Next Generation Emulation banner

OLD Threads..

2K views 20 replies 12 participants last post by  Bobbi 
#1 · (Edited)
Just came to my mind, this problem with answering to old threads, is there was a possibility to write some kind of script or so (don't know anything about PHP and just a little about java :) ) that it woudl automaticly close threads that weren'n reviewed about month, 2 months or so? I guess it would be very helpfull for moderators.
If someone would like to answer to a old thread than he could PM a moderator with a request of reopening thread (and also could write what he wants to add to it). Of course there could be possibility to mark some threads that they'd be unclosed for all the time, or for some bigger ammount of time than the 'standard' one.
What do you people think??

#2 ·
I think that this was brought up a few times before and was never liked...

#3 ·
Well it does sound like a good idea. Maybe there are just problems as members and not admins we can't see.

#4 ·
It doesnt sound like a good idea. Some of those old threads are still going on till now, like the love thread, religon thread, avatar threads,...etc

Yours,
-Elly

#5 · (Edited)
エッリー said:
It doesnt sound like a good idea. Some of those old threads are still going on till now, like the love thread, religon thread, avatar threads,...etc

Yours,
-Elly
KanedA said:
Of course there could be possibility to mark some threads that they'd be unclosed for all the time, or for some bigger ammount of time than the 'standard' one.
and

KanedA said:
it woudl automaticly close threads that weren'n reviewed about month, 2 months or so?

Lol just have quoted myslef ;) :innocent:

#6 ·
I don't really like it. Thread revivals are hardly hitting such an epidemic level to require something a drastic as that. Besides AFAIK such a script would have to parse the whole database. At it's current size that would probably take bleedin ages and slow the site to a crawl while it was at it :p.

#7 ·
well I guess those stuff are unavoidable for noobs and newbie... but if everyone would just read the rules, use some common sense by reading the late posted date... it would be controlled (I guess :p)

#8 ·
エッリー said:

Yours,
-Elly
Well I think he meant closing threads in which there hasn't been posted for a couple of months.

#9 ·
but if there is a script made and it would like automatically lock a thread that is 6 months old or older, these threads (love threads, avatar, religion etc.) would also be locked...

#13 ·
Well like the admins have already stated and I agree ... Some threads won't be posted in for a good month or two if not longer and then some new news surfaces up and people want to post in it. You could start a new thread, but if that thread already has some good info in it why bother? There are certain cases like that :) In the end it makes it less confusing.

What some members don't understand is that we don't make a fuss if someone posts in an old thread with some a good reply that contributes to the topic. But it is when someone reply's to a year old thread just to say "I agree :D " that we get pissed ;)

#14 ·
Cid Highwind said:
Well I think he meant closing threads in which there hasn't been posted for a couple of months.
The thing is, some threads DO get revived for a very good reason, like the Geforce FX 5800 shots thread and whats not. Besides, it's easier said than done , on what basis should that script close the threads? who is going to write it? Is it going to slow down the forums? Why all that hassle because of a few newbies ? :p

Yours,
-Elly

#15 ·
Elly does make some good points. Although it would fix some problems like noob (a.k.a. me ooops) posting in old thread it would just create way to many other problems like slowdowns and such.

#18 · (Edited)
Yeah it could be done and set as a cron job that is done everyday, every week .. or whatever.

I am not sure what the variables are for vB but it would be something like ..

(lastpostime = whatever the variable name is for the last post time .. use last post time rather then the thread creation time to avoid closing all old threads with new replies.)

Code:
UPDATE thread SET open = 0 WHERE lastpostime < ".(time() - (60 * 60 * 24 * 60))."
I set it to 60 which is about 2 months.

Edit: I should add I agree this is not needed and adds extra stress to the server. Just showing how it could be done if it came down to that.

#19 ·
well thats our boss keith :)

> The thing is, some threads DO get revived for a very good reason

I agree to that... especially if the reply is very relevant to the topic, although I think the one whose gonna revive the thread be somehow courteous and explain a little bit why he would post there... not just any mindless reply...

> Hmm.. I agree. Then how "old" is an "old thread?

I think if its 2 month or more....

#20 ·
エッリー said:
The thing is, some threads DO get revived for a very good reason, like the Geforce FX 5800 shots thread and whats not. Besides, it's easier said than done , on what basis should that script close the threads? who is going to write it? Is it going to slow down the forums? Why all that hassle because of a few newbies ? :p

Yours,
-Elly
Well I completely agree with you, it's better to leave them open so that others have the ability to still post something with value, than close everything old for just 1 revived thread in a week.

btw, the only thing I meant with my previous post is that IF such a script would be written, it should work with the date of the last post, and not with the date the thread started ;)

G
#21 ·
Server load is not-critical as long as the index tables are halfway up to date (which they are on NGEmu). Writing a script is, as Keith's code already showed, a one-liner and not an issue either.

However, the use of this is very questionable ... as it has already been said, there are old threads which might still have some use for us - so no, we will not introduce this, we'll have to live with the usual number of revived threads.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.