Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Pilgrim
9,687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dailytech.
Now one college is taking a controversial stand against its student's obesity. Lincoln University has given its plump students an ultimatum -- take a fitness course that meets three hours per week or don't graduate.

The university has began testing its students body mass indexes. Those with a BMI above 30 kg/m2 must enroll in the fitness course. The requirement was rolled out a couple years ago, but is just now gaining attention as the first class of students affected, those entering in the fall of 2006, will soon be looking to graduate. To make sure those with overly muscular physique (which can give abnormally high BMI) don't get improperly singled out, the school also screens by waist size.

The mandated course, dubbed "Fitness for Life", consists of activities including water aerobics, Tai Bo and aerobic dance. Approximately 12 to 15 students still have to take the class this year to graduate, according to Mr. DeBoy's estimates. About 620 students already either took the course or tested out.

Some lawyers, though, warn that the policy may land the school in legal hot water. States David Kairys, professor of law at Temple University Law School in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, "The part that seems excessive is forcing them to take this course, or to exercise three hours a week, which isn't a bad idea for them, but should be their choice."
Your thoughts.

·
Curiously Cheddar
2,077 Posts
Should be mandatory for alot of courses. I don't think it should blatantly be across the board though.

I don't imagine it would affect someones ability to perform studies in classic literature or philosophy (forexample).

On the other hand, for a course like nursing, or physiotherapy, it should be a good bit longer than a mere 3 hours a week.

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
I don't have words for this... oO oO

·
Heroes Might& Magic Champ
4,713 Posts
Its one of those tough questions. People should be able to do what they want, and their graduation should be based on their academic marks.

But on the other hand this will do them a world of good. There are some elements missing from this program, such as a courses on eating habits and the benefits of healthy eating.

Its pointless to go work out then fill up on north american style diets primarily consisting of foods containing fast burning carbs.

silenus said:
he mandated course, dubbed "Fitness for Life", consists of activities including water aerobics, Tai Bo and aerobic dance
Haha Tae bo (aka Taibo)
Time to take a lesson from Billy Blanks creator of this cheesy 90s exercise regime.

·
Tushy :3
5,162 Posts
I thought this was going to be in a high school setting. I thought it was a good idea, but I'd make everyone in the school do it instead of just focusing on the overweight kids. I mean come on, they already must be having a hard time in high school without being singled out by the school to make them lose weight.

But now they are doing this in a college? I find that amusing for some reason. And also that it is a silly idea. :lol:

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
I thought this was going to be in a high school setting. I thought it was a good idea, but I'd make everyone in the school do it instead of just focusing on the overweight kids. I mean come on, they already must be having a hard time in high school without being singled out by the school to make them lose weight.

But now they are doing this in a college? I find that amusing for some reason. And also that it is a silly idea. :lol:
I agree with you, but for me it's not only a silly idea, it's an ORIGINAL idea (and a sorprendent idea). xD

·
Registered
7,340 Posts
I don't agree with this for college level. By college people have chosen their lifestyle, they're paying to be there. They're a customer, that's what post-secondary institutions seem to be forgetting.

For public schools, though, I completely agree. Physical eduction is as important as mental.

·
Registered
2,166 Posts
i would agree with this if it was only for certain courses, where you actually need to be psyically fit, but hell, there PAYING to be there, why should they be forced into fitness courses if it isnt essential to them passing their chosen course and more importantly why should they pay for something they dont want.

See this is why there is a P.E lessions in academy (i think most people refer to this one as high school?) and primary school, if it hasent made a difference, i dont see why they should be forced to go through it again.

·
You're already dead...
5,472 Posts
i don't agree with this.
college should be about mental education; your physical appearance shouldn't be an issue.

i would HATE to have required fitness classes at uni.

·
Premium Member
6,338 Posts
I think forcing students to execise is too much. A well-rounded health and diet education would be more suitable (instruct students on the importance of good health, teach them about proven weight-loss techniques, instruct them on various fraud diets, etc.).

·
Nii Yugito fangirl #1
1,333 Posts
I find this to be quite sick, really. It doesn't even have any effect anyway. So what if they're forced to exercise? Will this make them exercise once they graduate? Not likely. And wasn't the idea to keep people fit out of school?

·
Drowning in a red state.
9,083 Posts
I took my sat and one of the passages was dealing with Universities becoming a consumer experience. I see the excerpt was accurate :3.

I give my approval, i'm with cheesus 3 hours a [GT][/GT]week is too little y do 10 hours per week
Because they would never get away with it, that is why.

10 Hours a week of work out is overkill unless you are body building.

·
Heroes Might& Magic Champ
4,713 Posts
It's a good idea in some sense but I'm against anything that forces people to do anything... I think its oppression.
So you are against paying your taxes and obeying the law? :p

·
Registered
8,294 Posts
So you are against paying your taxes and obeying the law? :p
Exactly...

I think its oppressing, something that's a crime here might be normal elsewhere... Its not like the laws are a universal truth.

Plus as the society is so damn corrupted with money grubbing a**holes that I don't have much faith in this so called "justice" anyways. They're screwing around with tiny details while the who crap is falling down on them.

Its a wonderful s*itty world we live in!:D ...But I'm still enjoying as much as I can!:p

·
The one and only
3,660 Posts
I have 2 opinions:
It would be a good idea if it was for everybody, not when you single people out by weight class. In an age where the industries pay major money to influence consumers, a class that teaches how to live healthy is becoming necessary, especially when the US is the 3rd ranked country in highest percent obesity (~60%)
Otherwise, i agree with spyhop

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.