Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
I♥☣
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I know there are some GameCube (PAL) games that output signal in PAL 60 Hz, but my TV set is not compatible with this mode. Is there any converter that would bring back to normal 50 Hz frequency?

·
Familiar Face
4,971 Posts
There should be something like that at www.lik-sang.com. And they're pretty good, got my VGA box from them, and at a good price.

·
Foundry/Foundation
11,720 Posts
Surely every PAL game should have a 50hz mode? - It's odd not to include it; even though 60hz mode is better; 50hz is the standard, so it should always be supported.

·
I♥☣
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, nearly every GC game supports 50 Hz mode and there are some that allow to choose 50 or 60 Hz. The problem is that some weird titles (one of which I have in my collection) output 60 Hz only. Not including the 50 Hz mode is more stupid than clever.

And I think all the NTSC games will be only 60 Hz compatible on a PAL console (and that applies not only to GC) even if the machine will convert the colour system to the European one. I think all the NTSC to PAL converters work like that.

·
Perpetual Dualism
451 Posts
well hopefully that will be the case for all upcoming games, noone needs crappy 50hz anymore, and nowadays every decent TV supports 60Hz

pal 60 hz > Ntsc (same speed but higher resolution)

·
Familiar Face
4,971 Posts
Leiw said:
well hopefully that will be the case for all upcoming games, noone needs crappy 50hz anymore, and nowadays every decent TV supports 60Hz

The resoulution in SDef (standard definition) isn't much. Not noticable at all by most hardcore gamers. A few lines of res on the horizontal image isn't much to cheer about). ;)

·
I♥☣
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Leiw:
Well, what can I say? I bought my TV set five years ago. It supports PAL, SECAM, NTSC (although I have never tried the last one), but for some odd reason it is incompatible with PAL 60. I have also a very old sovietic TV set (bought some 20 years ago) - it has even no SCART connection (no AV input neither output), it supports only SECAM - but if PAL-to-SECAM decoder is installed, PAL 60 gets represented perfectly with no image distortion.

·
Foundry/Foundation
11,720 Posts
Leiw said:

no it's not; it's NTSC speed but the screen's also stretched; it's 50hz mode that has more lines, but who wants the black borders?
And I think PAL 50 should be supported, because not everyone has a brand new tv.

·
Ocean Soul
1,420 Posts
Isn't there something that when you boot a game cube up and hold B or something that you can chose a mode to play it in? I remember reading that somewhere, but I don't know, I don't own a gamecube.

·
I♥☣
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
VERY few games support that. In most cases you will change nothing (it will display in 50 Hz), in very rare other cases it will only allow you watching the game in 60 Hz.

·
PS2 PAL[v9], PS3Slim PAL
5,370 Posts
Shouldn't RGB cable fix your problem? I don't own it but AFAIK when you have such cable it fixes problem with black&white image on screen with games from another region (example playing ntsc games on pal tv). and since Pal 60 Hz is like NTSC but with few more lines it probably will work (not to mention, that RGB cable gives you better image)

·
Foundry/Foundation
11,720 Posts
well, normal composite cables should just work too....
My PS2 and DC could play PAL60 out of the box

1 - 12 of 12 Posts