Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Key To The Universe
2,712 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know the difference between PAL and NTSC games, but as far as I understand, PAL games needs to render less frames per second than NTSC games(50fps against 60fps).
So, would epsxe run a game at 55~59 FPS in a NTSC system and at full speed in the PAL version?
In this case, wouldn't PAL games require a less powerful pc than NTSC games?

·
Coffee Demon
2,907 Posts
Hmmm

In essence using an emulator may cause this...but the real reasoning behind 50fps PAL games and 60FPS NTSC games is televisions in Europe..they run at 50hz and require 50fps...unlike televisions based on NTSC standards in Japan and US....

·
Registered
9,506 Posts
Or to be more specific:
(Taken from Betamax Palsite)

NTSC:
NTSC National Television Systems Committee. The name of the television and video standard in use in the United States. Consists of 525 horizontal lines at a field rate of 60 fields per second. (Two fields equals one complete Frame). Only 486 of these lines are used for picture. The rest are used for sync and extra information such as VITC and Closed Captioning. This is the colour video standard used in the United States and Japan.

Pal:
Phase Alternate Line. The television and video standard in use in most of Europe, Hong Kond and the Middle East. Consists of 625 horizontal lines at a field rate of 50 fields per second. (Two fields equals one complete Frame). Only 576 of these lines are used for picture. The rest are used for sync or extra information such as VITC and Closed Captioning.

Both are often jokingly referred to as Never The Same Colour and Pretty Awful Lines which hightlight their inherant problems.

·
Key To The Universe
2,712 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thx for answering, guys. So, PAL games really consumes less resources from the computer. In this case, I really should get more PAL games instead of NTSC ones.

·
playing FGO
10,133 Posts
...but then you'd miss out on some great Japan-only NTSC ones. :p

So i suggest that for NTSC games, use VGS if your computer isn't all that powerful.

·
Key To The Universe
2,712 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Originally posted by Keiichi
...but then you'd miss out on some great Japan-only NTSC ones. :p

So i suggest that for NTSC games, use VGS if your computer isn't all that powerful.
Yeah... maybe.

VGS does not run faster in my pc than epsxe. I have a Voodoo2, and lewpy's plugin can do wonders with it. VGS doesn't even use it, so it sticks to my poor S3 Virge GX2.

·
Lost in Time
2,289 Posts
Originally posted by Zephon

Yeah... maybe.

VGS does not run faster in my pc than epsxe. I have a Voodoo2, and lewpy's plugin can do wonders with it. VGS doesn't even use it, so it sticks to my poor S3 Virge GX2.
Well, for soft rendering it only matters, in therms of vid card, the speed of the ramdac (wich in case of the Virge chipset it is around 230Mhz, compared to new vid ones it's slow, 350Mhz for Voodoo3), but the real difference is in the good'ol raw processing power.

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
Just thought I would point out that Pal Games are slower than NTSC... Music and all is slower.
Also I wouldn't say that you need a less powerfull system to run Pal games, it's all got to do with timing. Pal systems use a different sync clock (Overly simplified) , but under the engine, it's still working as hard as an NTSC system.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts