Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· The Hunter
17,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here are some things that happened in the Netherlands last week, and my view on it.
Sparrow shot for downing domino record bid

AMSTERDAM, Netherlands (AP) -- The Dutch animal protection agency said Tuesday it is investigating the shooting death of a sparrow that knocked over 23,000 dominoes during an attempt to set a world record.

The ill-fated bird flew into an exposition center, threatening to derail a world record Monday, before it was chased into a corner and shot by an exterminator with an air rifle.

The bird was a common house sparrow -- a species placed on the national endangered list last year.

"Under Dutch law, you need a permit to kill this kind of bird, and a permit can only be granted when there's a danger to public health or a crop," agency spokesman Niels Dorland said.

"That was not the case. I might add, is it really necessary to kill a bird that knocked over a few dominoes for a game?"

Dorland said the agency plans to submit the case to national prosecutors. The incident came as the national birdwatchers association was preparing a campaign to draw attention to the rapidly declining number of sparrows in the country.

The Endemol production company, which organized the Domino Day event, defended the killing. The organizers wanted to break their own Guinness World Record of 3,992,397 dominoes set last year by toppling a chain of 4,321,000 blocks.

Around 200,000 dominoes were left to go, and the bird knocked down 23,000 of them.

Endemol spokesman Jeroen van Waardenberg said organizers made a "split-second" decision to shoot down the bird.

"That bird was flying around and knocking over a lot of dominoes. More than 100 people from 12 countries had worked for more than a month setting them up," he said.

He said organizers had believed the building was fully sealed against birds and mice. The company is considering some kind of memorial or mention for the dead bird during the television broadcast Friday, he added.

But Dorland said shooting the sparrow to ensure the success of the program was an overreaction.

"I think they were awfully fast to pull out a rifle," he said. "If a person started knocking over a few dominoes they wouldn't shoot him would they?"

A Dutch website called Geenstijl offered a $1,200 reward for anybody who knocks over the dominoes ahead of time to avenge the bird.

Hans Peeters, director of the Netherlands Bird Protection agency, called the killing "ridiculous."

He said rapid urbanization in the Netherlands was threatening the species.

"There were more than 2 million breeding pairs in the Netherlands 20 years ago," he said. "Now there's a half a million to a million at most. We hope this can be a call to action."
The last week this has been the major news event in the Netherlands. At first I heard a guy shot a sparrow in order to prevent it from knocking over any more dominoes. On tuesday I heard 7, yes SEVEN organisations are trying to sue him and taking legal action!! oO The exterminator even recieved death threats in a way of recieving a letter with a bullet. What's to become of this country. Holland used to be the country where everything was allowed, at least in the eyes of other countries. But it won't be for long or you'll have to ask for a permit to swat a fly :???:

Tonight the big event will happen, but before they will start, the organisation of the event will have a minute of silence for the fallen bird. I even read a letter in a newspaper in which the author suggested we should be thinking about the family of the sparrow. Meanwhile last week 4 criminals got shot as well, and everyone is celebrating some hirelings get the job done while police don't do a thing :p But you don't hear people complaining about their family. Even though they were criminals, they have family as well.

Seriously, it's things like this that make me feel ashamed to be Dutch. I wonder what will happen to cat owners whose cat still goes out to hunt at night :rolleyes:

Another thing that shook up the country was when two teenagers mugged an old lady in an electric wheelchair. She didn't have any money on her so they decided to grab her dog and tie it up. The lady tried to get up but fell, and her wheelchair fell on top of her, after that she got kicked and she ended up with bruises and everything. At the same time she had to watch her dog die because it got hung. Of course the kids got away.

Where do you get these kind of ideas, what happened to respect? How low could you get? :hdbash:

Please tell me what you ppl think about stuff like this. Don't hold back, I know there's too many lunatics running around here anyway :p The news this week really got me angry. I hate this freaked society. A couple of years ago we were pointing at America, laughing our butts off, now I get the feeling it's getting even worse in this country, where you can get in jail if you punch a burglar :hdbash:

· Foundry/Foundation
11,824 Posts
the Netherlands has always been just as bad; people are just laughing because the culture is different....

Poor bird ;) ...but the thing's taken out of perspective. A minute of silence for the bird? =P

Another thing that shook up the country was when two teenagers mugged an old lady in an electric wheelchair. She didn't have any money on her so they decided to grab her dog and tie it up. The lady tried to get up but fell, and her wheelchair fell on top of her, after that she got kicked and she ended up with bruises and everything. At the same time she had to watch her dog die because it got hung. Of course the kids got away.

Where do you get these kind of ideas, what happened to respect? How low could you get? :hdbash:
Yeah, I thought that was all a lot worse than the bird thing. I really wonder what the people who did that were thinking.

Please tell me what you ppl think about stuff like this. Don't hold back, I know there's too many lunatics running around here anyway :p The news this week really got me angry. I hate this freaked society. A couple of years ago we were pointing at America, laughing our butts off, now I get the feeling it's getting even worse in this country, where you can get in jail if you punch a burglar :hdbash:
yeah, and LMAO at the military, they're only sent to safe places =P
...wtf is up with that; it's the MILITARY! I mean, not that I want them to be in heavy battles perse, but uh...I just thought...the military was to restore order, not to go to places where there's nothing to do or something.

· The Hunter
17,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Talking about our military, I still need to take a look at that story about those Tomahawks the government is going to buy. It's not like they've got a lot of money to spend these days :rolleyes:

· The ChinaDude!!!
4,171 Posts
I wonder why buy weapons at all... the US probably has more soldiers than we got inhabitants :evil: and if the US doesn't, china does.

I wonder in case of accute war, would the chinese also include an obscure zergling/china rush variation tactic? :evil:

· Knowledge is the solution
7,484 Posts
Then again one could say that Netherlands is becoming a surrealist country. Then you could declare it as a humanity treasure and ask for an entrance tree once you enter the circu... country :p

Now seriously speaking, while it is natural to understand that human passions can exacerbate when one is too engaged with something and a disturbance come (Specially when said disturbances flies and screeches around), and while it is only natural to reprimend those who can't manage to control said passions, it is also ridiculous the extension of the atonment that is being asked to those people, as many people have said (then again you could excuse it saying that it is all a plan for a country wide scale comedy movie.)

As for the case with the old woman, I can only say that this is a typical example of morality revolution going wrong. True, many of the old school values don't hold water anymore, and as such they sohlud be changed for others that are more current. False, this does not implie that you can go around squeezing and whooping everyone that dares to cross your way.

In general, while it is nice at all to complain about how ****ed up things are, merely doing so will solve nothing. What you have to do is to actually forming a group that will slowly but surely make other people understand what is happening around them. The main cause of these kind of problems is self induced ignorance, so trying to erradicate that voluntary lack of concience of what is happening around you is crucial to actually make things change for the better

... either that or asking for the implantation of the entrance fee system ni the next parlamentery reunion.

· Foundry/Foundation
11,824 Posts
I think the American guy wasn't all that wrong last year when he said that the Netherworld...err lands was losing it; Ok, he wasn't right on the specific facts, but the general idea was quite right. Of course, over here we didn't want to hear that (and look what's happening).

· Registered
1,585 Posts
Cid Highwind said:

It turns out the old "lady" made the story up and hung the dog up herself. Sick.

· Transcended
1,421 Posts
Gaurav said:
It turns out the old "lady" made the story up and hung the dog up herself. Sick.
Eh? oO

I think the reaction of the event organizers is but a response to the reaction of the people outside of the event. If the furor wasn't that bad, I don't think there'd seriously have been a moment of silence for the bird.

Would letting the bird go around wasting all that work have been a better alternative?

It's easy to gripe and point fingers, but did they stop and say... "Ok, here's a BETTER solution."? No. Move on guys... but next time, draft a protocol to use should it happen again. Tsk.

· The Hunter
17,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Gaurav said:
Yeah I heard the same thing, this falls into the same category as all of those girls that claimed to have been raped while nothing ever happened. What to do with mentally disturbed people such as these ones? :???:

· Registered
1,585 Posts
Remove them from a society that requires mentally sane people to work? :p I don't know. It's a delicate matter that requires much thought, and I drank a little too much so it's currently a no go for me. :p

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.