Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
To keep the threads for the Virtual Jaguar/SDL v1.0.7 to the minimum, I've started the only thread which is related to the Virtual Jaguar/SDL v1.0.7 release:

Virtual Jaguar/SDL v1.0.7 *FINAL* release!
Posted by by Niels Wagenaar at 19:55 CET
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I've decided not to wait on the responses of the public beta and I've optimized the resting OpenGL code and tweaked some items concerning rendering. All these changes are committed to CVS. In short, we now have a stable v1.0.7 sourctree. With other words, Virtual Jaguar/SDL v1.0.7 is available for download. I'll upload the WIN32 binary version of VJ/SDL v1.0.7 somewhere in the next day. Until then people should using there GCC compilers ( Grab the source from here ).

Minimum requirements for compiling are SDL v1.2.7, ZLIB v1.2.1, OpenGL v1.2 and a GCC v3.x compiler. If you find bugs, please post them on the official SDLEMU messageboard!

It's almost a year after the v1.0.6 releases, apart from several CVS builds, and a lot has added and/or enhanced. Here's the complete WHAT'S NEW list as stated from CVS:

Virtual Jaguar v1.0.7 GCC/SDL
-----------------------------

* Various fixes to make for smoother compilation on MacOS. [Adam Green]
* Fixes to filetype parsing. VJ now properly recognizes .abs, .jag, .rom,
and .j64 files--be sure to check the README for the gory details! [Shamus]
* Added a kludge to allow homebrew demos to run without a Stubulator ROM and without crashing the emulator. [Shamus]
* Fixed a blitter intensity addition problem. This fixes the title in Hover Strike and the road/shadows in Checkered Flag. [Shamus]
* Partially fixed a problem with the SUBC opcode in the RISC processors. This allows Hover Strike, Phase Zero and Fight For Life to boot into their title screens and makes them somewhat playable. [Shamus]
* Fixed a horizontal scaling problem in the OP and the off-by-one bug that it reintroduced. This fixes the road in Atari Karts and probably a few others. [Shamus]
* Fixed a long standing blitter bug that kept certain doors in AvP from rendering correctly. [Shamus]
* Fixed some vertical positioning bugs in the OP. Now Checkered Flag, Alien vs Predator and probably others now work as they should (graphically ;-) [Caz]
* Better GUI support. Most options in the GUI work now, and more are expected to be functional in the near future. [Shamus]
* Fixed a few more lingering blitter bugs (there are more to be found). This fixes most of the glitches in Cybermorph and Alien vs Predator. [Shamus]
* Fixed an Object Processor scaled bitmap bug that caused incorrect positioning of scaled bitmaps that started outside the line buffer, and also fixed a problem that caused the OP to hang in certain situations. This fixes Bubsy, International Sensible Soccer, and probably a few others. [Shamus]
* Cleaned up various bits of video rendering related code. [nwagenaar]
* Added support for OpenGL textures with a depth of 16bpp, 24bpp or 32bpp. [nwagenaar]
* Rewrote several OpenGL related rendering code concerning the new OpenGL texture depths and texture sizes. [nwagenaar]
* Rewrote several OpenGL rendering functions concerning speed related items. [nwagenaar]
* Several bugs resolved due to OpenGL and normal rendering code. [nwagenaar]
* Default resolution for OpenGL is now 640x480. [nwagenaar]
All other threads on Virtual Jaguar/SDL v1.0.7 will be closed. Please post your findings, bugs, binary links (ie : precompiled versions for a certain OS) on this new release in this thread.

Grab your downloads from the following locations :

Virtual Jaguar/SDL v1.0.7 sources
Virtual Jaguar/SDL v1.0.7 x86-win32 binary
Virtual Jaguar/SDL v1.0.7 x86-Linux (Gentoo build) binary
Virtual Jaguar/SDL v1.0.7 x86-Linux (Mandrake build) binary

If you have a precompiled binary, please send them to shalafi.nospam AT xs4all DOT nl (remove the .nospam). I will post them on the internet ASAP with the concerning credits :)

Regards,

Niels Wagenaar
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3 Posts
hello, I have an error when compilling on my mandrake 10.1:

src/cdintf.cpp:26: error: expected `}' at end of input
make: *** [obj/cdintf.o] Erreur 1


so I just had a " } " character at the last line of the cdintf.cpp file and the compilation works.

