Next Generation Emulation banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Crack open that Xbox. It is a way to get the BIOS and the OS and it may be possible to figure out what the specs are by looking for what the OS is configured for.

·
PS2 PAL[v9], PS3Slim PAL
5,370 Posts
what's more, such thing has already been done... just do a google search... or was it just building x-box from "normal" pc components? :D

·
Premium Member
6,071 Posts
First of all, it's not that easy. Knowing whats in the Xbox is one thing, but having documentation is another. You can "crack" open your Xbox, but it won't help you make an emulator. If you don't have documentation on what you're emulating, you just can't do it... period. There's enough documentation out there to make an emu that renders some fixed-pipeline stuff, some vertex (but not) pixel shaders, and a little sound, but that's it.

building x-box from "normal" pc components
Thats not possible no matter what you do because a PC and Xbox are far more different than what you'd initially think. HINTS: the XBox's PIC is totally different from that of a PCs, the NV2A's MMIO addresses are completly different from an NV20 (GeForce 3), the MCP-X is not like an ordinary MCP, and the Xbox's modified version of the AC97 is not 100% compatible with a PC's. The hardware is the same, but just too different.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
A friend of mine did create an emulator that does work by breaking open an Xbox and deciphering the components. Another possible way to figure out the specs (for the processor at least) is to mod it to run Linux and see what kind of specs the OS detects the hardware as. You should at least be able to tell whether the CPU is a Celeron or a Pentium based on the size of the L2 cache.

·
Emulation to the max!
2,560 Posts
A friend of mine did create an emulator that does work by breaking open an Xbox and deciphering the components. Another possible way to figure out the specs (for the processor at least) is to mod it to run Linux and see what kind of specs the OS detects the hardware as. You should at least be able to tell whether the CPU is a Celeron or a Pentium based on the size of the L2 cache.
First of all your I doubt your friend made any emulator. Secondly, not all CPU's are Celeron or Pentium based. You really have no idea what your talking about do you?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have heard two answers for the type of processor that the Xbox has, Pentium 3 and Celeron. I got the Pentium 3 answer from OXM and I have also heard that it is a celeron from numerous other sources and by the way, he showed me the emulator. He has created other apps like the MMORPG Eternal Lands and is working on another game called Mystic Cosmos.

·
Administrator
8,200 Posts
I'm just going to close this. I hesitated at first, but claims of an emu with no proof or anything... I'va just seen to many of these.

Aniway's shouldn't you guys be partying? Christmas time!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.