Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's the deal. I am playing Shenmue 1 and 2 again. Currently I am playing Shenmue 1 and I was forced to use the chankast video plugin (CVP now on) because it runs smooth with only few bugs (transparencies, which don't really bother me that much). What I find weird is that with the nullPVR plugin it runs really bad, it runs slower on some parts whereas CVP runs at the same speed on every part of the game.

I now am again trying to get PVR to work like chankast does (if that is possible). So, would anyone suggest any configurations? In the meanwhile I will try changing every option one by one and playing the game to compare. A good thing to know would be is if changes I made in the PowerVR configs during are applied during gameplay or if I have to change the option, quit the emulator, and start it again for changes to take effect.

Specs:
AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800 (2ghz)
Asus m2npv-vm
Supertalent 2x1gb DDR2 800mhz
Geforce 6150 (oboard, set to 512mb)

note: before *****ing at my onboard card, let me remember you that the game runs perfectly smooth with CVP and I can play other non-emulated games such as PES2009, Counter-Strike Source, etc at average resolutions (900x600) perfectly :)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, I know the card is a piece of ****. I don't even use my computer for playing, it's just now I am on holidays. Anyway, what's weird is that it runs pretty good with the CVP.

Anyhoo, I am testing different configs. and writing the results in a chart, so I will then post them here.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Emulation is very CPU bound - the main reason an offboard card helps is because graphics are no longer interfering with the emulation thread proper(correct me if I'm wrong). However, on my old system(2.66 GHz Prescott & Radeon 9200 Pro 512(or was it 256?) MB), I pretty much had to use the Chankast plugin(nullPVR got REALLY crappy framerates). Since your processor looks fairly good(It's been forever since I've used AMD), I'm willing to be that your onboard chipset's just bad(again, I'm no expert with onboard graphics - I can't remember any post-Socket 7 system of mine that didn't use a discrete card).

·
Premium Member
2,299 Posts
nullPVR needs a stronger video card than Chankast Video. The main reasons for this are the more demanding features that nullPVR has (sorting, render to texture, modifier volumes, fog emulation, etc.) and the load it takes from the CPU.

Chankast Video relies more on the CPU and misses some "heavy" features. As a result it works better on "crappy" video cards but it also increases the CPU requirements.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
nullPVR needs a stronger video card than Chankast Video. The main reasons for this are the more demanding features that nullPVR has (sorting, render to texture, modifier volumes, fog emulation, etc.) and the load it takes from the CPU.

Chankast Video relies more on the CPU and misses some "heavy" features. As a result it works better on "crappy" video cards but it also increases the CPU requirements.
Oh, I see. Thanks for the info

1 - 6 of 6 Posts