I don't know if it is normal but it's my experience :)

really good job for Virtual Jaguar/SDL ! :bow:

(and really sorry for my english :D)
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
peshane said:
hello, I have an error when compilling on my mandrake 10.1:

src/cdintf.cpp:26: error: expected `}' at end of input
make: *** [obj/cdintf.o] Erreur 1


so I just had a " } " character at the last line of the cdintf.cpp file and the compilation works.

I don't know if it is normal but it's my experience :)

really good job for Virtual Jaguar/SDL ! :bow:

(and really sorry for my english :D)
Hi! I thank you for this information and your support! :thumb: This problem has been fixed and this minor bug was committed to CVS. The new source release will be updated within a few hours.

In short : I "forgot" a } in the cdintf_linux.cpp at the end of function : CDIntfGetTrackInfo(uint32 track, uint32 offset) (at line 216) and this resulted in the compile error. Since I was working JaguarCD emulation on Linux, I didn't saw this error popping up. I'm sorry for this stupid mistake.

If possible, could you e-mail me the Mandrake binary so I can post this on the sdlemu website?

Regards,

Niels Wagenaar

PS : Well, your English is a lot better then when I use Babelfish translation on your website ;) And my English isn't the best also (I'm from the Netherlands)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
30 Posts
hm.. whats this "vj.exe" in the archive? ;)
I build a linux-bin on gentoo (get it here), altough I've no idea if its working on other linux-systems ,)
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
XTale said:
hm.. whats this "vj.exe" in the archive? ;)
I build a linux-bin on gentoo (get it here), altough I've no idea if its working on other linux-systems ,)
Ah crap, I thought that the file looked to big. I think I didn't had enough coffee when I rebuild/created the tar.bz2 tree.

Concerning you're Gentoo Linux x86 build, I've posted this on the main website with full credits to you and the AEP Emulation page website. I thank you very much for this binary! :thumb: I did had to recreate a new tar.bz2 tree because of some missing documents, etc. I hope you don't mind ;)

Regards,

Niels Wagenaar
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
30 Posts
hehe, yes, i just put the pure binary in the file, sorry for that

I hope you tried it out on another linuxPC once before putting on the webpage ;)
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
XTale said:
hehe, yes, i just put the pure binary in the file, sorry for that

I hope you tried it out on another linuxPC once before putting on the webpage ;)
No problem, it took me about 1 minute to make the distribution and upload it to my website. And no, I haven't tested it on any other Linux distro. We only have a Redhat 7.0 system which won't run any GCC 3.x binaries.

Concerning Virtual Jaguar/SDL v1.0.7. I'm a bit curious what you think from this release? Did you had time to tinker with this version (I'm especially interested in the OpenGL in combination with Linux playability) and what are your thoughts about this one?

We do want to make the next version better and we need user input for that :)

Regards,

Niels Wagenaar
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
30 Posts
well - I just gave it a VERY short try - and it wasn't that successfull ,)

- either hide the Video... Audio... Menuitems or add some functionality
- only key working in Atari Karts seemed to be x
- Super Cross 3D just worked till the main menu and gave a black screen after that
--> didn't get that far to really test the OpenGL stuff ;)

maybe I just took the wrong games :p

I'll have a deeper look once I've some free time to spent - bit busy atm
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
XTale said:
well - I just gave it a VERY short try - and it wasn't that successfull ,)

- either hide the Video... Audio... Menuitems or add some functionality
- only key working in Atari Karts seemed to be x
- Super Cross 3D just worked till the main menu and gave a black screen after that
--> didn't get that far to really test the OpenGL stuff ;)

maybe I just took the wrong games :p

I'll have a deeper look once I've some free time to spent - bit busy atm
1. The gui needs work and is not finished. It's definately Work In Progress.
2. Atari Karts only uses one button if I'm correct.
3. Super Cross 3D has been dumped incorrectly ( IE : no good dumps exists) and therefor doesn't work.

