Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
troubleshooter
7,514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How much do you think I can overclock my AMD 4400+ on stock cooling so that it remains stable and does not burn.

ps: I don't know anything about overclocking, but my computer has overclocking options so I think with some help I can overclock just a little.

·
Your resident reaper...
6,031 Posts
Looks like an average of 2.4-2.8Ghz overclock.

I haven't overclocked an AMD chip in a long time... If I remember right, AMDs HT(or HTT?) is like Intels FSB. Just keep incrementing it until it isn't stable anymore. Then up the voltage a bit.

Rinse and repeat.

·
From Love and Limerence
6,574 Posts
Go into your boards' BIOS. You usually use "Delete" or sometimes "F2" on immediate startup (tap it repeatedly) to enter the BIOS. The settings should be in there, if your board has overclocking options.

What motherboard do you have?

What are your temperatures at idle and under load (Orthos or Prime95 is a good way to check the latter so we have an idea of a normal load).

·
From Love and Limerence
6,574 Posts
If what I've briefly searched is any indicator, that board can overclock, but just barely. It has no CPU voltage control, which stops you in your tracks basically. You can just adjust the FSB and FSB voltage, among a few other simple things. You won't get far. My brother's PC with an AsRock board that can overclock but has no CPU voltage control can't get much past stock. The CPU is rated for 2.8GHz but isn't totally stable at even 3.0GHz under load. I never tried 2.9GHz, but it wouldn't be worth it. I doubt those kinds of boards lock the AGP, PCI Express, PCI, or IDE frequencies either, which can be dangerous past a certain level. I honestly wouldn't bother with it on that board. The small increase (and I emphasize the word "small") wouldn't be worth it.

·
Registered
2,882 Posts
Idle? 47? Degrees celsius? Limited overclocking options there.

4400 X2 is 2.4 Ghz isn't it? Hmm. I'm expecting 2.8Ghz at max with no voltage changes.
(233x12)

If you manage 2.8Ghz expect temps to go as high as +60c when using Orthos to test stability, not a safe temperature.

·
Registered Anime Hater
8,674 Posts
Also download/install Prime95, its benchmarking tool with which you can test the stability of your overclocked system (or alternatively, just run PCSX2 for a while but this has a variety of tests which strain specific components so its better to use it).

If you want to find out where the overclocking options are in the BIOS, pick up the manual that came with your mobo, that's the best advice since options obviously differ from model to model.

I'm on stock and have a good ~500MHz OC, shouldn't be hard for you, no major temp increase. If you're using that dusty old case though, I wouldn't recommend it, not good airflow.
Psssttt...its an AMD, not a C2D :p

·
troubleshooter
7,514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
If you want to find out where the overclocking options are in the BIOS, pick up the manual that came with your mobo, that's the best advice since options obviously differ from model to model.
Where do you think I got the Idea about overclocking from and my system specs.

its all written in the manual and the pc specification sheet.:D

·
troubleshooter
7,514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I only searched for my graphics card(here), rest of the system was configured according to my budget and I didn't know much about Intel and AMD back then. All I knew was that AMD is cheap and works as fast as Intel for lesser price.
If I would have known about AMD's cons I would have convinced my dad to buy me an Intel computer.

·
Banned
23,263 Posts
overclocking has become so complex... im gunna have to learn it all over again.

·
Banned
23,263 Posts
overclocking a C2D is gunna be more like overclocking a AthlonXP, then trying to overclock a Athlon64.

·
Final Fantasy XXX
2,413 Posts
I might have to re-learn to overclock with Core i7...

1 - 20 of 55 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.