Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 20 of 118 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,072 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
It seems theres been a recent epidemic of swine flu in Mexico.

Outbreak of swine flu in Mexico kills at least twenty, infects 1,000 - Wikinews, the free news source

According to Mexican health officials, an epidemic of swine flu has killed at least 68 people and infected a further one thousand inside the country. Mexican health minister José Ángel Córdova said that the casualty rate appeared to be slowing down, and that there would be no plans to block off Mexican borders. “We’re dealing with a new flu virus that constitutes a respiratory epidemic that so far is controllable,” Córdova stated. He said that the disease had mutated from pigs and was transferred to humans at some point.
Museums and schools for seven million students near Mexico's capital were closed down in an effort to curb the epidemic, and the government has encouraged people with symptoms of the disease to take leave from work.
The outbreak has spread north to the United States, and US health authorities have reported that eight people were diagnosed with swine flu in Texas and California. However, these people have recovered.
“We are worried. We don’t know if this will lead to the next pandemic, but we will be monitoring it and taking it seriously,” said Dr. Richard Besser, the acting head of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). Dr. Besser suggested "containment is not very likely" in a telephone briefing on Friday.
Tests conducted by the World Health Organisation found that the virus from a dozen patients was genetically similar to a new outbreak of swine flu, designated as H1N1.
Related news coverage:
Mexico shuts schools due to flu
Swine flu outbreak declared 'public health emergency' - Los Angeles Times
Mexico Declares Emergency on Swine Flu as Death Toll Climbs - Bloomberg.com
CDC says too late to contain U.S. flu outbreak | Reuters

·
Tushy :3
5,162 Posts
I think it's really odd that the flu has only killed people between the ages of 20 and 40 in an article i read just barely ago off of Yahoo!. Someone made mention that children possibly have built a certain immunity towards it. I find that very strange. I wish I had heard about this earlier than today though. It's been going on for a good while.

·
Tushy :3
5,162 Posts
Yeah, nosound, so you're in the safe zone. I'm likely to die if I get it. :( *teases*

I've yet to find an article yet that says what the symptoms of this strange flu are...but I haven't looked thru all the articles Rikki posted yet.

·
Knowledge is the solution
7,168 Posts
According to my family back in Mexico as always the news make it a little more spectacular and exaggerated than it actually is. In any case, precautionary measures are being taken, so we are currently in a 'watch and see' stage.

·
TEKKEN LORD
1,287 Posts
I kinda have it up to the nose with these flu fuzz , every day another animal either have a deadly flew or just goes plain nuts ,cows , birds and now swines , I really hope there is some vegetable flu or else the vegies win :evil:

but really ,scientist need to work more on animal genetics . i miss the old days when animal diseases couldnt infect humans

·
Banned
2,817 Posts
Damn I saw that yesterday on the news. The epidemic control guys are really worried about this crap, in Mexico, school activities have been suspended to avoid an outbreak.. This is crazy. Now what ?? The swines are going to destroy the human race ??

·
7,168 Posts
but really ,scientist need to work more on animal genetics . i miss the old days when animal diseases couldnt infect humans
You know that the possibility of virus mutating from swine oor birds to human contageous diseases have always been there... right? And that some of the worst pandemics in the history of humanity are of those types.

Didn't the Mexican President cancel all major outdoor events because of this flu? I was reading in the paper today about this and it's quite surprising.
Yep. My sibblings also got their clases suspended till May the 5th or so. I just hope my thesis advisor back at Mexico doesn't disappear on me since he has to give me his final comments on my dissertation :heh:

The swines are going to destroy the human race ??
Let's not go the bad jokes path, that's what the bin is for after all. The ponit with swines is that they got a body anatomy surprisingly similar to that found in humans. That and swines are some of the animals that got the closest contact with humans. Combine these two, are the sorry sanitary conditions that many farms are in and you got a virus incubation factory in every farm in earth. No wonder there is a new swine or bird flu transforming into a potential pandemic every 10 years or so.

·
Registered
2,166 Posts
there's "supposedly" been cases 3 cases in Scotland of the virus now. I say supposedly because it was on the news.

·
Banned
23,263 Posts
You know that the possibility of virus mutating from swine oor birds to human contageous diseases have always been there... right? And that some of the worst pandemics in the history of humanity are of those types.

Yep. My sibblings also got their clases suspended till May the 5th or so. I just hope my thesis advisor back at Mexico doesn't disappear on me since he has to give me his final comments on my dissertation :heh:

Let's not go the bad jokes path, that's what the bin is for after all. The ponit with swines is that they got a body anatomy surprisingly similar to that found in humans. That and swines are some of the animals that got the closest contact with humans. Combine these two, are the sorry sanitary conditions that many farms are in and you got a virus incubation factory in every farm in earth. No wonder there is a new swine or bird flu transforming into a potential pandemic every 10 years or so.
frickin mexican farmers >.<

fricking american farmers >.<

Farm conditions are far cleaner here.

·
7,168 Posts
Unless your farmers go around handling pigs with radiation suits, I don't see how it is particularly related to the hygiene conditions over here being worse than A or B country's hygiene conditions.

·
Banned
23,263 Posts
There is a VAST difference between the way countries handle their livestock.

we have a group known as the RSPCA, whether those pigs are off to become bacon or not, the living conditions while they are alive must be kept to a standard. Its why we never have outbreaks of animal influenza occur from within the country. Every incident has seen it introduced from elsewhere. (Equine influenza to post as example)

·
Banned
23,263 Posts
indeed. it'll be forgotten in about 2 weeks.

1 - 20 of 118 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.