Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm asking this question for my older brother since both of us are stumped. In his BIOS he's set the CPU frequency to 3.08 GHz. He saves the settings, restarts the computer, opens up CPU-Z and CoreTemp and they both say that his processor's frequency is set to 2.2GHz. What's the problem here? Could we assume it's 3.08 and just listen to the BIOS?

·
Registered
5,977 Posts
Uhm.... could it be the underclocking processors do to cheap the CPU cooler (and keep the fans quieter)?

If possible in the BIOS, disable Cool 'n quiet or whatever Intel's version of that is.

What does my computer report the speed as?

·
The one and only
3,660 Posts
turn on winrar and extract something, or play a game, then check cpu-z

·
Heroes Might& Magic Champ
4,713 Posts
yeah you probably have speed step on. When your computer is idling with speedstep on it runs at a lower frequency to save on electric consumption. But when you are overlocking you wnat to disable it since it can cause instablility.

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Okay, I'm assuming that SpeedStep is disabled since it's 1:30 AM and I don't feel like asking. Plus the frequency doesn't change when running an intensive program such as a game so I doubt it's enabled anyway. What else could be the problem?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.