Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi. I need to make emulation more smooth. Fraps shows only 25 fps. This makes my head ache after a short time. Is there any way to get more fps (60 for example) while not speeding up the game?
I run it on I7 920, GTX285 and epsxe 1.7.0.

·
Banned
23,263 Posts
Most PSX games ARE only 25 or 30 fps, depending on whats shown.

For example, in FF8, the main display/map is drawn in those 25/30 frames, while when you enter battle, the menu and battle overlay is drawn in another 25/30 fps making it 50 or 60 fps.

·
No sir, I don't like it.
5,571 Posts
Just listen to Squall. There is no proper way around your issue.

PS1 games use frame-based timing. This means that menus in a game like FF8 must run at 25fps(PAL)/30fps(NTSC) or else the cursor will be moving around at ridiculously fast speeds making menu control near impossible. Meanwhile, on the map it'll jump to 50fps/60fps to make the game and controls "smoother".

The difference between PS1 games and (most) PC games lies within how they are both rendered. PC games usually use timer-based rendering. This means that if a game runs faster than 60fps, it'll interpolate the extra frames making the game feel "smoother". If the game runs below 60fps, it can still be playable without problems like sound desynchronization, at least to point. (I personally don't consider speeds below 30fps to be "playable" for instance.)

Doom, for instance, has frame-based timing. It maxes out at 35fps and won't allow you to run it beyond that speed unless you use a certain set of commandline switches. Considering the age of game, 1000+fps is not impossible on a modern system, but instead of smoothing out the game, it'll be running at super speed. Just clicking the mouse once will cause you to fire off a dozen rounds from the pistol. This is the same thing that happens in most PS1 games. Just try it out by turning off the frame limiter and force vsync off (or create an epsxe.exe game profile) in your video card's control panel.

·
Banned
23,263 Posts
Just listen to Squall. There is no proper way around your issue.

PS1 games use frame-based timing. This means that menus in a game like FF8 must run at 25fps(PAL)/30fps(NTSC) or else the cursor will be moving around at ridiculously fast speeds making menu control near impossible. Meanwhile, on the map it'll jump to 50fps/60fps to make the game and controls "smoother".

The difference between PS1 games and (most) PC games lies within how they are both rendered. PC games usually use timer-based rendering. This means that if a game runs faster than 60fps, it'll interpolate the extra frames making the game feel "smoother". If the game runs below 60fps, it can still be playable without problems like sound desynchronization, at least to point. (I personally don't consider speeds below 30fps to be "playable" for instance.)

Doom, for instance, has frame-based timing. It maxes out at 35fps and won't allow you to run it beyond that speed unless you use a certain set of commandline switches. Considering the age of game, 1000+fps is not impossible on a modern system, but instead of smoothing out the game, it'll be running at super speed. Just clicking the mouse once will cause you to fire off a dozen rounds from the pistol. This is the same thing that happens in most PS1 games. Just try it out by turning off the frame limiter and force vsync off (or create an epsxe.exe game profile) in your video card's control panel.
;) confused there masta.g
the real fps of the FF8 world map is 25/30 fps, the real fps of battle when the hud is added is 50/60 fps

as far as i know the menu works the same way

the lag is influenced by forcing vsync at 50/25 fps, it'll be less noticed at 60/30 fps, though triplebuffering and decreasing the framequeue/prerender setting should smooth it out further.

·
No sir, I don't like it.
5,571 Posts
Meh. Something like that. :p

I can't remember where the the game uses 25/30 and 50/60. The last time I played it was... years ago. There was a thread about a couple months ago where the OP was turning off the internal frame limiter, but battles still locked at 60fps (or was it 30?). The game was FF9 and I checked it out and suggested creating an nVidia game profile for the ePSXe executable so the battles will also run at max speed.

EDIT: Ah, here it is.

·
Banned
23,263 Posts
yeah, its because the game starts rendering FBE's every second frame, which doubles the internal framerate.

·
Banned
23,263 Posts
It does that since it is faster then doing the FBE every single frame D:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I download the version for USA region (30fps, ntsc). Feels slightly better and looks playable. Though often fps drops down to 22. And CPU load is 5-10%. Tried p.e.o.p.s. software driver, but it shows low resolution in windowed and fullscreen mode, and i was unable to change it.
Any ideas how to put load from GPU to CPU?

·
Registered
186 Posts
Maybe you can try getting a 100Hz or 200Hz TV/LCD monitor, that could 'up' the frame rate i think.

I have seen certain TVs that has this 'feature' that makes picture quality silky smooth compared to normal TVs.

·
From Love and Limerence
6,574 Posts
Maybe you can try getting a 100Hz or 200Hz TV/LCD monitor, that could 'up' the frame rate i think.

I have seen certain TVs that has this 'feature' that makes picture quality silky smooth compared to normal TVs.
Ungh, what? A higher refresh frequency television will not do a thing for this. Frame rate is tied to the refresh rate the game was made for, not the refresh rate of the display.

Squall-Leonhard already explained how it works. Console games use timing that is dependent of the frame-rate and vice versa, so they may run at 60FPS (or 50 for PAL) only because they display on 60Hz displays (50hz for PAL) and have a frame for each refresh of the display. That's where the 60/50 come from, but the frame rate as we know it is much, much lower. This is why anyone who's used to high frame rates of PC games and then plays a Playstation game may notice the 60FPS in emulation is alot slower than 60FPS in a PC game. It's because it's not really 60FPS.

There's no way to fix this. To make it smoother, you have to introduce more frames. If you do that, game speed goes up. Game speed and frame rate are tied.

·
Banned
23,263 Posts
Its a variable FPS, which usually works pretty well, as i said, normally the psx games only need to render 25 or 30 frames every second, this allows for graphic intensive tasks like frame buffer effects to be placed every second frame, thus doubling the frame rate. This is why things can go missing, like the hud and cursor when frame skipping is used.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Ungh, what? A higher refresh frequency television will not do a thing for this. Frame rate is tied to the refresh rate the game was made for, not the refresh rate of the display.

Squall-Leonhard already explained how it works. Console games use timing that is dependent of the frame-rate and vice versa, so they may run at 60FPS (or 50 for PAL) only because they display on 60Hz displays (50hz for PAL) and have a frame for each refresh of the display. That's where the 60/50 come from, but the frame rate as we know it is much, much lower. This is why anyone who's used to high frame rates of PC games and then plays a Playstation game may notice the 60FPS in emulation is alot slower than 60FPS in a PC game. It's because it's not really 60FPS.

There's no way to fix this. To make it smoother, you have to introduce more frames. If you do that, game speed goes up. Game speed and frame rate are tied.
I understand playstation games generally run less than 30fps. The example i quoted was something that i found intriguing indeed, you gotta see it for yourself to believe, I myself saw the two different TVs playbacked the same movie. You know movies generally runs at 24fps, but i can clearly see that one TV runs it at 60fps or beyond. In fact, it's advertisment did explain that that particular feature does indeed add frames into the motion picture.

For sony TVs, i believe it's called Motionflow™ PRO

Motionflowâ„¢ PRO : Sony Singapore

The feature, however, is usually found in the higher-end models. I wonder if computer monitors will have this sort of feature in the near future.

·
From Love and Limerence
6,574 Posts
Marketing at it's finest?

Perhaps Spyhop, the resident television and display guru, can add more, but as far as I can see, that's just a heavy exaggeration for what 120Hz/100Hz over 60Hz/50Hz is.

The television itself does not increase the frame rate of the source. That is saying that the display itself operates at 100Hz, which means the television itself always refreshes 100 times a second, but, if the source is not as many frames fast anyway, there will be no gain.

All Sony did was take the 120Hz/100Hz technology, and add some backlight blinking feature in each frame along with it, and slap a fancy name on it for marketing.

P.S. Off topic, but I have a Sony Bravia, but it's a 60Hz display.

·
Banned
23,263 Posts
I understand playstation games generally run less than 30fps. The example i quoted was something that i found intriguing indeed, you gotta see it for yourself to believe, I myself saw the two different TVs playbacked the same movie. You know movies generally runs at 24fps, but i can clearly see that one TV runs it at 60fps or beyond. In fact, it's advertisment did explain that that particular feature does indeed add frames into the motion picture.

For sony TVs, i believe it's called Motionflow™ PRO

Motionflowâ„¢ PRO : Sony Singapore

The feature, however, is usually found in the higher-end models. I wonder if computer monitors will have this sort of feature in the near future.
The TV had de-interlacing capabilities.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.