Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Pink Poney
728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
techPowerUp :: NVIDIA's shady trick to boost the GeForce 9600GT Review :: Page 1 / 4

I hadn't known about this..
I was reading a review on my 9800GX2 when I came upon the fact that the gpu clock is linked to the frequency of the PCI-E frequency, and that increasing this frequency will subsequently provide a generous overclock to the gpu. I might try this method of overclocking soon...anyone else know about this or have any success with it?

· From Love and Limerence
6,584 Posts
Yeah, that URL has been posted before (though I don't think it was given it's own thread). I think that's only for the 9600GT, by the way, and even if it does affect all, you're probably better off just overclocking the GPU itself. The PCI Express tends not to like going higher than ~110-115 (from a default of 100MHz) anyway.

· Pink Poney
728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think the PCI-E bus will affect my video card, at least that's what it said in the techpowerup review. And yes, I suspected that I couldn't take the PCI-E much higher than 100mhz, I just thought it was an interesting alternative to just oc'ing the core directly.

· Level 9998
10,591 Posts
Actually, PCI-E can reach about 120MHz without crapping hardwares out on some... specific motherboards. It doesn't do much, though, as games rarely saturate that amount of bandwidth.

And definitely no difference with the GeForce 9600GT even thought it "seems" like it would.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.