Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't see any image quality improvements with PetesOGL2 compared to D3D. As far as I can tell it just makes the resolution lower. There is some loss in the jpeg compression of course but I think it illustrates my point. Am I missing something? or is it that I need a nvidia card that supports very high X to really get OGL2 to shine.

·
Premium Member
21,977 Posts
what settings are you using? you can at least use Very high Y and screen filtering. with D3D you can use AA though.

btw, press F8 to take a screenshot ;)

·
Premium Member
874 Posts
The standard hw/accel plugins (D3D/OGL) can have a more hi-res look (and they can use FSAA with some games), while the OGL2 plugin is more compatible with some games, and it can use fullscreen pixel shaders. Dunno who promised you "image quality improvements" with the OGL2 plugin, well, it's (as always) a matter of taste.

Nevertheless I would recommend an OGL plugin (the standard OGL one or the OGL2 one) with your card, and not one of the D3D ones, since the D3D plugins only use DX6 or DX7 capabilities, so a special shadow ("reverse subtractive blending") effect can be not 100% correctly done with that plugins.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for your replies, didn't know about the F8 thing - its quite handy.

When I was setting up the X and Y resolutions it says 'enhanced display' I didn't ask myself 'enhanced as compared to what?' and assumed it meant it was supposed to somehow be better looking compared to the regular ogl/d3d plugins heheheh, woops.

Well OGL2 definately seems to give me the best compatibility with the funky frambuffer effects, blurs and 2D things but the regular ogl/d3d has those sharp 1024x768 4xFSAA polygons. Always a tradeoff eh?

·
I'm in despair!
3,420 Posts
Whoever said:
When I was setting up the X and Y resolutions it says 'enhanced display' I didn't ask myself 'enhanced as compared to what?' and assumed it meant it was supposed to somehow be better looking compared to the regular ogl/d3d plugins heheheh, woops.
Compared to the original PSX resolution. ;) Copy-paste from the docs:

The "low" settings produce an original PSX alike display, like a soft gpu plugin.
The "high" settings double the resolution, producing a much nicer hires screen.
The "very high" settings are offering the best hires quality, but sorry to say: only the "very high" Y resolution will work with nowadays cards and drivers, the X one will most likely crash or give an error messagebox.Only known exception: GeForceFX cards with the latest drivers (Forceware 5X.XX).
[]s Badaro

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
That quote is a bit off. Geforce 6800 cards do X/Y Max fine. Geforce 4 Ti card should have no trouble either since they both support 4096x4096 textures.

·
PCSX2ベータテスター
1,457 Posts
Pete; Do you plan on using the OpenGL 2.0 standard that was released a little while back for your plugins?

·
Registered
139 Posts
So, if I'm looking for the best graphics, I should use the normal ogl/d3d plugins, and if I'm looking for comptability, I should use the ogl2 plugin, right?

·
Premium Member
21,977 Posts
ChrisRay said:
Geforce 4 Ti card should have no trouble either since they both support 4096x4096 textures.
that's true, but isnt it quite slow? i have a TI4200 but i havent bothered to check it out....

btw, my 5600 does very high X and Y fine, so no worries there.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
hushypushy said:
that's true, but isnt it quite slow? i have a TI4200 but i havent bothered to check it out....

btw, my 5600 does very high X and Y fine, so no worries there.

Honestly couldnt say, It would be very dependent on GPU memory + Fillrate. Espxe isnt that fillrate demanding. So I could see it being done @ 1024x768. But I havent tried it myself. I havent had access to a Ti 4200 since I shipped mine off to Demigod. I imagine 64 meg cards are gonna have the most trouble with this.

·
Premium Member
21,977 Posts
right, Pete himself said that 128 should be the minimum to try Very High Y due to something, cant remember what though. the 128 TI4200 should be fine, but i really dont know. 64 mb on the other hand....i dont think so :p

·
Premium Member
874 Posts
Seta-San said:
Pete; Do you plan on using the OpenGL 2.0 standard that was released a little while back for your plugins?
well, the final OpenGL 2.0 is, sorry to say, no what has been promised months (nearly years) ago. Therefore currently I am waiting for drivers with a special new extension support (which also has been promised from the OpenGL ARB ppl for years now), when (if???) such will finally see the light of day, there will be surely a new OGL2 plugin release as well.

·
Premium Member
26,303 Posts
Do you not wish to work in DX9 then?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts