Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
But I'm still curious...I know what the sticky said about not asking, but that notification that 'everything is still being worked on' is almost a year old (It was last edited January of 2005) so that tells me 1 of 2 things:

It is still true, and there is no need to edit it as the creators have informed the writer of the topic that they are indeed still working on the emulator, albeit slowly (which is acceptable)

That no one knows anything about the status, and that topic serves as little more than to keep questions like mine to a minimum. (Which is understandable, given the extreme annoyance a multitude of similar topics creates on a msg borad).

Anyway, I'm asking not because I'm an idiot, or that I feel the rules don't apply to me...but merely for a more current update. If the same thing is in effect, why not re-edit it so that people can look at the bottom of the post and go 'Oh, hey...it's only 2 weeks old since they last updated it, so I'm set. Just gonna wait'

Now, I can totally understand the fact that the authors have thier own lives. We ALL do...however, not even having a little one sentence line on their site that says 'We've taken a Hiatus, but continue to work in our spare time, so the next release will be slow'

Or even a 'We've decided that ePSXe has gone as far as we wish to take it, and are happy with the results. There will be no release of the source code'

I know I'm not alone in feeling it's something that would be courteous...but not demanded. In all honesty, this is a simple request and query, not an outright 'OMFG YOU OWE MEEE!!'

Because the creators do -not-. They did not make this emu for me, or for anyone else or for any reasons other than their own personal ones. And I respect that and them, I just would -like- an update. Asking for one in a simple, civil, and polite manner is pretty much the only way I feel one could even begin to be given.

Hell, I don't care if they say -nothing- of the emulator, if only to let us know they are still around (Sites and domain names can be purchased in bulk year amounts) because the lack on any life on their site since August 5th, 2003 is what has kept me from donating towards this amazing program and project.

So I guess it's two-fold. I don't expect any word on the emulator, but would -love- something in that regard. And I would like to know if I donate money towards them, that it will go towards the development of whatever they are working on next.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
As far as I am concerned, your request is a very legitimate one. I'm no authoritive figure on these boards or on anything ePSXe however, so all I can do is sympathize and share your perspective, hoping this will strengthen your position against anything with a bad mood coming this way.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, Gaurav...I apprecaite that at least someone here realizes that it is legitimate, and not an idiotic demand.

Just a simple question, and one that will hopefully get an honest answer without flaming me to bits...lol

·
<font color="#FF0066"><b>Advanced Newbie</b></font
6,122 Posts
hmmm... flamming is what i would wait from this, i mean, its just too much to read :p

·
The Hunter
17,202 Posts
We should already be glad he made some nice paragraphs while not using any smiley at all, both features are pretty rare in posts of new members these days :p

·
Emulation to the max!
2,624 Posts
those are some mighty short paragraphs... lol. though i agree it is much better than most posts by new members.

·
Premium Member
bsnes, ePSXe
23,380 Posts
i'll be straight with you---it's all just a cover up.

if i had my way with it, i'd make a thread that says "i dont know what the hell is going on with ePSXe, so STOP ASKING FFS IT WONT MAKE A NEW VERSION COME OUT"

because i remember talking with I-Chan when he made that thread. we didnt talk to the authors. that thread is just to stop the wave of "so how is ePSXe doing???" because honestly, i dont know.

it sucks man. the code to ePSXe was lost, and a lot of progress was lost. 1.6.0 was supposed to support pad plugins and some other fancy features, but it didn't.

to be honest: i dont know when or if there will be a new ePSXe version. but i really think it's pointless to inquire. matters of a new release, the source code, or anything like that are things you can take up with the authors--but i dont know if they'd like it. i havent even seen them around in a long time. i remember going into #epsxe back in the day and seeing _demo_, calb, lewpy, etc etc in there, some of the old school PSX emu heroes, now it's held down by people like me, n_w95482, langaiden, snake785, and CPUmaster, among others.

i'd love for ePSXe to re-emerge. 1.6.0 came out not long after i first started PSX emulation (like 3 months!) and i thought progress was really moving. especially upon this statement on the main page:
Many things have been fixed and some more features should be included in another fix version that will be released shortly.
calb, galtor, and _demo_'s email addresses are on the epsxe page, but i dont know if they check those anymore. to many people, they are emulation heroes (look how many people use ePSXe!). another thing too--ePSXe is so advanced that tiny things can really hurt the program. 1.6.0 fixed big bugs in GT2, CTR, etc...but it introduced timing problems that hurt games like FF9 and MGS.

so, in all honesty, who knows!

and the reason that sticky was made was to stop these threads ;) it's like russian propaganda...DO NOT THINK! DO NOT QUESTION! just do what we tell you!!

·
<font color="#FF0066"><b>Advanced Newbie</b></font
6,122 Posts
well, there still would be new version coming soon, hey i was really surprissed when xeven released psxeven 0.19 i expect many releases anyday now, no seriously i do

·
Premium Member
bsnes, ePSXe
23,380 Posts
yeah, there was less than a year between 0.18 and 0.19. but hey, PSXeven is still being worked on for sure, more reason to go bug Xeven!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hushy- That makes a lot of sense actually *LOL*...and I thank you for being honest with me. I guess all we can really do is hope and wait and see if there -may- be some work on the horizon...and even if there is not, at least we have 1.6.0 which is still one of the (if not THE) best PSX Emulator ever created.

And yeah, they were short paragraphs...XD...just my writing style I suppose. And I know what it's like to get someone who comes in with 1 post and says 'OMFG! WHAT GO ON?!?'...they are asshats and deserve to be blasted =P...so I try and write a little more, give myself at least the illusion of intelligence, and remain polite. You get more flies with sugar than vinegar.

Anyhoo, I appreciate the info, and I'll hold off on sending any donations...as much as I'd love to see some new progress, I doubt tossing money that may not even reach the target would help =\

I'm going to try the e-mails, and hopefully I can reach one or all of them. If not, ah well...Like I said I don't expect anything, as I don't deserve it. So anything I get would be awesome =D...I'll post here if I do happen to get a response...

And What's the server for the #epsxe IRC chat? I'd like to get in on that as well (if it's even open to just anyone)

EDIT: Nevermind about the IRC...I figured it out (didn't realize there was a Java based IRC client on the site itself)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.