Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so I've got everything working perfectly for VBA-link. Both my computers (well, mine and my friend's) are set up with everything. He's running as the client. I'm at his house, so we're both behind his router, but I've got the 5738 (I think) port forwarded to his computer. We're golden; by that, I mean that the VBA-link program itself has us linked.

My problem is as follows:

When trying to trade in Pokemon Emerald, I (from now on, I means "we" as I'm controlling both computers) go upstairs in a pokemon center and talk to the gal about direct link (the one on the right, not the open room for the wireless adapter). We both save, etc etc, until I get to the screen where it asks which is to be the leader, and for the other to "JOIN ROOM."

Great. So I pick "Leader" on his screen and "JOIN ROOM" on mine. Everything works on his end, it says "Awaiting communication from another player." However, on my end, there are no rooms to join on the list! It's empty!

Can anyone tell me why this is? I've spent all day trying to get this link to work, and it'd just be really grand if I could get past this one last roadblock. I've tried everything. I've switched who's the leader, I've tried going into the wireless room but neither of us shows up on the other's screen. Please help!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I had that same problem for a while when I was trying to trade between leaf green and emerald...

You need to defeat the Final Four (in both games). You will then recieve the "national dex" from the professor and then you can trade with the other region. The only catch is with the leaf green / fire red versions, you need to complete the sevii island mission to allow you to trade with the other region.

Once you get all that done, the trading should work like just like normal,

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I highly doubt that's the problem, as I'm trying to trade between two copies of Emerald...the same version...I know about the complexities of trading between FR/LG and RuSaEm, so I figured I'd just see if I could get the link properly established with two identical versions, thus limiting the number of things which could negatively affect my results.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sorry for the double post, but somebody must know why I'm not able to trade. For clarification, I'm running two instances of VBA-link 1.8 on two separate computers. I'm able to link the programs (without a ROM running) just fine over the internet, and I'm using the exact same ROM (down to the file, I copied the ROM file from my computer to my friend's because his is finicky with un-zipping archives), Pokemon Emerald. Please help!

·
Banned
23,263 Posts
your internet may not be fast enough.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Of course. I go to the pokemon center and try to link via the direct link (the counter on the right, for people with link cables, because the wireless room thing didn't work either), and there is no option to join a room or anything. I explained it all in my first post.

·
Registered
2 Posts
if you have vba (any one of the newer versions) it should include a wireless connection capability. go to options>link>wireless adapter. Once thats checked you should be able to trade through the wireless connection. I've personally never gotten the direct link to work on an emulator and i don't know how it does.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
That was the first thing I tried, and it didn't work. That's why I went to the direct connection. The wireless adaptor has to be enabled to do ANY sort of trading at all in Pokemon, I believe. Either way, when I enabled it on both computers (which were successfully linked using VBA-Link) and try to enter the Wireless Room with both characters, they seem to go to their own "separate" rooms. It's as if they're not connected to anything. They don't show up in the same room.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.