Next Generation Emulation banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
wth? dude i just want to play the game that took me 3 days to download 8 different file .rar parts. i read one post and it says something about alchohol120% does that program convert mdf and mds to .bin? and go buy the game? seriously man im already in enough money trouble being that im POOR, and the only thing i have is games on my computer and games like halo 2 and Xbox live... i cant afford anything else.

·
Registered
654 Posts
Sucks to be you.

From the rules:

NGEmu takes a [highlight]"no tolerance"[/highlight] stance against the trading/sharing/[highlight]discussion[/highlight] of illegal software
and

If you post in a forum for support [highlight]and you are found to be in possession of illegal content[/highlight], your thread will be immediately closed.

Dan

P.S. I got Tomb Raider used at an EBGames for like $3 USD.

·
Registered
654 Posts
Nope, it's legal. Bleem! in particular won every lawsuit Sony threw at 'em. It was court costs (unsustainable overhead) and the PS/2 (shrinking PS/1 market) that killed it.

As long as you first purchase a copyrighted work, making a backup and running from it falls under the legal concept of "fair use". Emulators in particular are covered (in the US) under the interoperability clauses of the DMCA. I'm not sure which Berne Convention clauses they're covered under, but I'm pretty sure they're covered there too.

So: To be legal you have to have first legitimately purchased a Playstation BIOS program (included as firmware in PS1s and PS2s) and legitimately purchased (or borrowed and have in your possession) each game you're playing a backup of.

Playing an ISO of a game you own on an emulator is legally equivalent to playing an MP3 you ripped from a CD you own on your iPod. Which is to say, entirely lawful.

Now this next part requires me to guess at the site owners' motives: "Facilitating" copyright infringement is not just a civil but a federal criminal offense under the DMCA. It's a felony. Were I the site admins, I'd be worried that a skillful prosecutor could get me a lengthy prison sentence if I allowed people to discuss infringement and how to solve the problems they encounter doing it.

So I think that the reason for this policy is not that the owners are prudes and want to spoil your fun; rather, I think it's because they don't want to go to prison.

Dan

·
Registered
2,794 Posts
ssnake42069 said:
wth? dude i just want to play the game that took me 3 days to download 8 different file .rar parts. i read one post and it says something about alchohol120% does that program convert mdf and mds to .bin? and go buy the game? seriously man im already in enough money trouble being that im POOR, and the only thing i have is games on my computer and games like halo 2 and Xbox live... i cant afford anything else.
Get a job instead of spending your time playing games, bum.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
also there was another court thing of Sony vs Connectix but i didnt entirely understand the document. I still dont full understand, i have Tomb raider on disc but its so scratched (being like 5 years old) that i cant even rip the data off it anymore. that is why i downloaded a supposed iso of it cuz i love the tomb raider series. i just wanted to play meh game again...Until you said if i already have a copy of the game it would be legal i do, its just so bummed out that i cant use anymore. i got ff7 and 8 too but i got 8 on the computer (computer version, no ePSXe involved) the ff7 still works but i cant get it to work on the emu. still confusing. is their anything u guys can help me with?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I consulted another source about how to do it...They said to download alcohol120 or daemon tools, and put the mdf on a virtual drive, and click run cdrom. its working now, and they should have been the first people i talked to in the first place. you know you guys shouldnt be uptight. besides you guys CANNOT be held responsible for what people talk about on the forums, and idiot with a lawyer can tell you that.

·
Premium Member
bsnes, ePSXe
23,380 Posts
ssnake42069 said:
also there was another court thing of Sony vs Connectix but i didnt entirely understand the document.
yes, like many other things. just for clarification, sony LOST most (if not all...) of the court cases vs connectix and Bleem. in the end, they basically sued both those companies out of money, then bought them and halted production.

if you're so into researching crap, go read the DMCA (digital millenium copyright act) once, then read it outloud so you'll have audible proof that you're wrong (because neither kyle nor myself are gonna call you telling you that).

speaking of which, im tired of you being a 'mo, and me and flare makign fun of you, so thread closed

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.