Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

Ok all parts have arrived, I have put them together, everything is working nicely.
I have been playing some games on it, for example Fallout 3.
I have The Graphics set to ultra, with max resolution.
It was running perfectly up till i installed the patch..
It's not running slowly or anything, you can just see that it's not performing at it's maximum as it was before the patch..,

So I think it's about time I start Overclocking my PC.
So I have never done this before, so please tell me some devices for overclocking and how to safely do it.
(Devices perferable official)

I have the Asus P5Q-E
Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 3,16 GHZ
Ram Corsair 4GB
Video Card Twintech 9800GTX+ XT OC Heat Pipe Fan (it has 2 fans on it)
Arctic Cooler Freezer Pro 7

OK!
Please help!

·
The Master of Disguise
808 Posts
Why not just remove the patch that u installed?

Before thinking of OCing, download Real Temp to check ur temps and see if u are able to push that processor more.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Anyone else reccomend this application?

I don't seem to be finding an official site for it, so I'm kind of iffy about that...

If anyone has a better idea for example a product from NVIDIA or Intel or something that has an official site and is highly reccomended I would appreciate it.

thanks.

·
Your resident reaper...
6,031 Posts
Intel TAT, CoreTemp, Real Temp, Speedfan...they're all common programs used by enthusiasts. Just download from a known site ;)

·
Opensource-spice
1,503 Posts
Use coretemp, but don't run the actual game to benchmark until you're sure your core is stable; use a third-party benching tool like superpi or cputest and make sure your PC can take the strain with good temps.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok Using Real Temp.

My Core Temps have come up

23 26

this is well after playing for 4 hours and having the computer on all day..

Seems pretty safe to push it... right?

·
Your resident reaper...
6,031 Posts
Definitely. What does CoreTemp and Intel TAT say though? Always a good idea to a median temp reading with more then 1 application.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
I'll check that now

So Where to begin?

Do I need another application for monitoring my GPU temp? (is that even possible?)

Thanks.

Real Temp: 23 26
Core Temp: 28 31
Intel tat: doesn't let me open it

·
Your resident reaper...
6,031 Posts
Ok, temps seem fine.

First, do what this thread tells you to.

Modded ASUS P5Q/Pro/Deluxe/Premium BIOS - XtremeSystems Forums

Update your BIOS with the one provided in that thread. Xtreme peeps use the BIOS that's most stable with overclocking, even if it's not the latest one. After that...just read through the thread. People post up BIOS settings that are used as guidelines by other members when overclocking with the same motherboard.

As for monitoring GPU temps...try Nvidia Ntune. I hardly monitor my GPU temps though, they can take quite a bit of heat. Usually people hit a overclock wall on their video cards before the temps start to get dangerous.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Ok in the last message i deleted I was asking how to overclock... Well Never Mind i figured it out!

First overclock running cold at 4,6GHZ!

At this point I think I'm going to push it alittle further....

·
Your resident reaper...
6,031 Posts
Did you stress test it yet with Prime95, Orthos or the like? Just cause it boots into Windows doesn't make it stable...

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ok I did the stress test with Prime95 at 4,5GHZ. Everythings ok there, no overheating (obiously hehe...)
No errors, no reboots...

Well as soon as I turn it up to 4,6 I get an error Rounding was 0.5 expected less than 0.4

I tried turning up the Voltage to the cpu... Didn't change the problem.

What do I need to do to go beyond?

thanks

·
Site Owner
14,909 Posts
Is it just me, or why is everybody getting below 30c temps?? Do you guys live in Ice boxes?? Granted my temps never go over 53, but im using water + lapped cpu. I idle at 38. I know my vcore is sky high, but this is ridiculous. I have a C0 e8400, perhaps thats the reason.oO

And people stress test for 24 hours. 1 or two will not cut it.

nullifer make sure you run two instances of Prime 95 with affinity

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'm reading alot about on loosening up the ram timings.

Which value needs to be changed inside the Bios to achive this?
And what will I achive with it?

Sorry remember I'm still new to this...

·
Your resident reaper...
6,031 Posts
Ok I did the stress test with Prime95 at 4,5GHZ. Everythings ok there, no overheating (obiously hehe...)
No errors, no reboots...

Well as soon as I turn it up to 4,6 I get an error Rounding was 0.5 expected less than 0.4

I tried turning up the Voltage to the cpu... Didn't change the problem.

What do I need to do to go beyond?

thanks
Leave the stress test on over night when you're sleeping. If you're getting errors off the bat with 4.6Ghz, I can't see you being 4.5Ghz stable after only a couple hours of testing...

Increase the northbridge voltage. Asus has it as MCH voltage I believe...

·
Your resident reaper...
6,031 Posts
oO

Overpriced, maybe. But if you do some snooping around you can find decent deals anywhere on watercooling stuff. And use of your imagination.

Overrated, I don't think so. Plus, for most watercoolers, it's more of a hobby for us then anything else :lol:

·
Opensource-spice
1,503 Posts
oO

Overpriced, maybe. But if you do some snooping around you can find decent deals anywhere on watercooling stuff. And use of your imagination.

Overrated, I don't think so. Plus, for most watercoolers, it's more of a hobby for us then anything else :lol:
Price per performance almost makes it completely gimmick-like.

·
Your resident reaper...
6,031 Posts
Not really. This may come off as snobish, but it's not meant to be.

If people have the money, time and patience to watercool, that's their decision. Most of the people watercooling don't have issues with the cost. If you read through Xtreme forums liquid cooling section, everyone there hardly talks about the price. I know when I was busy reading all their recent threads no ones whined about the prices of the materials.

Quite a few do watercooling for the noise factor. Having 6 screaming fans doesn't sound too pleasant to me. I'd rather have a triple rad with fans tuned to half speed and near silence tyvm.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts