1.18:
https://mega.nz/#!JnY3wLTY!v7P2gIkjaUD16GHJTKMpCj_ByO_bAPddEghEmSFl1_4

The initial motivation for this mod was adding a working aspect ratio option
nostalgia took over...

The starting point is a mixture of this from Zenju:
https://sourceforge.net/projects/xbrz/files/ePSXe/

and this from Tapeq:
http://dev.tapek.shst.pl/ePSXe/gpuPeopsSoft.7z

I'm using vs2015, the final build seems a bit faster compared to the original old Pete's plugin
Remember to compile a release build, debug build is not properly configured

Refresh 1.19 changes:

- Updated xBRZ to 1.5
- "Use system memory" in combination with a forced backbuffer depth was causing a black screen (corrected, i just ignore bb depth in this case)
- Added a build with no xBRZ, this is for win xp sp2 and lower (remove USE_XBRZ if you want to build this version)

Refresh 1.18 changes:

Interface changes:

- Cleaned up the resolution combobox

- You can now force 16/15 bits for the backbuffer (use this if you are on windows 8+ and you need more speed)

- Added proper aspect ratio handling
You need to set your monitor aspect ratio and the wanted aspect ratio (default is 16/9 and 4.2/3)
Note: this will work if the fullscreen resolution you choose fill the entire monitor
Example: monitor is 16/9, max res is 1280x720, you set 640x480 (and this fill the entire monitor) -> aspect ratio will work
Example: monitor is 16/9, max res is 1280x720, you set 640x480 (and this gets rendered in 4/3) -> aspect ratio will NOT work
It really depends on gfx card configuration/options for sub-resolutions, but you shuold be able to fix special cases if you play with numbers.
Window mode is always stretched now

- Added overscan top/bottom (pixels removed from the current internal psx resolution)

- Added 6xBRZ

- Removed 1:1 mode, it is silly to mantain imho :)

- Removed the transparent menu option -> replaced it with an option to ignore frame limit callbacks (epsxe turn off the plugin FL on startup and every time you press F4)
This can be useful if you want to use the plugin FL/FS, add F4 in the keys to send at startup and the job is done
(the internal audio plugin don't like this btw, use another plugin if you want to do that)

- Changed some defaults in "Key configuration"

- The gpu infos function (INSERT key default) now show additional debug infos (the internal psx resolution can be useful for users)

- You can now send up to 7 keys to the emulator at startup (for example in epsxe F5 enable analog, F5-F6-F5 enable 2x analog, F4 remove fps limit)
epsxe sometimes ignore keys, try to play with the delay in this case

- Removed the debug option and replaced the F12 function with "cycle aspect ratio modes"

- Removed the scanlines options (they were bugged on my system(s)).

- Replaced fast/nice presets with a reset option

- Removed the copy to clipboard button (it was not mantained/complete anyway)

Internal changes/fixes:

- New registry key for options: "Software\Vision Thing\PSEmu Pro\GPU\PeteSoftMOD2"
So you can keep other versions without messing up the configuration
(MOD2 was the internal name before release, the code is also full of MOD2!!! comments :p)

- Refactored the blitting code (blitters15.h, blitters16.h, blitters32.h, screenModes.h, *getBlit(), *getResize() needs to be aligned if you want to add new resize modes)

- Menu, gun cursor, messages from the emulators are now blitted in the backbuffer (the old way was slow when i started rising the backbuffer resolution for 3x+ modes)
A nice(?) side effect is that all those stuff gets resized in the blitting pipeline

- Fixed all nonworking resize modes (expecially 3x modes were repeatedly abused :) )
Note: xBRZ works in 32 bit only (15/16 bit -> fallback to 1x)

- Removed the 512 width limit for resize modes ("iS" and other few 640xXXX games are now resized correctly)
(the limit can be changed via #define in the code - i was tempted to make the maximum width an option, so we can save video memory per game - but i feel it is not necessary)

- Removed an unneeded blit when using xBRZ (the last one) and reduced memory allocations in this mode
(i'm able to remove the 16->32 bit conversion too, but the code seems faster in this way... maybe something related to the cache?)

- FPS are shown in the window title now

- Fixed the DPI bugs in both window/fullscreen modes

- Fixed bad exit when you close from "x" or with alt+f4 (i send a virtual "esc" key for this - a bit hacky)

- Fixed alt-enter toggle (there should be no more slowdowns)
It seems that if you esc and after continue from epsxe, i'm no more able to obtain DDSCL_EXCLUSIVE | DDSCL_FULLSCREEN mode
This works correctly in epsxe 1.5.2, so i guess is something related to recent versions of epsxe

- Fixed bugs when you lose focus/alt-tab from fullscreen mode (i automatically switch in windows mode in this case)

·
Registered
61 Posts
Very cool to see an old plugin get updated, I was just thinking the other day about ePSXe, PS1 nostalgia, and feeling an itch to play something from that era, this is some crazy timing.

·
Fluffy Animal Admirer
3,398 Posts
Wow, glad to see PSX work still being done :p

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
despite the age, i think this is still an awesome plugin.
it was the fastest on an old single core atom @1.33 GHz and the buggy gma500.
with the excuse to make this netbook for the kids... i found myself playing crash b., bloody roar 2 and ... i watched the ff7 intro like 10 times... for testing xD

·
Registered
43 Posts
I signed up to this forum to thank you for this awesome plugin. :)

I thought using this software GPU plugin would've fixed the black water issue I'm having with PCSX-R and Tomb Raider II but it didn't. I don't know what's causing this issue because this doesn't happen with PCSX-R and the first Tomb Raider game.

·
Registered
299 Posts

·
Registered
2,169 Posts
still needs some work on dithering... see lots and lots of color banding unless I force it to dither everything and even then there is still some slight banding and using esc to exit back to epsxe causes weird mouse issues.. it disappears over the epsxe window and after you exit is moves completely off screen..I'd imagine (not tried yet) that when switching disks it could be a hassle since the mouse cursor is invisible)

·
Registered
43 Posts
@Alien Grey If you are using pcsxr-1.9.93 you need to upgrade to a newer version. The black water issue
was fixed after pcsxr-1.9.93 came out.

You can try pcsxrs-14OCT2016 found in the link below at the last post.

http://ngemu.com/threads/pcsx-reloaded-us-ntsc-compatibility-list.159996/

If that does not work on windows 10 you can try pcsxr-97809S found here look through the posts.

http://ngemu.com/threads/pcsx-reloaded-plugin-issues-with-windows-10.179177/#post-2419113
Thanks a lot for this updated PCSX-R build. I'm using the pcsxrs-14OCT2016 build. The black water issue with Tomb Raider is fixed. :)

Back on topic. I've tried 16 and 15 bit as Backbuffer depth but it didn't work. The game is running because I can hear the sound but the screen stays black.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
hi, i need more infos to try replicate the stuffs, some hardware infos, os version, plugin/settings used, exact emulator/version used
about 16/15 bit backb. did you eventually used it with the system memory option? (in this case it is already reported/corrected on the next build)

about the color banding, did you see that on the original plugin too? (working on this require more study on the psx internals... something i'm not going to do :) )

PS: the mouse problem seems so strange to me, did this happen on the original old version too?

EDIT: afaik there is no mouse code in this plugin, it is all handled by epsxe... (just need more info to try replicate this)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
ye it is a bad combo and i'll fix that on the next release (ignoring the backbuffer parameter).

Are you on XP?
afaik win 7 and later disable bilinear anyway since the plugin uses directdraw.

Also the best way to get a full 16 bit pipeline is to set fullscreen+16bit and leave bb depth as default (this should work on win7 or lower, win8+ no more support 16bit fullscreen, this is the case where the backbuffer depth is useful)

·
Registered
43 Posts
I'm using Windows 10 X64 Anniversary Update. I didn't try if it makes any difference. I just disabled it because it makes the image look a bit blur with both xBRZ and bilinear filtering.

·
Registered
2,169 Posts
for me win 10 x64 , epsxe 2.0.5... banding on original peops??..dunno.. I'll have to DL it and check...it COULD be an epsxe thing, but the internal software plugin doesn't have it, but using shaders, sometimes it will pop up with the software side...
mouse issue is strange, almost as though surface (GDI or what ever -dx/oigl render surface being used) control is not passed completely back/released causing the epsxe window to not render the mouse cursor, it renders fine OUTSIDE the epsxe window, just as soon as you move it to inside, to select an ISO or even close it, it disappears.....I will obtain the original peops and update with it's results

****UPDATE*****
Both issue are present in the original, so I suppose unless someone wants to update the rendering (Dithering, etc code) they will remain!! :)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
The mouse issue is strange.
I tested on win 10 x64 and epsxe 2.0.5 but it is all working fine here.

All i can tell is:
- epsxe hide the mouse only when the game is running (inside the game window or full hide in fullscreen)
- epsxe full hide the mouse even on window mode, if you select a gun as input

Also quoting myself:

- Fixed alt-enter toggle (there should be no more slowdowns)
It seems that if you esc and after continue from epsxe, i'm no more able to obtain DDSCL_EXCLUSIVE | DDSCL_FULLSCREEN mode
This works correctly in epsxe 1.5.2, so i guess is something related to recent versions of epsxe

The error i get in this case indicate locked resources, preventing me to get exclusive fullscreen again in this particular case.
Afaik there is a correct resource release on the plugin side (add the fact that this does not happen on epsxe 1.5.2), i suspect there is something wrong on epsxe side.

You could try epsxe 1.5.2 and try also on a different machine.
It seems something related to epsxe + your software/hardware configuration i would say.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Any idea why it runs better with system memory enabled than without it?

I'm using Intel HD Graphics so it's already using the system memory so I shouldn't see any difference. :confused:

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
what you mean for "running better"?
on my case (gtx660 & gtx1050ti) i see no frame rate difference for example
probably it is something related to drivers and the integrated gfx
i also think that, being directdraw deprecated, there is an additional layer on win10 implementing directdraw with direct3d, it is difficult to know that is exactly going on :)

EDIT: did you forced framebuffer depth (16/15) when testing both modes?

1 - 20 of 87 Posts