Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Retired
8,882 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://www.nature.com/news/2004/041011/full/041011-9.html

An pill-sized brain chip has allowed a quadriplegic man to check e-mail and play computer games using his thoughts. The device can tap into a hundred neurons at a time, and is the most sophisticated such implant tested in humans so far.
And there's more:

The BrainGate allowed the patient to control a computer or television using his mind, even when doing other things at the same time. Researchers report for example that he could control his television while talking and moving his head.
It's happening. Brain interfaces are getting nearer every day.
I dream of the day when I'll be able to write this using my thoughts alone. Or when I'll be able to access Google from inside my head...

The perfect future for me would be a fusion between man and machine. We'll finally be posthumans, and all of us could be cyborg citzens :thumb:

·
Canadian Spaceman
8,767 Posts
Crazy! oO What if the television starts controlling him... woOoOoh.

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
Regardless of its many transhumanist type possibilities, this has alot of really cool potential even for the technophobic masses. The one that jumps out at me right away is using this in tandem with robotic prosthetics to have artificial limbs that could actually work like "real" organic body parts. Sure you could say that that IS transhumanist... but I mean more in medical terms... for people who've lost limbs, or for those paralyzed, not just to turn all us "normal folk" into cyborg badasses ;)

Another interesting aspect of this would be to try to use this as a basis for a linguistics study. Technology like this could be the start of some kind of Star Trek-esque "universal translator" that can instantly translate thoughts and sounds from one language to another.

·
Registered
504 Posts
I just wanna play Zsnes with my mind, PS2's pressure buttons may be a pain in the rump to do :p

Edit after reading the last post (it wasn't there when I posted): Ouuuu...imagine a world without language, just thought. When I think, it isn't in any certain tongue, it's just thought...sweet...

·
Retired
8,882 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Rhombus said:
Regardless of its many transhumanist type possibilities, this has alot of really cool potential even for the technophobic masses. The one that jumps out at me right away is using this in tandem with robotic prosthetics to have artificial limbs that could actually work like "real" organic body parts. Sure you could say that that IS transhumanist... but I mean more in medical terms... for people who've lost limbs, or for those paralyzed, not just to turn all us "normal folk" into cyborg badasses ;)
Indeed, that's why the current emphasis is on the disabled (tests are being conducted solely on quadriplegic people).

But you know that I'm an enthusiastic transhumanist, so I couldn't help daydreaming about it ;)

S

·
0 Posts
remote controlling a mech with my mind sounds like fun.
...or something like that.

anyway, intriguing, even if somewhat scary ...calll me conservative; 'cause I am.
and, yeah, I know the drill. a century ago, cars were scary as well. :)

·
Retired
8,882 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
BTW, what's most amusing to me in this whole issue is that myself and Proto have been heavily criticized in the past just for suggesting that brain-computer interfaces could be built one day.
And now it seems are hapenning faster than I previously thought ;)

·
Registered
317 Posts
I think its great, and its good that they are trying to help the disabled people.

The only problem I have is what if this technology gets in the wrong hands, or what if the government installs those chips in all of us and we turn into some sort of zombies! :(

OMG! What if Im being controlled right now!?!

PS: I LOVE THE GOVERNMENT! :bow:

·
Knowledge is the solution
7,168 Posts
Sigh... as usual the first reaction is usually a phobic one.... quite a shame. I feel absolutely and gratly astonished myself. The constructive possibilities of this discovery are well known to many(from the obvious enhancement of our physical body with real prostetic parts, to the more sutile, yet more important enhacement of our own mind), yet that it happened this early... I think it's a surprise for most :)

In a sense this could lead to the final industrial revolution... after this it will all be continued progress :D

Thanks for the news Boltz :thumb:

·
Nu...
472 Posts
When this becomes publicly available, I want one! :p
Seriously though, I was just reading an article a few days ago on brain implants, etc it is exciting to see that there is actual application rather than simply concepts.

·
Emulation Junkie
828 Posts
One word....MATRIX!!!!! Just think of the fight between Neo and Morpheus in the first movie....imagine actually being able to go "inside" your computer and on the internet and fight someone else one on one!!! Or, Halo even, for instance.

/me drools

·
Nu...
472 Posts
Oh by the way Boltz, kudos for the website itself as well, I'm always on the lookout for new news sources :D

·
Retired
8,882 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
JanusX said:
Oh by the way Boltz, kudos for the website itself as well, I'm always on the lookout for new news sources :D
If you like this kind of news, don't forget to check out BetterHumans.com and KurzweilAI.net , in case you don't know them already.

I got these news on the KurzweilAI newsletter, but BetterHumans is already covering it too.

Proto said:
...yet that it happened this early... I think it's a surprise for most :)
Yeah, even for myself, and I tend to be quite optimistic when it comes to technological development. I didn't expect it to happen so fast - though of course I know that commercial applications are probably still a decade away (though I hope that I'm wrong again :D ).

·
Emulation to the max!
2,560 Posts
This is some really neat stuff. Though I don't think I want a chip in my brain. Imagine the blue screen of death 24/7 if it crashes.... EWWW! No but seriously I think it would be great for people who need prothestics* but for the lazy people who want to change the channel or surf the net... I don't think it's that good of an idea.

BTW: how fast would the modem be in one of those babies, 56k? and would it have a little voice saying, you are now connected, or your connection speed is low, find a better reciever?

·
War Games coder
1,926 Posts
I'm a bit skeptical - I'll wait until it reaches a source I trust.

So how long until we get a compiler that makes what we mean, not what we input?

·
<font color="#990000"><b>Lurking</b></font>
9,358 Posts
hmm, I'd be sticking to the ways I am doing it now, so no thanks, I ll pass :)

Yours,
-Elly

·
Retired
8,882 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
KillerShots said:
I'm a bit skeptical - I'll wait until it reaches a source I trust.
Nature is one of the most prestigious and trustworthy scientific journals out there. I would understand you being skeptical of BetterHumans or KurzweilAI, but not Nature.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts