Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Emulator user since 2006
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
DX with OpenCl doesn't work for me, when the game launches I'm getting a bunch of errors :
"Failed to Create Device Group", "Error queueing kernel".
The game that I am trying to play is Naruto Gekitou Ninja taisen 4.
Same errors messages appears with OpenGL.
Using SVN4428, driver version - 190.89.
Does OpenCL only works with newer video cards ?

·
The one and only
3,660 Posts
Geforce 6200 128 MB
Thats why it doesnt work. need an 8 series at t he lease

·
Stupid Newbie
22 Posts
I visit this forum every now and then to check up on this project. I haven't been here in a few weeks, what is this OpenCL stuff, anyhow? From what I gather it works similarly to CUDA, but what does this mean for dolphin?

·
Registered
94 Posts
It's like CUDA, but it's open-source for anyone to use, i think...

basically, it makes the GPU take some of the work off the CPU itself, which really helps when it comes to cpu-intensive stuff like video-editing... as for dolphin, if there's a way to implement some sort of openCL, our CPUs wouldn't be at 100% workload the whole time, or something like that...

·
Banned
76 Posts
I tryed the OpenCL plugins last night on my Pc (3800x2-GTS250) REzero is still slow as hell cant even run the title menu at 100%...

Zelda TP seems about the same ,very slow in big village

But This is def a good step forward :thumb:,if my gfx card can help more with dolphin cause my cpu just cant do it

·
Stupid Newbie
22 Posts
It's like CUDA, but it's open-source for anyone to use, i think...

basically, it makes the GPU take some of the work off the CPU itself, which really helps when it comes to cpu-intensive stuff like video-editing... as for dolphin, if there's a way to implement some sort of openCL, our CPUs wouldn't be at 100% workload the whole time, or something like that...
So, in effect it's an ad-hoc form of GPU acceleration.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Whoa wait, since when does Dolphin support OpenCL?! Dang, you realize this is one of if not THE first public non-Mac app that uses it?

·
Banned
23,263 Posts
CUDA < is an open standard, anybody can addend to it, and anyone can use it, as long as they pay nvidia a small licensing fee.

That ATI couldn't cough up the fee and support it on ATI, was a poor move, especially since CUDA development will always move faster then OpenCL.

OpenCL and CUDA will never be efficient on Geforce 280 and lower chips as the task switcher is not designed to allow for fast switching between gfx and cuda functions.

Nvidia Fermi might provide more of an improvement.

·
Time Lord
1,989 Posts
OpenCL and CUDA will never be efficient on Geforce 280 and lower chips as the task switcher is not designed to allow for fast switching between gfx and cuda functions.
Yeah i would agree with that, OpenCL actually seems to make Dolphin performance worse, at least in my case. And thats with a GF 260

·
Registered
376 Posts
CUDA support is stupid for the long run, both intel and ATI do not support it. Contrary to what Squall-Leonhart says, CUDA is NOT an open-standard. It may be freeware, but it is definitely proprietary Nvidia technology. Because of that, it would also make little business sense for both ATI and Intel to support it, which would essentially be giving control to Nvidia.

Also, unlike CUDA, one of the many benefits of OpenCL is that it can be run on multi-core CPUs instead of a GPU. So if you've got one of those 8-thread Intel i7 CPUs, you would be able to offload the OpenCL code to the rest of your idleing cores and threads if maybe your GPU isn't up to snuff or it's too old to run OpenCL code. (though I'm pretty sure dolphin doesn't support CPU OpenCL currently)

·
Banned
23,263 Posts
CUDA support is stupid for the long run, both intel and ATI do not support it. Contrary to what Squall-Leonhart says, CUDA is NOT an open-standard. It may be freeware, but it is definitely proprietary Nvidia technology. Because of that, it would also make little business sense for both ATI and Intel to support it, which would essentially be giving control to Nvidia.

Also, unlike CUDA, one of the many benefits of OpenCL is that it can be run on multi-core CPUs instead of a GPU. So if you've got one of those 8-thread Intel i7 CPUs, you would be able to offload the OpenCL code to the rest of your idleing cores and threads if maybe your GPU isn't up to snuff or it's too old to run OpenCL code. (though I'm pretty sure dolphin doesn't support CPU OpenCL currently)
But then theres no point at all, a cpu already does C, so what point is there of using openCL.

·
Registered
376 Posts
You missed the part about using idling threads - Dolphin currently only uses 2. Instead of putting some of that load on the GPU, you could instead put it onto your other idling CPU threads. Obviously it'd be better to use the GPU, but not everyone has an OpenCL-supporting GPU, so this would work as a "Plan B".

·
Banned
23,263 Posts
You missed the point.

if the cpu is already capable of C, why bother running openCL in software form on a cpu.

·
Registered
376 Posts
You missed the point again.

Dolphin with plain C is coded to use only 2 threads, plain and simple. OpenCL however can take advantage of as many threads as available. Therefore, if you have a CPU with more than 2 cores, the OpenCL portion could be offloaded to the rest of your CPU.

·
Banned
23,263 Posts
There is only so many threads you can use before you run into costly synchronisation faults.

·
Registered
376 Posts

·
Banned
23,263 Posts
Those applications don't require intricate thread synching to maintain proper low level timings.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.