Next Generation Emulation banner

Oh Dear God No...

4K views 54 replies 23 participants last post by  Talbain 
#1 ·
The executive vice president of game development at Square-Enix has joined Microsoft game studios.

GameSpy said:
"Sakaguchi-san has taken role-playing games — traditionally a niche market — and introduced them to a broad and diverse audience across the globe," said Peter Moore, corporate vice president of Worldwide Marketing and Publishing at Microsoft. "We are ecstatic to work with Sakaguchi-san and celebrate what this news means not only for Xbox, but for gamers worldwide."

"I'm excited about the two epic game titles we will be developing," Sakaguchi said. "A number of talented creators have signed on to help develop these games, and I'm confident we will be able to create games that provide gamers with a new kind of thrill.
I cant believe my nightmare came true... what are the odds? I dont think Square-Enix will be developing games for Xbox but only the future can tell whats going to happen.

#3 ·
Dude, it's just a high ranking person leaving one company and joining another.
His actions have to relevance the Sqeenix policy.

#4 ·
Well here is an even bigger nightmare for you guys, I just seen it on yahoo news last night, the person in charge of the FF series, I forget his name has agreed to do two or three RPG titles for the Xbox 2, stating that he felt he could finally do what he really wanted to do with an RPG game due to Xbox 2 having three procs or some crap like that, This should make all you Xbox fanboys happy, you're getting the man behind the FF series to do RPG's for you. Here are my sources. Basically the same as what the OP posted but still this sucks.

http://news.inq7.net/infotech/index.php?index=1&story_id=28766

http://www.portervillerecorder.com/articles/2005/02/26/ap/hitech/d88fhjfo2.txt

#11 ·
But the PS3 is gonna have FOUR processors and ... and ... and ... what are they thinking?!? This can't be !!! :cry:

... as long as they keep making good games I don't mind that (if there will be good ports) ;)

P.S.: No! Kingdom Hearts ownz the Gamecube already :D

#12 ·
Big deal, as long as Final Fantasy XII doesn't suck as much as the main character (probably) does.

There are bigger things to worry about in the games industry, for one: 80% of Game's preorder catalogue bearing the "EA Games" name.

I hope Sakaguchi has a good time in his new job. Since the guy has given me some of the best moments of my life, it would be both stupid and unfair of me to critisise his decisions.

#13 ·
The games will be available first in Japan, but eventually the company plans to translate them for the United States and other markets
LOL, this means the games aren't even planned of becoming a triple A title in the first place. Perhaps it will become something like Crystal Cronicles :p

Let's just don't act like some M$-haters or PS worshippers, and hope that the games will be worth their own release :)

#16 ·
Like as if he's the only talented person at Square-Enix :rolleyes: He doesn't make a great game alone you know ;)

#17 ·
As long as they don't make the ff games exclusive to xbox then i will be happy.Hell if it does go exclusive to xbox they have lost me as a customer.

#18 ·
I feel this is a bad thing and a good thing.

Were going to be seeing a new fresh rpg series soon. I always am glad to see a new face in the town that isn't run by "Series names". I don't like the x-box. I even have one and i'm never really on it. I do say though that this nice pc in a box, always gave me hope that we'd get more ports from it to the pc. I'd of love to see a few more 3d console style rpg out on here.

This really dosn't effect SE at all. FFXII really didn't have him as a director, like most people think. He was just a consultant. If FFXII does well, it just goes to show that it takes a group more so than one person to create a masterpiece. I also see that the "Chrono series" and more will still be apart of SE and had very little to do with HS.

The biggest downside I see to all of this is, M$ has just got another person that they could eventually buy out. I have that problem with the X-box. There's more buyout and "small dotted lines" with thier servies like X-Box live. It just makes me wonder how long it will be before we loose many of the creators of nintendo's flagships, as well as Hideo Kojima permantely to one system.

(Where's the love for nintendo anymore?)

#21 ·
Raiden1803 said:
Actualy i think this is a good thing, We need more Good RPG's Other than Fable And KOTOR on Xbox :) i think they'll bring a whole new title other than final fantasy to microsoft, Besides. isnt final fantasy only liscenced to sony's PS System's anyway?
I agree that Xbox does need more RPG's. If Xbox 2 has more 3rd party developers then I would definitly consider buying it, but I dont want every new "hit" title to have MS Game Studios on it.

#22 ·
Err, am I missing something? He has nothing to do with SE, he was from Square but he have his own studio now, I don't think it affects any of SE games does it? Nor he left SE because of joining MS, his studio is just making games for xbox2 that's all.

And what's so bad about this? It's good to see the dude comes back with a new studio and start making new games. I thought he haven't been participating in making games lately. I liked a lot of the old FFs and it seems that he was one of those that're behind those.

I don't get how is this like the end of the world, or am I missing something here.

I'm excited in the next gen consoles. =)

#23 ·
more detailed article :

http://www.xbox.com/en-US/news/2005/0224-sakaguchi.htm

source : xbox.com
Father of the “Final Fantasy” Series and AIAS Hall of Fame Inductee will develop Xbox roleplaying games!

February 24, 2005—Microsoft Corporation today announced that Hironobu Sakaguchi, videogame legend and president of Mistwalker game studio, has joined with Microsoft® Game Studios to develop roleplaying games (RPG) exclusively for the next-generation Xbox® video game system.

Sakaguchi is best known as the creator of the Final Fantasy franchise, which has sold more than 60-million units worldwide. He was the executive vice president in charge of game development at Square Enix Co., Ltd., until February 2001.

#25 ·
How come no ones hates Sony? Hating Microsoft seems to be the cool thing to do... but why doesn't anyone hate Sony? People constantly talk about how much they hate the RIAA and the MPAA. Sony practically IS both the RIAA and MPAA. They're a huge, faceless "evil" corporation just as much as Microsoft is. In fact, in many ways, they're far worse - as they're a more versatile corporation, responsible for all kinds of electronics as well as publishing and producing both music and video. They're not quite as monopolistic as Microsoft, but that's not by choice. Sony, and just about any large corporation, would do just about anything in their power to build and maintain a monopoly in their given field the way Microsoft has. Don't say it's a quality thing either. Yeah, most Sony electronics are pretty well-made, but they're not god-like - I've had far better luck with Panasonic and Samsung than I've had with Sony. As far as gaming electronics go, Sony has proven that they're NOT that reliable, but people don't care. Of the 3 major consoles, the PS2 is BY FAR the most prone to technical difficulties, but people seem to dismiss it and not care... if either MS or Nintendo had the same amount of dead ducks, people would be bashing them non-stop.

Now, I'm not saying that I hate Sony and I'm not saying I hate MS either (I personally have no real problem with either company). I'm just saying that Sony is just as, if not MORE hate-able than MS. And that anyone who hates MS cause they're a big evil greedy corporation who profits on buggy products, they might as well hate Sony for all those same reasons.

I personally think people don't hate them as much, simply because alot of the gaming community has some irrational love affair with Japan, and all things Japanese.

#26 ·
I really can't think of a company I hate....I mean come on...Microsoft really turned around...if something is messed up on your computer, it's most likely something else (that is if you update and such) other than XP (if you have it). I mean this kinda turns into a fanboy thing...if you hate something, don't say because "they are a big company" or something to that sort, because if the thing you support is really better...and people find out...guess what? They are going to take over and become the big boy. Only thing I'm getting at, is if you hate something have reason...if the Squenix guy wants to got to MS...sure...not going to hurt my gaming thumbs...or fingers if I"m on a keyboard...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.