Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I got a new laptop and was setting up some ports for some games for it, when my DSL modem/router thing told me "NAPT table is full. An existing entry must be deleted before another entry can be added.". I assume that means it doesnt have any more room for port forwarding, so i was wondering what the proper way of handling this was. My current network setup is

dsl modem/router ----> NR-042 (uplinked) ----> 8 port hub (uplink
nr-042 ----> dlink DI-524 (wireless+wired, uplink)
nr-042 ----> 1 comp

With this setup, my dsl mode/router takes care of all port forwarding, dhcp etc. Its as if all my computers are directly connected to it. I thought about trying to change the router thats doing all of the forwarding etc, but that would cause 2... um lans... for lack of a better word. Im thinking that is probebly unavoidable. Supposedly its also possible to set my dsl modem into bridge mode, where it just acts like a modem, but i havent been successful.

Do you have any suggestions for this setup? Thanks.

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
can you specify a range of ports on your router, instead of just single ports? That could free up space. Or you could just open your router fully (I think it's called DMZ mode or something). In that case, you could use firewall software on your computer to take care of security.

·
Canadian Spaceman
8,906 Posts
Gotta open a range of ip addresses for the same ports. I know my dlink allows me to do it. Maybe try some wild cards such as 192.168.0.* etc.

·
War Games coder
1,927 Posts
Hmm... the screen you showed has nothing to do with port forwarding, but is a firewall accept / deny rule (an unusable one at that). Nobody's going to be sending data to you on a private IP address range (192.168.0.0/16). In fact, I see no forwarding options available in there.

Also, I'm having a little trouble making out what you're trying to describe as your network setup. What, exactly, is an "NR-042?"

As far as changing what's doing the routing, only your outer router (the one directly connected to the internet) can do any port forwarding. This does not have to be your modem (Mine isn't - I simply don't trust the cheap thing, it was only $100), but by default your modem acts as your router. You can either do bridge mode, or see if your modem has IP forwarding capabilities... if so, forward the IP to a router, and that effectively makes the router directly connected to the internet (and make sure your router is the only thing connected to the modem's network).

So you have an idea, here's my network:
Code:
DSL Modem
|
FreeBSD Router / Firewall / DHCP server------>VPN tunnel to about hundreds of other networks
|
4 port switch (uplink not used)
|		 |
|		 Desktop
Wireless router (uplink not used)
|	 |
|	 Desktop (same as wired - using both for testing)
|
Laptop
My modem is set to forward my internet IP to my FreeBSD server, which thinks it's directly connected to the internet. From there, the FreeBSD server provides the listed services to the rest of the network (and a bunch more, but I'm trying to keep it simple). In your case, your wireless router *might* be able to do a better job - it just has to think that it's directly connected to the internet.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
NR-042 is a router (network everywhere or something). The DSL modem has DMZ mode, so setting it up that way wouldnt be very hard. I may look into trying to get the router into a bridge mode and let my wireless router be the primary. The biggest problem with that is that i cant stand the firmware :).

P.S., im also in the process of configuring ports to be able to use ranges, but i was hoping for a more non change-application-settings approch.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.