Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Experenced But New User
866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
http://ogle.eyebeamresearch.org/ said:
OGLE (i.e. OpenGLExtractor) is a software package by Eyebeam R&D that allows for the capture and re-use of 3D geometry data from 3D graphics applications running on Microsoft Windows. It works by observing the data flowing between 3D applications and the system's OpenGL library, and recording that data in a standard 3D file format. In other words, a 'screen grab' or 'view source' operation for 3D data.

The primary motivation for developing OGLE is to make available for re-use the 3D forms we see and interact with in our favorite 3D applications. Video gamers have a certain love affair with characters from their favorite games; animators may wish to reuse environments or objects from other applications or animations which don't provide data-level access; architects could use this to bring 3D forms into their proposals and renderings; and digital fabrication technologies make it possible to automatically instantiate 3D objects in the real world.
Whow, this is just what I was looking for. Anyone want to try out with any games / emulators that use OpenGL? Right now it does not record the textures, but thats one of their next goals.
OGLE Homepage

·
Emulation to the max!
2,560 Posts
... think it would work with like n64 or psx opengl video plugins?

·
InnarX
2,756 Posts
This seems like an interesting piece of software. From what I see, the potential for creative designing/freedom is definitely there.

Copy the poly arrangement of your favourite character, and you can save it and use it as an outling for a real-life sculpture....interesting.

r2rX :D

·
AKA snkmad
4,030 Posts
some quake 4 models would be nice ;)

·
Experenced But New User
866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I want them to add support for the textures, then we can animate some of the models we rip from our favoret games!

·
Premium Member
1,933 Posts
Doesn’t all this border on copyright infringement? Most software agreements have a line about not using materiel from their products in such a way. I.E no models, textures, sounds, ect… to be used in another program or work unless specified by the copyright holder.

For instance, you can legally use Half Life 2 models and textures to make a Half Life 2 Mod. But you cannot use Half Life 2 models and textures to make a Doom 3 mod. As Valve will see this as copyright infringement.

To my knowledge this same Idea applies to console games.

·
Premium Member
1,933 Posts
No, companies see intellectual property as one and the same regardless of how you use it. if you don’t have their permission to redistribute something then likely it is in violation of some agreement.

·
InnarX
2,756 Posts
You are quite right, Katsuya.....but, on the other hand; I believe Eye Beam Research are aware of this, and so if that is the case then there must be a valid reason why it is legit.

If, for what ever reason, the company is not aware of this, or they choose to ignore it, then they have potential of getting into serious poop. Although, I'd like to think that it is the former, rather than the latter.

"You're either incredibly smart, or incredibly stupid" Gene Hackman from Enemy Of The State

r2rX :)

·
Heretic
2,766 Posts
Coolsvilleman said:
... think it would work with like n64 or psx opengl video plugins?
PSX games don't have Z data so probably not. Might be possible for N64 though (and already is via other programs).

Correct me if I'm wrong.

·
Emulation to the max!
2,560 Posts
Vanit said:
PSX games don't have Z data so probably not. Might be possible for N64 though (and already is via other programs).

Correct me if I'm wrong.
Yes I realize that psx dosent have a z buffer (hence the jaggies) but I didn'T know n64 had a similiar thing. It would be interesting to see if it did work with pete'S opengl plugin on psx though. High-quality remake anyone hehehe.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.