Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
playing FGO
10,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Should I have gotten a Duron, but getting 256 DDR RAM in return, or did I do the right thing and got the Athlon 1 Ghz, but left me with no other choice but SDRAM? I'm going to use the computer primarily for PC gaming and ePSXe, as well as VB/C++ and the occasional movie.

·
Key To The Universe
2,712 Posts
Hard choice... does your mobo support DDR and you're using SDR or it only support SDR? If both are supported, you did the right thing cuz later you can buy DDR. If not... I don't know, I think I would have chosen the Duron.

·
playing FGO
10,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yeah my mobo supports both sdram and ddr ram (two slots each), and RAM is pretty cheap and plentiful over here (256 DDR costs just $40). I was just wondering if a $20 dollar premium on an Athlon 1.1 was worth paying for a 200Mhz advantage when I can get a 900Mhz Duron and OC it to a gigahertz, then spend what I've saved towards acquiring RAM.

....but i heard Durons are tuff to OC nowadays....

·
CoLD InSiDE
2,615 Posts
Well dear! the DDR ram will be of no much use if there is not a good processor to back it.......Athlons ARE faster then Durons..........I guess U know that very well........!......the toughness of Durons is not as much as compared to Athlon.....!

Ali

·
playing FGO
10,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Oh well, since I already got this 1.1 Ghz cpu, i'd best stick with it. no use worrying about what-might-have-beens. :)

and yes, Samor, i can run ePSXe okay now. :) Though I'm still trying to get the hang of it..... the new speed is overwhelming me! :D

·
Registered
11,307 Posts
Originally posted by Xeven
yeah, and when you get used to it.. everything just seems too sloww.. again.. nyahaha! :D
It's a vicious cycle, but I have to agree that the Athlon processor was the better choice. Besides, with memory prices continuing to get less and less, you probably won't have all that long of a wait to get DDR RAM.

·
Registered
69 Posts
An Athlon ... i got a 1.2 Gb by here and i think this thing heats too much, the cooler is huge but what to do , nothing is perfect.
Yeah DDR is great and the prices are faling here im my country too. Go on Shiori and stick a couple of 512Mb modules in your mobo.:)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts