Next Generation Emulation banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

· Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

· Ya'ver drink Brazilian bold from fkn dunkn donuts!
11,526 Posts
As with PS2 emulation it is very difficult to get it working well. It also comes down to individuals who are coding each of these projects, as there were many coders working of DS emulation and getting fantastic results, whereas with PSP there have mainly been solo projects that get to a certain point before having to slow down progress due to other factors in their life.

At the moment there is a team working on PSP emulation with JAVA and C++ and it is frequently worked on, but for what I recall the biggest issue with PSP emulation is that the difficulty to emulate the hardware is very difficult.

· Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Because the psp KIRK (Decryption Engine), which makes knowing some lowlevel stuff of the PSP painful, thus a firmware has to be HLEd, which is a difficult task.
I just don't get how people can emulate a touch screen, but can't emulate a simple portable. I mean heck most PSPs run custom made firmware... so how hard would it be to get a PC running that stuff?

It just seems odd to me.

Whens a rough estimate of when i will be able to play crisis core on my pc=0

11,526 Posts
I just don't get how people can emulate a touch screen, but can't emulate a simple portable. I mean heck most PSPs run custom made firmware... so how hard would it be to get a PC running that stuff?

It just seems odd to me.

Whens a rough estimate of when i will be able to play crisis core on my pc=0
The PSP is far from being a simple portable. Hardware aside just looking at the software side of the machine, as shashClp has already stated getting the environment suitable enough to run Crisis Core at an acceptable frame rate and without too many game breaking bugs would take an incredible amount of painstaking work to emulate the firmware at a high level, and at low level you can forget about it for the next decade.

As for a time frame, have a look at JPCSP and PCSP in the google code SVN changes and their forums and you will see development progress and any new changes in games. Some games are beginning to show some in game visuals, as garbles and simple as they may be the progress is solid. Based on what I have seen, I can only roughly estimate that it will be a couple of years before you see some serious games being emulated at a fully playable level. In the meanwhile it would be best to play Crisis Core on the real thing.

· Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I don't really understand emulation that well honestly.

But The gamecube/PS2/Xbox can all be emulated on PC.

The DS can be emulated on PC.

It is all just 1s and 0s. Is it just people are not really trying? I mean it just seems if you can emulate Gamecube/PS2/DS , a PSP would not be impossible.

And a decade? really? People were emulating N64 during its life cycle and PCs were nothing compared to what they are now.

11,526 Posts
A decade in great estimation of a low level emulator, the currently designed hle JPCSP is a very young project and is showing great early results. And it is not that the developers are not trying, they are doing their level best, but when these projects are done in spare time, then you cannot expect an emulator to be completed very quickly with high compatibility. \

Also keep in mind that the PS2/GC/Xbox emulators are still being worked on, some more so than others and they are far from being complete, and some of these projects are over half a decade old.

The older projects such as nes/snes/megadrive/n64 are all very complicated in their own rights, but the ps2 etc consoles are incredibly complex and those who take it upon themselves to write these 0 and 1's must take into account incomplete documentation of the system, unknown opcodes and other tidbits that all contribute to crashes, slow speed, incompatibility and other issues that are very common with emulation.

In the end a PSP emulator is very possible to write, but it will take a large amount of time and effort from some very talented and dedicated people to achieve what you desire from their hard work. So don't feel too dejected when these projects often take up half or even a decade to be completed at a level you are happy with.

· I m meow desu! ^_^
5,632 Posts
Because developer dont make hardware and psp isnt ds,psp is the portable version of the beast ps2 question answered learn to code to see how hard it is

· Banned
35,081 Posts
Because the psp KIRK (Decryption Engine), which makes knowing some lowlevel stuff of the PSP painful, thus a firmware has to be HLEd, which is a difficult task.

There is that... but also the PSP is something over 150mhz, while the DS's 2 cores are under 100.

· Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
What I am not understanding is why it is this complex or difficult?

I mean a console is just a simple computer missing a bunch of functionality.

I just don't see how making something that runs on a console run on a PC which is 10x more powerful is that hard =/

I remember people playing Zelda in high resolution on their computer at lan parties when we were still playing Goldeneye/Starcraft/Age of Empires... Heck BLEEM came out around the same time as PS1 and let you play PS1 games on your PC.

I just dont see a PSP being more complex then a home console.

I am not saying I could do it. I am not a programmer. Just find it funny their are emulators for everything except the PSP... whent he PSP is having its firmware flashed for custom firmware... I mean why cant a program be wrote to run that custom firmware on a PC and read ISOs

Quick question. What is the difference between hgih and low level emulation? what would Zsnes or Dolphin be considered?

· Registered
1,231 Posts
xythil: Learn a bit about computers and processors, and then come back. I can't explain what does emulating a console involves if you don't really understand the single bit about what work has to be done.

Seeing you don't have the slightest idea, just take the word from a coder (me) that has worked on several emulators (GameBoy, DS and PSP), and who says emulating a PSP is painful and hard.

By the way, that the PSP can run a Custom Firmware doesn't mean replicating one is easy, that's just a stupid assumption. As I already said, the KIRK is stopping people from knowing how the hardware works at low level, which makes writing a "normal" emulator really hard, thus we have to HLE the firmware, which is a titanic task (just check the BIOS replacement on the PCSX2 project, and how 'advanced' it is).

· Banned
35,081 Posts
I can explain it easily

PSP Game speaks French.
Computer only understands English.

The computer requires a translator(Emulator) to speak with the PSP Game, which has to not only convert the Language from one to the other, but also generate sounds, graphics, and controller information.

Within the PSP's french, are sayings or words which simply don't have a literal translation, and so the computer has to be made to understand them by prompts, cues or even visual aid. This is where the problems come from in most cases.

· Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
As to stay with the metaphor, the main problem with the PSP is that we don't even know the full language, neither can due to encryption :p
That is really interesting. Honestly I always thought the NES to the 360 were all just computers. I didn't figure emulation would be that difficult.

Can someone explain how BLEEM! and N64 Emus were out during those consoles lifespans? Were their "languages" just easier to decipher?

· Registered
1,627 Posts
bleem and n64 emus were out early because there were good developers and good info on the consoles hardware were available, to put it simple with psp there is encryption involved and it hasnt been entirely cracked yet, hence why psp 3000 has no custom firmware, please note that info on psp is very limited

also note that consoles use different technology/hardware compared to pcs, just emulating them and getting code to work fast is an epic task

· Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
bleem and n64 emus were out early because there were good developers and good info on the consoles hardware were available, to put it simple with psp there is encryption involved and it hasnt been entirely cracked yet, hence why psp 3000 has no custom firmware, please note that info on psp is very limited

also note that consoles use different technology/hardware compared to pcs, just emulating them and getting code to work fast is an epic task

That is interesting.

I thought the 3000 had been cracked though?

Is a PSP with CFW worth the investment?

Whats kept me from doing it is needing pro duo cards which are expensive and hard to tell what brands are wroth it. And then actually getting all the isos and stuff for each game. Seems like a lot of work.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.