Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Pink Poney
727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I overclock my cpu, but oc'ing my video has never seemed to have gotten me the kind of gains I have received from an oc'd cpu. Also, I understand the motive behind overclocking could also be to buy something cheaper, and oc it to make it faster, thus saving money on the more powerful hardware you didn't have to buy. I thinks it's funny though how expensive video cards tend to oc very poorly compared to cheap video cards, where ALL cpus tend to have good/great oc potential.

My 8800GTX oc'd like crap from what I remember, and so did my 7800GT before that. The fps gain from meager video card overclocks never seemed to justify the increased heat for me >.>

I know how much the emuforums users love to oc their cpus...how about your video cards?

·
Curiously Cheddar
2,077 Posts
I overclock my video card when using stressful games (ex. Crysis, Far Cry 2, GTA IV, etc...). The performance gains are simply a few fps, but those few fps make all the difference between stutter and smooth. In said games, I get around 23-27fps with the settings I use. When overclocked, they rarely dip down under 29. It makes all the difference.

·
From Love and Limerence
6,574 Posts
I overclocked my old GeForce 4 Ti4200 from 250MHz core to ~325MHz core and from 256MHz (512MHz DDR) memory to ~300MHz (600MHz DDR) memory. I also overclocked my GeForce MX440 from 275MHz core to ~325MHz core, and the memory was actually underspecification of the minimum the card was allowed set to have (that's apparently what PNY did to their low profile passively cooled version of that card), so it actually defaulted to 150MHz (300MHz DDR), and I think ~180MHz (360MHz DDR) was all I was able to get from it, which itself doesn't even match the default of 400MHz the card is supposed to have.

I also overclocked my GeForce 6800GS AGP (also unlocked the extra vertex and pixel shaders to equate it to a GeForce 6800 Ultra, so the clockspeeds and memory speeds where whatever it was for that card).

Once I got my GeForce 8600GTS and current GeForce 8800GT, for some reason I never overclocked them (though they both came pre-overclocked anyway).

The video card is actually the part that tends to give bigger boosts in games.

·
Pink Poney
727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah I know that, generally, buying a new video card is the way to get more fps in games, as opposed to buying/oc'ing a cpu. Still, even though video card venders sell pre-overclocked products, I wonder when they will do what intel and amd have done with certain cpus; advertising them as though they are meant to be overclocked, with AMD's 'black edition' and intels QX cpus.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.