Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
As I'm about to step into the realm of overclocking, I'm left with yet another question. This is what I got right now:
XP 1800+ multiplier unlocked
PC2100 256MB x 2 (one Mushkin and another Samsung/Kingston)
Epox 8k3a
Since my RAMs are slow, I won't be able to push the FSB too far and so I'll have to concentrate on pushing the multiplier. What are the benefits of OC'ing the FSB as oppose to the multiplier and vice versa?
Thanks.

·
Premium Member
26,303 Posts
Overclocking the FSB gives you more avaliable bandwidth. The Multiplier means that you don't put hte AGP/PCI bus at a speed that it's not used to.

·
Premium Member
8,586 Posts
Kane-Sama said:
The Multiplier means that you don't put hte AGP/PCI bus at a speed that it's not used to.
If your motherboard has AGp/pci locks, you don't have to worry about it. ;)

The multiplier only overclocks your CPU. Overclocking with the FSb can overclock other parts in your system(ram, pci, agp). The best way is to overclock with both the multiplier and FSB if your motherboard has agp/pci locks. That's one of the reasons why I love my Abit Nf7-s rev2.

For my cpu, I've actually lowered the Multiplier from it's default setting and overclocked my FSB more.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Usually how much can you overclock a stick of RAM (given the brands I have)? I might just stick with adjusting the multiplier lest the RAMs crap out on me.
The OC procedure I've gathered is, you push either the FSB or the multiplier to increase the clock cycle until you start to see BSOD. At that point either lower the value and start to Prime for 48 hours (?) to make sure machine is stable OR increase the voltage and repeat until...I dunno, until what? How safe is increasing the voltage?
Thanks

·
Premium Member
8,586 Posts
stilz said:
How safe is increasing the voltage?
Thanks
If you've got good cooling, it should be fairly safe. But don't over do it. The MAX voltage I've set my CPU to was 1.80vcc when I first started overclocking it. But now, since it's been overclocked so long that the overclock is burned in, I've set it to 1.725 and it seems to be fine. My motherboard also recognizes the CPU as an Athlon Xp 3200+ 400mhz FSB CPU now.

Your temperatures should be going up a long with your voltage increases, so keep a check on them and voltages being supplied to your other system components. You can also increase the voltages on your RAM to make them a little more stable if you overclock them too. One way to overclock ram is to also loosen the timings on them.

There are a lot of overclocking articles online at the various hardware sites. You should check them out.

·
Registered
7,330 Posts
Burning in silicon is a freakin pipe dream. It's not a bit true.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I guess my motherboard doesn't have the PCI/AGP lock since their speed changes when I adjust the FSB. The only thing I see is 'spread spectrum', what's that?
I thought my multiplier is unlocked since I can adjust the value freely in the BIOS, but the speed does not change even if the multiplier is modified; does that mean the multiplier is locked? I think my CPU is a Thoroughbred since it's got a green substrate instead of the red-brownish kind.
I tried adjusting the FSB to 144 with a resulting speed of ~1666mhz. The PC boots fine but gets stuck before starting Windows. Must the resulting OC speed be of certain value? Or is it because my PCI bus is also adjusted?
BTW, my PC now is 50-52'C idle with temp. read from die.

·
Registered
7,330 Posts
Spread spectrum reduces EMS emissions at the cost of some system stability. I always leave it off. Yes, if you can adjust the multiplier in bios but it doesn't actually changed, your multiplier is locked.

What core 1800+ do you have? If it's a Palomino, don't expect too much from it. Use CPU-Z and take a shot, post it here so we can tell.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I thought it's an Thoroughbred because it's green, nevermind. I had another 1800+ CPU that's reddish brown, what core does it have?
Anyhow, how much OC can I expect from this chip? Thanks.

·
Registered
7,330 Posts
Eek. Don't expect very much at all.. at best a few hundred MHz with some massive vcore increase.

Brown is for sure a Palomino.

·
Registered
6,964 Posts
I had a 1700+ Palomino for a little while. I was able to easily unlock the multiplier and overclock the hell out of it. Basically I changed it into a 2100+ running at 2Ghz. Was a nice chip, but it was just something I was playing around with. Had to give it back to a friend of mine.:)

·
Registered
7,330 Posts
Yeah, multiplier overclocking really is the way to go with the Palomino. :) If you feel like taking a risk, there's a guide over at Tom's Hardware along with a video. :)

·
Banned
9,111 Posts
Another way is to lower your multiplier to it's lowest setting and raise your FSB until it stops being stable and set it down by about 10MHz, after that slowly raise your Multiplier until it's unstable and turn it down a notch and check your final clockspeed to see if it's faster or slower than it originaly was if it's faster stick with it if it's slower don't set it back yet it still may perform slightly faster due to increased bandwith test it in benchmarks to find out if it's slower than change it back to stock, Remember keep your temps under 50C if possible

1 - 13 of 13 Posts