Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Ya'ver drink Brazilian bold from fkn dunkn donuts!
11,526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Both a mysteriously disappearing German rating and sources close to Adventure Gamers seem to indicate that a special edition of The Secret of Monkey Island is on its way to the Xbox 360.

We first caught wind of this via GamerBytes, who managed to snag a picture of the German listing before it was removed from the Unterhaltungssoftware Selbstkontrolle website. The listing was for The Secret Of Monkey Island - Special Edition, with the system listed as the Xbox 360 and the publisher Activision Blizzard Deutschland GmbH, the European publishing arm for LucasArts.

Adventure game website Adventure Gamers claims that independent sources have already confirmed the existence of the project to them, with a planned revelation during E3 2009 in two weeks.

So what could the special edition tag mean? Is this a completely overhauled HD remake, or just the original title stretched and filtered? Will it be an Xbox Live Arcade title, or a full on Xbox 360 retail release? Does the project even exist?

We’ve sent out requests for more information to both LucasArts and Microsoft, though if the game is planned as a big E3 reveal, chances we’ll get official confirmation before then are slim.

If this turns out not to be a real project, someone needs to get on it immediately. There’s a whole generation of gamers who have no idea what game we’re talking about, and that needs to be rectified as soon as possible.
Source: Secret Of Monkey Island Special Edition Sails To 360? | Kotaku Australia

It's only speculation at the moment, but the possibility for a tuned up Monkey Island sounds very, very appealing to me (being the Monkey Island nut that I am). It would be superb to have new HD visuals for the game, as the old school look that the game has is still charming to this very day, but it can be very off putting for those who are spoiled by all the fancy visuals we have today. To give new life to one of the greatest, funniest and most original point and click adventure games of all time (bar none) and to introduce it to the new generation of gamers is just fantastic in my eyes.

Still, I want Monkey Island 5.

·
Registered
4,973 Posts
Source: Secret Of Monkey Island Special Edition Sails To 360? | Kotaku Australia

It's only speculation at the moment, but the possibility for a tuned up Monkey Island sounds very, very appealing to me (being the Monkey Island nut that I am). It would be superb to have new HD visuals for the game, as the old school look that the game has is still charming to this very day, but it can be very off putting for those who are spoiled by all the fancy visuals we have today. To give new life to one of the greatest, funniest and most original point and click adventure games of all time (bar none) and to introduce it to the new generation of gamers is just fantastic in my eyes.

Still, I want Monkey Island 5.
*Looks at copy of Monkey Island sitting next to him for the Sega CD*

WTF is this?

·
Registered
10,973 Posts
There was a Playstation 2 Monkey Island game as well

·
11,526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Escape from Monkey Island also came out for the PC, with a Grim Fandango style design and control method. Great game in its own rights, but I think that it struggled to capture the magic that the first two games did. More than worthy on anyone's shelf.

*Looks at copy of Monkey Island sitting next to him for the Sega CD*

WTF is this?
A portal to a world of splender, mighty pirates and fine leather jackets. Not as technically sound as the PC version, but more than worthy of a play through.

·
11,526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
New And Old Monkey Island Adventures In The Works | Kotaku Australia

The rumours of a remake of the original Monkey Island for Xbox Live Arcade are true, but it gets much better, as LucasArts and Telltale team up to deliver all-new episodic Monkey Island adventures.

Starting this July, Telltale will be releasing Tales of Monkey Island, a five-episode monthly adventure game series for the PC and WiiWare featuring the further adventures of Guybrush Threepwood and nemesis, LeChuck, as Guy accidentally releases a voodoo pox that threatens to turn the swashbuckling men of the Caribbean into pirate monsters, which is the only thing worse than just plain pirates.

Meanwhile, LucasArts is internally developing The Secret of Monkey Island: Special Edition, which is a completely update version of the 1990 original, complete with new graphics, a remastered musical score, and full voice-overs. FULL VOICE-OVERS.

This could either be very good news, or very sad news, depending on how they handle it. The Secret of Monkey Island is due out this winter on Xbox Live Arcade and the PC.
I need a defibrillator, I'm getting too excited.

·
Drowning in a red state.
11,919 Posts
I remember having and playing the pc version of the game.
The genre is definitely my cup of tea.

phoenix wright ftw. :lol:

I can imagine an HD remake would do well for download for about 25 usd. Making a Hard copy available for a similar price would be nice too.

·
Magitek Elite
254 Posts

What's Monkey Island Adventures?
I just looked at all the links...it seems kinda kiddish.
Is it fun?

·
11,526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Tales of Monkey Island seem to be in the same kind of production values that the reformed Sam and Max series went under not too long ago. But is it fun? Heck yes!

If you have never played the first 4 Monkey Island games you have missed out on a brilliant series. Sure the format may be old school and not anything like todays games, but what it lacks in technical prowess it more than makes up in brilliant story writing, original characters and some of the most hilarious dialogue ever to be contained in a game. The third in the series is a good starting point for newcomers as it is the most user friendly version, with timeless visuals and great voice acting, but it is the quality of the writing that will stick in your mind forever.

If you are interested EderraFan, Tim Schafer, the Brutal Legend creator did much of the writing for the Monkey Island series, and a great deal of its brilliance can be credited to his input. It's a point and click adventure game, and if you ever come across a copy, give it a shot, as it will be a game you will never forget.

·
Drowning in a red state.
11,919 Posts
Tales of Monkey Island seem to be in the same kind of production values that the reformed Sam and Max series went under not too long ago. But is it fun? Heck yes!

If you have never played the first 4 Monkey Island games you have missed out on a brilliant series. Sure the format may be old school and not anything like todays games, but what it lacks in technical prowess it more than makes up in brilliant story writing, original characters and some of the most hilarious dialogue ever to be contained in a game. The third in the series is a good starting point for newcomers as it is the most user friendly version, with timeless visuals and great voice acting, but it is the quality of the writing that will stick in your mind forever.

If you are interested EderraFan, Tim Schafer, the Brutal Legend creator did much of the writing for the Monkey Island series, and a great deal of its brilliance can be credited to his input. It's a point and click adventure game, and if you ever come across a copy, give it a shot, as it will be a game you will never forget.
I'm sorry to be a fanboy but are you describing the Phoenix Wright Series or what? :p

·
Magitek Elite
254 Posts

Wow, you got me hooked.
Now I wanna play it. Thanks, I may grow to love this game if I can get a copy ^^

Funny, huh? Hm...I love funny :wub:

Oh, it reminds me of Maniac Mansion, by Lucas Art ^^
I will love it.

·
11,526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I'm sorry to be a fanboy but are you describing the Phoenix Wright Series or what? :p
hurr hurr very funny.

Wow, you got me hooked.
Now I wanna play it. Thanks, I may grow to love this game if I can get a copy ^^

Funny, huh? Hm...I love funny :wub:

Oh, it reminds me of Maniac Mansion, by Lucas Art ^^
I will love it.
another great SCUMM game from LucasArts.

·
Heroes Might& Magic Champ
9,320 Posts
Sweet this is pretty awesome if this is true.

Time for a break from the mountain of 1stperson shooters/3rd person action games on the 360. They get tiresome fast.

They should release lucasarts scumm compliation packs on the 360. One scumm game i'd really like to play would be Dig. You play that one snicko?

·
11,526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yeah I got Dig and played through it. Very very interesting and enjoyable game. I was pretty young when I went through it and some of the puzzles were a wee hard for my then developing brain, but from what I recall it had a great story and was very enjoyable. I should play through it again to get a better appreciation of what it had to offer,

I was pretty fortunate getting my hands on a good range of SCUMM games, the LucasArts super sampler 3 had both Monkey Islands, Full Throttle, The Dig, Dark Forces and a demo disc with a smattering of upcoming games.

·
Heroes Might& Magic Champ
9,320 Posts
Cool, ill have to install win95 some time and find some old compilation of that game.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.