Next Generation Emulation banner

21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Your resident reaper...
6,031 Posts
Oh come now! Watercooling is just another hobby! Who the heck here doesn't spend money on their hobbies :lol:

Ah well, maybe the watercooling bug will bite you one day :p

·
Hackin 'n Slashin
28,630 Posts
And why exactly have you smashed the safety limit of a 1.35 vCore to bits with that 1.408 vCore? A high OC is nice and all but unless money grows on trees for you, you should remain well within the saftey limit.

·
Site Owner
14,909 Posts
Do you have a $300 comp from wall-mart Interverse? No? Then you are obviously a computer enthusiest. No one needs a Ferrari F430. A Corvette Zo6 is faster. But if someone gave you one, which would you take.

And water is definetly not over-rated. If it was, Porsches would still have air cooled engines.

My old setup was pulling 77c during load (my room is right next to the furnace.) When I switched to water, I cut my temps by 20c. Even with Pcsx2 plus epsxe and znes open simultainulsy, I olny reach 53c. Try that with air.

And liqud Nitrogen is foolish to use as coolant. First of all, LN2 can reach 77c above absolute 0. Which will snap your cpu in half if used for prolonged use.....say a hour. LN2 is used for overclocking marathons only, as it's complete over kill for anything else. Phase change is a step below, but still over kill. I was debating on getting phase change for my next build, but no company has built a unit that can fit inside a standard atx case. (Vapochill has a terrifcally ugly case that's costs as much as my house, which by no means is a descrepit shack)

So Interverse, stop fighting it :p. If you ever go i7, just know that 50% of i7 extreme owners use water cooling.

·
Thinking outside the box
1,570 Posts
I'm curious, how much did you overclocked your CPU Phil? And how much Vcore(cpu-z) are you on?

While i'm at it, what room temperature ^^ ?

E8500 Max vcore is 1.3625V
Intel® Core™2 Duo Desktop Processor E8500 - SLB9K

And woot 38C Core temperature at 4.6Ghz... Those E0 steppings are crazy, mine is baking around at 33C and there is a scythe mugen on it. And it's only at 3.6Ghz >.< (room temperature 20)

Have you tried IntelBurnTest yet nullifer? I haven't saw a program yet that could stress a CPU more than IntelburnTest. (don't blame me if you fry your CPU btw, 1.408vcore oO)
Should your CPU survive it, could you tell me what temperatures ^.^ ? And get HWmonitor to read the CPU temperature, i only see your CPU core temps.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Hello,

I don't understand who the vcore comments are pointed at, me or Phill?

I'm running 1.5 for the voltage to the core, and at idle I'm getting 35°c

I don't think I'm going to end up buring anything at those temperatures.

I really want to find a way to manually controll the speed of my Arctic Cooler Freezer 7 Pro though...
Speedfan doesn't change sh++
And in the Bios I only have 3 options, silent, standard, and turbo.
Even running at turbo settings this fan is practically silent.

Oh I figured out why I was getting errors and problems... I thought I had the CPU overclocked too far.
But it wasn't that.
I had my GPU overclocked too far
Before it was passing the tests, then all of a sudden is wasn't passing them anymore.
i brought down the speed, and no more problems.
....for now...

·
Opensource-spice
1,503 Posts
Do you have a $300 comp from wall-mart Interverse? No? Then you are obviously a computer enthusiest. No one needs a Ferrari F430. A Corvette Zo6 is faster. But if someone gave you one, which would you take.

And water is definetly not over-rated. If it was, Porsches would still have air cooled engines.

My old setup was pulling 77c during load (my room is right next to the furnace.) When I switched to water, I cut my temps by 20c. Even with Pcsx2 plus epsxe and znes open simultainulsy, I olny reach 53c. Try that with air.

And liqud Nitrogen is foolish to use as coolant. First of all, LN2 can reach 77c above absolute 0. Which will snap your cpu in half if used for prolonged use.....say a hour. LN2 is used for overclocking marathons only, as it's complete over kill for anything else. Phase change is a step below, but still over kill. I was debating on getting phase change for my next build, but no company has built a unit that can fit inside a standard atx case. (Vapochill has a terrifcally ugly case that's costs as much as my house, which by no means is a descrepit shack)

So Interverse, stop fighting it :p. If you ever go i7, just know that 50% of i7 extreme owners use water cooling.
I was kidding about the nitrogen, come on.

...There's still one thing bugging me, though. Why are your temps so damn high and why is your PC next to a furnace? That's a horrid place for a PC.

let alone, that's a horrid place to be sitting next to your PC, as well. Have you checked your personal temps, Phil?

Hello,

I'm running 1.5 for the voltage to the core.
...W.T.F.??

Ok, right now. Restart your PC... good now take that vcore down to 1.4v! That's quite a bit much, man.

·
Thinking outside the box
1,570 Posts
Hello,

First one was at Phil

Second one was at you:

quoting myself
Have you tried IntelBurnTest yet nullifer? I haven't saw a program yet that could stress a CPU more than IntelburnTest. (don't blame me if you fry your CPU btw, 1.408vcore )
Should your CPU survive it, could you tell me what temperatures ^.^ ? And get HWmonitor to read the CPU temperature, i only see your CPU core temps.

I really want to find a way to manually controll the speed of my Arctic Cooler Freezer 7 Pro though...
Speedfan doesn't change sh++
And in the Bios I only have 3 options, silent, standard, and turbo.
Even running at turbo settings this fan is practically silent.

Oh I figured out why I was getting errors and problems... I thought I had the CPU overclocked too far.
But it wasn't that.
I had my GPU overclocked too far
Before it was passing the tests, then all of a sudden is wasn't passing them anymore.
i brought down the speed, and no more problems.
....for now...
And err errors during Prime or Orthos your talking about?? GPU don't have anything to do with Orthos/Prime :rolleyes:

And screenshot plz of the vcore 1.50 :D I'm suprise you still haven't toasted your CPU.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
I just lowered the voltage to the cpu and now I'm idleing at 33°c
Not so sure yet if I'm going to get a blue screen while in game though.
For now it seems ok..

Had to turn up the voltage...

·
Hackin 'n Slashin
28,630 Posts
1.35v is safe voltage....

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #31 (Edited)
Here it is.
4,5GHZ at 1.5v

I can play fallout 3 at these settings with no problems! :evil:

this is as High as I think I'm going to go..

·
Hackin 'n Slashin
28,630 Posts
1.5v huh? Better start saving for a new chip, you will be lucky if this one lasts you 6 months....

·
Site Owner
14,909 Posts
Interverse: Rofl
My room is next to the furnace room, not in the furnaced room (its in the basement of my house.

As my room is ALWAYS hot, its not the best place to have a comp, I agree with you there IV. But theres a reasonabled tradeoff. I have a walk out basement, and the ability to enter and leave undetected makes up for the higher then normal temps :evil:.
On the ogther hand my temps at 4.4ghz drops to 23c if open the door to outside, but according to RAP, that's considered cheating :p.

And Sephi, I cooked my chip at 1.5 at 4.5ghz for a week (i bought this chip as an extra). Its C0 by the way. I might get a E0 to see what the fuss is all about, but im waiting to see what i7 matures too.
Oh and iv that 77c was for my old e4500 at 3.3ghz with Stock intel fan :lol:

·
From Love and Limerence
6,574 Posts

Here it is.
4,5GHZ at 1.5v

this is as High as I think I'm going to go..
Say goodbye to your CPU in a few weeks or a few months at most. At almost 1.55V, you're literally trashing your CPU. Don't think temperatures are all there is to it. These 45nm parts use smaller transistors that simply get damaged with too much voltage running through them. Temperatures are irrelevant if the voltage is still high. Ask RunAwayPrisoner. He started taking his E8400 to 1.6V (I think even 1.7V) on suicide runs to get 4.5GHz and beyond. Guess what? That CPU is dead now.

You won't burn it up, no. You'll fry it.

1.4V is what's considered the limit among most. I choose to be a bit conservative and stay below 1.375V, being below 1.35V ideal. Who knows what other voltages (FSB Termination, CPU PLL) you may have set real high.

Do not set these values unless you understand the risk. Simply saying "it needs more voltage for stability, so up I'll increase it" isn't going to cut it. If that were the case and it were that easy, we'd all be having CPUs with an extra 500MHz at least on them. Too low and it's unstable, too high and it's dangerous. You have to find the spot between and then go a good two notches above where it wasn't stable.

