Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Diehard 3Dfx Fanboy!
544 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
First, I would like to say that in my exprience, Bleem! runs Omega Boost smoother & better (graphically, with NO GLITCHES) than the PSX can! I've tried running it with ePSXe and it completely screws up the XA audio with most of the plugins I have used; and this is running both emu's on the same 233 Mhz Pentium1 system! If anything, that alone may have been worth paying some of that $30 price tag.

Now, the little problem that I have is that after a while, the XA audio playback starts stuttering REALLY bad. It does it after 15 seconds of playing the title screen song, while it does it after maybe 5 mins or so during the in-game levels. Is this just an emulation bug, or is it something else? It's not a BIG problem (I just turn off the background music when that happens), but its still annoying enough to ask people about it.

Oh, and while we're on the topic of Bleem!'s XA audio playback, why is it that the Hard Drive looks as if its constantly writing or reading something when bleem! is playing back any type of XA audio? I thought is was supposed to be read\streamed off the cd, not wearing out the read\write heads on my hard drive!

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
Could be the Cdrom drive it's self... I have an old Lite-on drive that accesses the HD when ever the CD is accessed. It's due to the drive not having much cache and caching everything to the HD.
As an experiment try a PC game and see if the HD light comes on when ever the Cd is accessed.

·
Diehard 3Dfx Fanboy!
544 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Already tried that experiment. It doesn't do it that much. What I'm talking about is SOLID RED for the entire time its playing back an XA audio track; and when its decoding the sound for Movies, which I'm guessing is XA audio format as well.

My old 6gig Quantaum drive gave out completely after using Bleem! for about a month. I don't want the same thing to happen to this replacement 13gig drive, since I don't have enough money to replace it.

As for my CD-ROM drive, its a Toshiba XM-6102B; it can read at a maximum of 24x. I have DMA (Direct Memory Access) enabled.

The CD-DA function is greyed out in the MultiMedia Properties window. I'm running Windows 98 Second Edition.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts