Next Generation Emulation banner

Old trouble with FFC FFIV.

3K views 15 replies 5 participants last post by  KrossX 
#1 ·
Sorry for diggin' this old trouble.
US FFC FFIV (SLUS_013.60)
Boxes, chains, airship edges - no transparent, solid black.

Tested with epsxe 1.7.0 and:
Pete's OGL2 2.9 (no filtering & hi-res, use pixel shaders 1 or 0, used both, maximum comparability (FE/FU 3/2), OSD 2 or 1 (again, used both)). No fixes.
PEOpS Soft 1.17 - 16/32 bit rendering.

I use 3 different PC for check. From laptop Rageon Xpress 200m to Core2Duo 8600/Ati HD4870. Nvidia 8600m also have this trouble with FFIV.

By the way, I additionally tested PAL version of FFA (pal version include FFIV and FFV, not FFVI) - identical results. And pSX emulator failed too.

So, question is - 1) SOMEBODY know cause of this glitch, and 2) How, using ePSXe kill this glitch once and for all.
Thanks.

P.S. No, please, do not tell me about "FFIV in FFC is hard SNES version, so use SNES emulator". Question is about PSX emulation.

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
i know ive seen another user getting the same problem, i attempted to sort it out with him but unfortunately i dont think the issue was ever fixed.

what threw me in a loop was that it was occuring with both software and hardware plugins, just as it is with you now. i was first expecting it to be an issue that was limited to the choice of using a hardware plugin since 2d games should not really be used with one, but the problem turned out to be present in both.

another guess of mine was that it was related to the texture quality setting but i dont think that lead to anything either (you might want to play around with the setting just in case though).

edit- just so im understanding you right here, you say you have both IV and V? they are both 2d so does this same thing happen with V as well or what? i know you will probably hate me for saying this but the SNES (or GBA) version might be the thing to go with.

atm i do not really know of any fixes for this issue, if i had the game myself i would sit down with it and see if i can trigger the problem and find a solution myself but right now this is one of those things that is just a pain in the ass to figure out.

#3 ·
enable dithering and disable use system memory

other then that, it should be fixed in 1.7.0 and the latest peops gpu plugins(which you don't have).

#4 ·
Tested with PEOpS Soft 1.18 - no results.
By the way, "use system memory" - just for disabling of internal screen filtering.
Dithering in 32bit mode? Hmm... Anyway, again no results.

To jonc2006 - this bug related only to FFIV. But in EU (pal version) FFIV was bundled not with Chrono Trigger, but with FFV.

#5 ·
I'm starting to think if its happening on all emulators it might be an emulation error in the game itself....

#7 ·
when you were using the OGL2 did you have alpha multi-pass enabled? try turning it off if you did.

#8 ·
it should work fine on psx..... its probably a regional incompatibility or something.

#9 ·
Pal PSX and Pal FFIV from FFA - what incompatibility? No black borders
US PSX (yeah, my friend once buy this device) and FFIV from FFA - no black borders.
pSX and ePSXe with any graphics plugins - black borders.
Only way I still do not use - trying something different from Xp. Me or Linux.

By the way, OGL2 do not have option "alpha multipass".

#12 ·
Just searched for it to test it, it looks fine to me.
FFIV - Screenshot

Just using ePSXe v1.7.0, PEOpS 1.18 with
1280x960x32 + Scale3x
Game dependant dithering
And.... stop screensaver.
Everything else, is disabled.

Note: This one is from Final Fantasy Chronicles which comes with Chrono Trigger.
The other one, Anthology, comes with FFV and FFVI. This are NTSC-U versions.
I think I'm missing one more of this oldies repacks....

#16 · (Edited)
I do not think it matters since it's not a hardware based plugin.

Anyhow, I also get the issue with pSX but not with ePSXe even
with version 1.17 of the soft plugin.
pSX Screenshot

I'm gonna try to make it happen on ePSXe.

#EDIT
I've tested, PEOpS Soft with variated configs and color depth, Pete's D3D, OGL1 and OGL2....
None show the issue. O_O

Maybe is like the weird issue with the text on FF8.
Try with a new memcard and remove any savestates you may have. (move them away or so)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.