Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
*NOTE: for those ahead in the game, please NO SPOILERS for newbies or those who are behind!
~
Hey so, I wanted to kind of gather most of the P4 players together to see what the 'absolute best' settings are for this game. Before when I played P3, apparently there were certain options or builds that boosted FPS quite a bit, and I wanted to get us all on the same track for this game as well.

This is ESPECIALLY cool, because now the Alternative Builds are supported! so I think we should do this asap.

This is MY optimum experience of the game; feel free to 'top mine' if you feel you have something that makes the game more enjoyable or boost FPS:
~

With cutscenes and dialogue I have constant 60fps. Fps will dip sharply, however, at certain bosses, notably at the beginning (like the 'flying bird' one).

The most pronounced (relatively unacceptable) slowdown I experience are:

#1. In the Shopping District of Town
#2. In random battles

And by random battles, I mean literally RANDOM battles. Some battles will work fine but others will lag un-bear-ably. I do a little 'ritual' everytime I play that seems to get rid of thise lag, but I think its mostly placebo-effect. I RESET (redo) my speed hacks and cpu settings to limit, before entering the game, everytime. I don't have any real evidence of this 'doing anything' really.

Settings: Pcsx2 Build 389 with Speeds hacks #1, 2, and 4 enabled (4 being DAZ-denormal are zero). I also check the last hack (for Persona, or so it says)

CPU-dualcore options all checked, and set to 'limit'

I didn't have to do anything for 'hanging'; maybe my emulator version already fixed that prior.

Alrite guys, lets see if anyone can minimize those slowdowns!

·
The Pest
1,820 Posts
Beta and PP are not supported here still, only on the official PCSX2 forums.

·
Registered
99 Posts
AMD X2 64 user's I had read along time ago if you download AMD optimizer you will gain fps. So try it out and see the difference.

·
Registered
7 Posts
i play the playground build with an earlier version of gsdx (0.1.10) set to directx10 hardware mode and other than the shopping district and the few fights here and there it runs quite well.

I have a question, though, that relates to a bug i've just recently encountered: I'm at around march in the game and when i get to the overworld screen, I can't select any of the other areas on the map. The game runs fine, 60 fps with the music still playing, and I can return to the area i came from, but i simply cannot go up or down on the menu to select other areas. Any ideas?

·
Registered
228 Posts
heres my settings , the game run excellent for me as well , i beat the first boss very easily with no slowdowns a clean 60-66 fps. i use PCSX2 Playground 1.0.0395 -VM...Also the videos play smooth too. There will be minor hangs in the game but be patient i like to think its just loading longer ^_-..my fps never hit below 50 though

heres my configuration, click on the attachment;)

·
Registered
106 Posts
My settings are almost identical to the above except I'm running Dx10 in 16:9, 1440x900 res, and my cpu is set to limit opposed to VU skip.. Limit set at 61 fps... I rarely drop below 50 unless it's a fight with 3+ of the "slow" enemies.. by "slow" i mean ones that cause slowdown, like the birds holding lamps for example.
The only boss fight with any slowdown was yuki's shadow...

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I found out why the above settings are improving the fps. It's essentially a sacrifice of quality for quantity. The 'check native resolution' button on the GSdx plugin makes the game look fuzzier, but you get an fps boost as a result.

I guess the FPS is the more logical choice, but I still leave that unchecked =P

·
Registered
7 Posts
So then, how much fps do you get in say, yukiko's castle random battles? mine averages at 40, and i can't seem to be able to up them no matter how, any of you guys have gotten past 40? what setting did you use? and most importantly, are there any suggested plugins to be used with this game?, thanks a lot for answering these questions :)

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
all the questions are more or less answered in this thread already. =P

I say, you can't really tell what your stable fps is until you beat the first dungeon, b/c slowdown in that dungeon is definetely the WORST

·
Banned
2,817 Posts
And by random battles, I mean literally RANDOM battles. Some battles will work fine but others will lag un-bear-ably. I do a little 'ritual' everytime I play that seems to get rid of thise lag, but I think its mostly placebo-effect. I RESET (redo) my speed hacks and cpu settings to limit, before entering the game, everytime. I don't have any real evidence of this 'doing anything' really.
Have you tried overclocking your CPU ?

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
b/c of a lack of expertise (and cooling system? I dunno), I don't overclock my E8400..
...yes... I know its a horrible HORRIBLE waste. But I'm really too noob, and I fear burning my pc to ashes or something

1 - 20 of 31 Posts