Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Prince of Persia
1,105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=sto...korea&printer=1

SEOUL (AFP) - A South Korean woman paralyzed for 20 years is walking again after scientists say they repaired her damaged spine using stem cells derived from umbilical cord blood.Hwang Mi-Soon, 37, had been bedridden since damaging her back in an accident two decades ago.Last week her eyes glistened with tears as she walked again with the help of a walking frame at a press conference where South Korea (news - web sites) researchers went public for the first time with the results of their stem-cell therapy.They said it was the world's first published case in which a patient with spinal cord injuries had been successfully treated with stem cells from umbilical cord blood.
They say that more experiments are required to verify the outcome of the landmark therapy."It is just one case and we need more experiments, more data," said Oh Il-Hoon, another researcher."I believe experts in other countries have been conducting similar experiments and accumulating data before making the results public."
Anyway its really amazing on what the scientists have done.

·
Registered
7,330 Posts
Wow. :bow:

·
Super Moderator
6,283 Posts
And some people want to prevent stem cell research ...

·
Canadian Spaceman
8,767 Posts
Amazing :)

·
The one and only
3,658 Posts
i kno. this is amazing :)

·
Premium Member
12,032 Posts
Wow! Great news for her. Hope this continues.

·
Registered
7,836 Posts
Awesome!
Boltzmann? where are you?!

·
Banned
9,111 Posts
A cure for paralysis,lovely, and good for her.
I wonder what it can do, cure for cancer maybe, or prehaps complete regeneration of body parts

·
Registered
7,836 Posts
Or make ppl have 4 arms, 3 eyes, and be multi-dicks ^^

Naah seriously, that's a nice step in the med. domain

·
Retired
8,882 Posts
I saw this earlier, though I was at my GF's house, and couldn't post it here.

Anyway, they're awesome news. Maybe this will shut up a few of the scientifically ignorant bio-luddites, like this guy:

dpence said:
(...)pro killing babies for cells that have never proven to be of any value(...)
Stem cell research still promises hope for people will Alzheimer's, Leukemia and many other very bad diseases.

Anyway, I'll wait before this appears at some peer-reviewed journal before making additional comments (the media coverage is quite bad, as usual, and do not provides us with many details of the procedure).

·
Knowledge is the solution
7,168 Posts
wth?? getting stem cells involves killing babies? i thot it was taken from umbelical cord blood :S
Again, that is distorted information that the bio luddites are very happy when spreading it. Stem cells are nothing more than totipotent cells, that is, cells that can grow into any specialized cell type (be it neurons, muscle cells, intestine cells etc). This cells can be found in umbilical cord blood, and on embryos too. However, this doesnt mean that mad men go around the world hunting pregnant women to take out their babies, if they use embryos, researchers generally take the embryos from natural aborts.

·
Coffee Demon
2,907 Posts
Proto said:
Again, that is distorted information that the bio luddites are very happy when spreading it. Stem cells are nothing more than totipotent cells, that is, cells that can grow into any specialized cell type (be it neurons, muscle cells, intestine cells etc). This cells can be found in umbilical cord blood, and on embryos too. However, this doesnt mean that mad men go around the world hunting pregnant women to take out their babies, if they use embryos, researchers generally take the embryos from natural aborts.
Indeed..that is where the problem begins.. People are not against stem cell research itself. They are against researchers taking stem cells from embryos. These are most likely the safe folk that are against abortion.

What they are even more against is the harvesting of embryos in labs simply for the sake of stem cell research. We have no gripes about taking them from aborted embryos, but harvesting them makes us sick...We keep picturing a scene from the Matrix

·
Registered
7,330 Posts
DarkAurora said:
I know this may sound like a dumb question but is an embryo a fertilized ovary or just any ovary?
An embryo is the stage between fertalized egg and fetus when the systems are still forming but not all in place yet.

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
I wouldn't mind this if it would help me in the long run including much faster healing of the body.

·
Back from the dead
3,741 Posts
Isn't a baby born like every second? If the hospitals would start a policy to harvest all the stem cells off of each umbilical cord after the woman gives birth, then we would never need to get stem cells from embryos.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts