Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. I'm new to emulating and I have a problem. I own Star Ocean: The Second Story and I'm here at college...I have my game, a PS2 to play it on...but I forgot to bring my PSX memory card. So I was forced to use emulation.

I downloaded ePSXe and looked around for the best plug-ins for it. I then made an ISO of my own game so I wouldn't have to try and hunt it down. the game is in good condition with very few faults on the disk. it always ran fine in my consoles.

However, when playing the emulation...I made my way to cross castle. while trying to enter, I hear the castle BGM for a few seconds....and then it crashes and I get THIS error...



I searched around and no one seems to have a real answer to this. many suggested changing my settings. Tried that. So...I dunno what I should do.

Can anyone help me? Please?
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
57 Posts
did you use them save states? if so, reset and load from the memory card saves, avoid using save states in the future.
another option is a bad cd (iso in your case)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
glory said:
did you use them save states? if so, reset and load from the memory card saves, avoid using save states in the future.
another option is a bad cd (iso in your case)
no. I dont use save states. at least i don't think I do. Like I said...I'm new to the emulation deal.

Lets say I just load my ISO and play the game, then save it normally in-game. would that be a save state or a memory card save?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5 Posts
I read another part of this forum with a similar error message, and they suggested that create an ISO from your cd and run the ISO instead. The error is due either to a scratched disc or bad ISO, so they said. Hope this helps.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Zeroman said:
I read another part of this forum with a similar error message, and they suggested that create an ISO from your cd and run the ISO instead. The error is due either to a scratched disc or bad ISO, so they said. Hope this helps.
Thats what I've been doing. the ISO I made was from my game and I was running the ISO.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
6,341 Posts
Logan289 said:
Lets say I just load my ISO and play the game, then save it normally in-game. would that be a save state or a memory card save?
That would be a memory card save. You could try either remaking the ISO or using ePSXe 1.5.2. What happens if you try playing through that point on the CD?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
n_w95482 said:
That would be a memory card save. You could try either remaking the ISO or using ePSXe 1.5.2. What happens if you try playing through that point on the CD?
it has the same error...its strange. its never happened like this on my consoles.

I'll try ePSXe 1.5.2. though. I've been using the latest one so far.

Edit - nope. didn't work for 1.5.2. same error
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
6,341 Posts
All you have to do is open up the memory card manager in PSXeven and point it to your ePSXe memory card.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,093 Posts
To make sure it's not a plugin's incompatibility, try using peops gpu plugin too.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
n_w95482 said:
All you have to do is open up the memory card manager in PSXeven and point it to your ePSXe memory card.
I did something like that but I didn't know where the memory card was. I'll try again and update here very soon. Thanks for your help so far guys.

Anyway...off to test!

Update - peops gpu plugin, while it did make my game look better than any other plug-in I have, didn't help the error. so...I'm off to do the PSXeven

Update 2 - DARN IT! Even PSXeven gets an error at that spot. :angry:

ok...now what? :(
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
n_w95482 said:
The memory card files are in the memcards folder in the ePSXe directory.
Yeah. I was looking in the wrong place. Anyway, as stated in an update of my last post, PSXeven also got the error so...what now?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,093 Posts
Wich program did you use to create the iso? Having the same problem with both emulators makes me believe it is indeed a problem with your disc. Maybe of that few scratches was to much for the program you used. I suggest dumping the game using clonecd or alcohol120% (game profile, ccd format).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I-Chan said:
Wich program did you use to create the iso? Having the same problem with both emulators makes me believe it is indeed a problem with your disc. Maybe of that few scratches was to much for the program you used. I suggest dumping the game using clonecd or alcohol120% (game profile, ccd format).
I used Alcohol 120% to make the ISO.

What is it you mean by "dumping the game?" Delete it?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,093 Posts
Dump like in dumping the data form the cd to the hard disk drive. Try loading the iso to an alcohol virtual's drive, and configure epsxe to use a cd plugin (peops, for example, works very well) to load the game from it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
I-Chan said:
Dump like in dumping the data form the cd to the hard disk drive. Try loading the iso to an alcohol virtual's drive, and configure epsxe to use a cd plugin (peops, for example, works very well) to load the game from it.
I have NO idea what all that means but I'll give it a try anyway. I'll let you all know what happens shortly. :thumb:

Update - ok....figured out how to "dump" the data to the virtual drive and all that...but now the game isn't even starting at all :(
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
GREAT news guys. I took a gamble by playing the game again and set everything to run REALLY fast (I wanted to rush through quickly). If anyone knows SO2, you have the choice of playing Claude's game, or Rena's game. Originally I had claude...so I chose Rena this time. I was hoping that the data would be different for Rena's game...and lo and behold it WAS! NO MORE CRASHING! At least for now...WOOHOO!

Thanks everyone for all your help. Go figure I'd be the one, of all people, to figure out a way around it :rotflmao:
 
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Top