We're only warning you because you are damaging your CPU right now, and personally, being someone sitting on a CPU that can load in the 60s and 70s from those stress test programs (haven't tried with my new cooler for load yet, so it may be lower now, but idle only dropped a small bit, so I'm sure it's that my CPU is just terrible with temperatures), I'd hate to see one that does so well on temperatures just get killed. You've probably already done some damage, so take it down now before you kill it.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Hello,

Well yes I know that you're just giving me tips and trying to help me not ruin my cpu.
You have all always been really helpful and I really appreciate that.
:D

Well now I'm running at 4,37GHZ at vcore 1.352 (it was 1.375 in bios)

Could someone help me get my speed back up to 4,5ghz without increasing my vcore?

thank you :p

·
Hackin 'n Slashin
28,630 Posts
It's not neccessarily possible, hardware has it's limits as well. Not everyone is able to take an E8500 to 4.5Ghz. Why can't you just be happy with 4.37? It's already plenty and plenty that not too many people out there get.

Also we were not giving tips, we were warning you, heck pleeing with you not to ruin your PC.

·
From Love and Limerence
6,574 Posts
Hello,

Well yes I know that you're just giving me tips and trying to help me not ruin my cpu.
You have all always been really helpful and I really appreciate that.
:D

Well now I'm running at 4,37GHZ at vcore 1.352 (it was 1.375 in bios)

Could someone help me get my speed back up to 4,5ghz without increasing my vcore?

thank you :p
Personally, if I could get 4.5GHz with 1.4V, I'd probably run that 24/7 as long as temperatures were okay. That's probably what you'd be looking at. You may have to set it higher in the BIOS. I couldn't tell you exactly where to set it, as that depends on motherboard. For example, mine can be as low as .2V lower than set due to vdrop/vdroop with Loadline Calibration enabled, and as high as ~.5V lower than set with it disabled. I used to run that enabled, but have heard many people say it's best disabled with the 45nm CPUs, so I've disabled it. It sounds like your about .25V lower, which is the rough norm from what I can gather. I'd say set it to 1.4V and hope it'll do 4.5GHz, and if not, try 1.4225V (which should result in ~1.4V due to vdrop/vdroop), but if that fails, go no higher. Considering the voltage you've already run through it, there's bound to have been some sort of damage or degradation, so realize that this is about the limit itself, so don't do this unless you're willing to risk it. This is a new to you (and good sample!) CPU, so consider the risks. As I said, I would myself, but then again consider how close I'm pushing mine regarding temperatures (actually, it seems to load at least 10C lower with this new cooler, but the small improvement still tells me my CPU is a bad sample... oh well), so I do push my stuff (sure, not every E8500 does 4.5GHz, but I'd want to try and make sure mine was one of the ones that does), so don't do it because I say I would unless getting a new CPU isn't out of the question should this one die.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
It's not neccessarily possible, hardware has it's limits as well. Not everyone is able to take an E8500 to 4.5Ghz. Why can't you just be happy with 4.37? It's already plenty and plenty that not too many people out there get.
No, I am happy with 4.37 :D
I would personally just like to be able to push my knowledge of overclockig as far as possible.
-----

About running the cpu at 1.5,
Well I wasn't running it at 1.5 always.
It was very short periods of time I was running it at that voltage, most of the time was at 1.4

This is actually the lowest I have been able to keep the voltage without getting errors in Prime95

I thought I was going to get an instant reboot or a blue screen as soon as i started it up.... But thats not the case. :D

So if someone has some other ideas, like ram settings, or nb voltage or sb voltage, that will help make the system run the fsb higher with less voltage to the cpu please let me know!

·
Your resident reaper...
6,031 Posts
Cutting your CPU multiplier can increase your FSB by another chunk, but your overall CPU speed won't change. So unless you actually use an application that demands more FSB, there's really no point. And obviously your aim is to hit a higher CPU speed, so that method is pretty moot with you :lol:

You could notch up your NB, but if you do, I'd get some active cooling on it. NBs run hot and the fancy heatsink on them nowadays help, but it's always useful to have a fan blowing on it. And there's no need to touch your SB at all, that just controls hard drives and other non essential to overclocking components.

Seriously, if 1.4vcore can't get you 4.5Ghz, then unless you're willing to burn your CPU in a couple/few months, just stick with it ;)

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
Yes the P5Q-E has a nice big heatsink on it.

I planned on replacing it before i recieved the actual product, but when i pulled it out i was like, oh!

this is what i had bought.
Cooler Master RT-UCL-L4U1 Blue ICE

what would be an example of a nice fan to put on it?

21 - 40 of 42 Posts