Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

Long story short, what have people found to be the best Xebra settings?

Long story long (or whatever), I've played the American BoF3 7ish times and wanted to try the Japanese one. I got Xebra working but I can't get the settings quite right. I saw someone say to set all the video settings to 0 but I found that using the second run option then having the first video setting be 5000, the second 100 and the other two 0 is a bit better.

Thanks.

·
Fluffy Animal Admirer
3,398 Posts
I always found ePSXe to be better in terms of user friendliness and overall emulation, but whatever.... ????

·
Registered
359 Posts
You don't need a Japanese emulator to play Japanese games; current emulators should work just fine. Btw, have you ever wondered why there isn't a Xebra forum in here?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
@the_randomizer: Thanks, good to know.

@JohnJack: Man I wish I would've known that sooner. I'm totally getting ePSXe or something. Thanks a lot. And... I kind of did wonder. Is it because Xebra's inferior to others?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Oh. Yeah but you don't need to know Japanese to run it. In the settings there isn't any Japanese. I got it because I had no idea other emulators can run Japanese games. As it is I'm only in my 5th semester so there's no way I could read the instructions.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ah-ha, I solved it. One of the GPU things wasn't working, but when I loaded up another it was fine. Moreover, it plays perfectly! Thanks.

·
Registered
414 Posts
It sucks Xebra doesn't have its own forum. It sucks even more when people regard this emulator as inferior or even disregard it completely. Truth is, it's the most accurate and compatible PSX emulator out there. It's the bsnes of psx emu's. Sure, epsxe may be more "user friendly" but better emulation? Not by a long shot. Please don't post ignorant replies like it's true when it's your opinion that you like epsxe better.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yeah... if you read my above post you'll find I tried that and it did not run as smoothly as other settings. Perhaps there's something wrong with my computer, but ePSXe runs perfectly on the default settings and no matter what I try (which may not be true. Maybe I just haven't found the perfect settings) Xebra is either a little jumpy with the sound or too slow or too fast.

In any case, I appreciate your response, though I'll likely stay with ePSXe for the time being.

·
Registered
359 Posts
@drhycodan: now you see why ePSXe has such a following. If you can't configure the 'most accurate' emulator to work with your game, it is no better than the emulator with the most glitches.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Well your computer is probably too slow to begin with if setting everything to 0, which disables any type of frameskipping, is too slow for you. As with all accuracy based emulators, more cpu power is required to emulate something more accurately with more precise timing and not based on hacks.

Remember, ePSXe is based on code that dates back to almost a decade ago, hence more friendly towards older and slower computers (and more methods based on hacks to get a number of games working).

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Huh. I'd hope a 1.6 GHz processor and 1 gig of ram would be enough, but if that's why my little laptop won't run Xebra then that is a satisfactory answer. It's good to know that it's not the settings that are simply wrong but my machine. At least other emulators run smoothly. Thanks again.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Ok with Epsxe you have to change your bios to play your pal and i believe jap too.
but i don't have this problem with Xebra i just play it.Pal,jap,eur awsome!! (^_^)v

·
Fluffy Animal Admirer
3,398 Posts
How is the sound emulation in Xebra? Does it have synced sound?

Edit :There's no sound interpolation, sorry but I can't stand raspy audio.

·
Registered
414 Posts
The raspy audio isn't due to lack of sound interpolation, but because you haven't set the sound buffering properly. Don't blame the emulator for your lack of knowledge.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts