Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Right now as i'm writing this post i'm holding my old 8-bit Game Gear.One of the best handheld consoles which did not sale as much as game boy although it was better.I also saw some of my games.Mortal Kombat1,2,3 Nba jam T.E,Sonic Drift2,Virtua Fighter.Man......back then everything was perfect.I remember coming from school with a game in my mind.Ahhhhh that Arena was fuc%$# perfect.Oh and MK2,oh and Sonic and and and....So why i'm writing this?Well cause i'd like to know if there is any emulator for game gear (apart from Dega,Meka,Panorama etc) and whether there'll be some updates for dega or meka (btw a good option would be the use of 2xSAI like in Nebula and VisualBoyAdvance) :)

·
Registered
102 Posts
Are you kidding? The Game Gear ate it hard. That cumbersome black block was home to hordes of trash console ports and had a laughable battery life of ~5 hours; my Game Boy could get 10+ hours on two batteries, while Game Gear sucked 6 of those beasts dry in less than half that time. Granted, Sega's hardware had the benefit of improved graphics, but how much fun is it when the development houses neglect to add in some worthwhile gameplay? I'll take a Game Boy over Sega's handheld failure any day.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Gameboy sukcs,it really does although it managed to beat Game Gear.Game Boy's display needs light (not it's own,from other sources) in order to see something,it had pathetic graphics it's games were toooooo damn slow.Yeah Game Gear had the prob with batteries but you could take an a.c-d.c adaptor.Furthermore the gameplay of game gear's games was outstanding,even virtua fighter was a cool beat em up and don't forget mk series,primal rage,arena,sonic series,street of rage series,nba jam series and all games tha were made for both of them were better on Game Gear.The main problem was that Sega didn't support properly Game Gear (as didn't with master system,saturn and dreamcast).Anyway i believe that Game Gear was a perfect handheld console back then with lots of games......but could not survive.Oh and......it had and better sound :)

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well Nomad was 16bit whereas Game Gear and Game Boy were 8bit,yes Nomad was very good,in fact better than anything else but it had a disadvantage which was that it played Genesis game's.And disadvantage because someday Sega would stop supporting it in order to move on with Saturn.If only it had it's own games.....

·
Registered
102 Posts
I'd much rather play Wario Land than Sonic and Tails. And just because a system has better hardware than another is no indication of its superiority. Case in point is the almighty flop, the Jaguar. When Atari's last hurrah entered the market, it slaughtered the competition in the technology department. It certainly didn't mean the Jaguar would have better games or gaurantee a long lifespan. I keep my Game Gear stored in a dark corner of my closet where I hope it will never have to see the light of day again.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
In case u didn't see i already said that games that were available on both consoles were better on Game Gear (just try playing MK series and Nba Jam series and you'll see the difference).Yes Game Boy had some very good games but not as good as Game Gear did (Sonic Triple Trouble,Arena,Virtua Fighter,Ecco,Shining Force series,Nba Action,Power Rangers series Primal Rage,Columns,,Ax Battler(a very good and not well known rpg btw),Alien3 and the catalogue goes on.....)
The only games i liked on Gameboy were Donkey Kong,Super Mario1 and Kirby's Adventures (and i have many games for both these consoles)

G

·
FF Adventure for the GB wasn't even an FF. It was actually the first Secret of Mana. The only thing it had from the FFs was a Chocobo. GG also had the Master Gear adapter, which enabled it to play Master System games as well. I played Phantasy Star on the GG w/one of those adapters and boy was it fun. The best GG emulator I have run across, besides Meka, is one called CG and it runs on the Pocket PC. I have a Cassiopeia E-125 and CG (which does Master System games as well) runs flawlessly. I can now again enjoy Defenders of Oasis on GG, w/proper graphics, speed, and sound. Also the GG had a TV tuner that worked quite well, I know, I had one. Lastly, GG has be resurrected and is being sold by Toys R Us exclusively. It is not made by Sega any more, but by soe other company. However, I have heard that all the older games will work w/it, the GG Game Genie, and TV tuner as well.
sincerely,
sx/amiga

·
Premium Member
6,391 Posts
Originally posted by john2
Gameboy sukcs,it really does although it managed to beat Game Gear.Game Boy's display needs light (not it's own,from other sources) in order to see something,it had pathetic graphics it's games were toooooo damn slow.Yeah Game Gear had the prob with batteries but you could take an a.c-d.c adaptor.Furthermore the gameplay of game gear's games was outstanding,even virtua fighter was a cool beat em up and don't forget mk series,primal rage,arena,sonic series,street of rage series,nba jam series and all games tha were made for both of them were better on Game Gear.The main problem was that Sega didn't support properly Game Gear (as didn't with master system,saturn and dreamcast).Anyway i believe that Game Gear was a perfect handheld console back then with lots of games......but could not survive.Oh and......it had and better sound :)
Heh, what's the point of having a portable game system if it only lasts a short time? Most labtops are geared towards portability, they sacrifice power for longetivity. Sega obviously didn't realize this when they designed the GG. The most important thing to a portable machine is its longetivity and size, not good graphics and sounds.

The game library of game gear sucked hard, the gameboy had so many cooler games. The primary reason for the failure of a console are the games. Neo Geo failed because it's games were too expensive, the N64 failed (to compete with the Playstation) because of its small game library (and because it used cartridges) and so goes for the Jaguar. There's no other explanation why a console of superior technology would fail so miserably with another console of inferior technology.

Sega's business strategy sucks. They had a good chance to come back with the dreamcast but they messed it up big time.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.