to achieve for FF8 though. :p

·
Hackin 'n Slashin
28,630 Posts
It's especially games (on non-Nintendo systems) that tried to push the envelope of what the system could do that end up confusing down the line, although we have now easily reached standards where that will stop occurring.

·
Registered
10,692 Posts
My bad, I meant old games. Not literary works. I typed that while having a severe urge to use the bathroom.

Lol its a trial and error with games that have pixelated graphics, doesn't really defer from the games value for me though......... I think making everything blend in was something square was trying to achieve for FF8 though. :p
Yet many people spend hundreds of hours making the old games playable on newer systems, many people spend a great deal of money to buy hardware to play such games, and even some companies spend money making commercial emulators for their systems...

:thumb:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.