Try to play Flashback! It's a Prince of Persia clone set in the future with a great storyline (at least in 1995) and it's one of my fav. Jaguar games together with Alien vs Predator. :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3 Posts
i have tested only 2 games for the moment: atari karts and flashback (and juste a little theme park :D )

vj run pretty good for flashback and, apparently, for theme park too
(without sound of course :nod: ) (flashback is a little too speed :) )

atari karts is really slow on my computer, frameskip 10 or not, it's slow
it is playable but it become a strategy game instead of a mariokart-like :eyespin:

i want to speak about the "user-friendly" of vj
for exemple, i start the emulator with this command : "./vj Flashback.jag"
the gui appear with a error "cannot load", so go to File-Reset and it's ok.
i know that's vj is work in progress so i'm sur that the vj's "user-friendly" will be improve :)

i hope for improved release of Virtual Jaguar soon :)
again: really good job :thumb:

ps: it's really difficult for me to give you my feedback in english so i apologize for this :) i have the feel that i speak like a little children :D
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
peshane said:
i have tested only 2 games for the moment: atari karts and flashback (and juste a little theme park :D )

vj run pretty good for flashback and, apparently, for theme park too
(without sound of course :nod: ) (flashback is a little too speed :) )

atari karts is really slow on my computer, frameskip 10 or not, it's slow
it is playable but it become a strategy game instead of a mariokart-like :eyespin:

i want to speak about the "user-friendly" of vj
for exemple, i start the emulator with this command : "./vj Flashback.jag"
the gui appear with a error "cannot load", so go to File-Reset and it's ok.
i know that's vj is work in progress so i'm sur that the vj's "user-friendly" will be improve :)

i hope for improved release of Virtual Jaguar soon :)
again: really good job :thumb:

ps: it's really difficult for me to give you my feedback in english so i apologize for this :) i have the feel that i speak like a little children :D
There are indeed some gui items which should be resolved and It's now on my todo list.

Concerning Atari Karts, Atari Karts works but is not really playable. There are some CPU/Blitter related bugs which need to be looked at. This also counts for several other games. The Atari Jaguar is a very complex system and we know that our sources has certain bugs in them which produces a non-working game or a non-playable game. Hopefully, we can find these bugs but don't expect miracles ;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
344 Posts
Just to let you guys know, icculus has been updated with the latest information and downloads. Only source and Win32 are up at the moment, but hopefully our Mac guy will post a binary soon. :)

And on a technical note: I'm glad you put frameskip back in, but the way it was rendering (every frame) was correct. It's just slow because we're pushing a ton of pixels around. ;) To see what I mean, load Rayman and bump into an enemy. Normally you would see Rayman flicker but with the way you have it skipping every other frame, he's either solid or disappears! I'll put in a "frameskip" key into the config and update CVS...
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Shamus said:
Just to let you guys know, icculus has been updated with the latest information and downloads. Only source and Win32 are up at the moment, but hopefully our Mac guy will post a binary soon. :)

And on a technical note: I'm glad you put frameskip back in, but the way it was rendering (every frame) was correct. It's just slow because we're pushing a ton of pixels around. ;) To see what I mean, load Rayman and bump into an enemy. Normally you would see Rayman flicker but with the way you have it skipping every other frame, he's either solid or disappears! I'll put in a "frameskip" key into the config and update CVS...
I've send Adam Green a private message and I hope he got it. Hopefully we'll see a MacOS build in the near future :)

Well, according to information from the SDL IRC channel. Dumping every frame into the OpenGL framebuffer could reside into a buffer overflow. The advice was to render every 1 or 2 frames instead of every 0 frames. But then again, a frameskip is a nice thing to have for those who don't have a super system.

BTW, I didn't saw the Rayman thing since my system is to fast to notice (AMD Athlon64 3400+ @ 2.4Ghz with a Radeon X800 Pro and 256MB). But on "slower" systems this would come out faster ;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
344 Posts
peshane said:
i want to speak about the "user-friendly" of vj
for exemple, i start the emulator with this command : "./vj Flashback.jag"
the gui appear with a error "cannot load", so go to File-Reset and it's ok.
The reason that that command didn't work is because your file has an incorrect extension (.jag instead of .j64). All of that is explained in the README (under the section that says READ THIS OR ELSE ;)) and on the official website on this page.

It'll be a bit difficult at first to get people to use the correct extensions (especially when Cowering's Good Tool renames them wrong :(), but if we're persistent, I think we can turn the tide. :thumb:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5 Posts
Great to see another release of VJ, AVP and Tempest 2000 are both running really well and playable with opengl on my system, with no sound:

dual athlon xp 1700+
1G ram
Geforce FX 5900SE

Also, I updated and submited the ebuild along with the small patch for the } to gentoo, and it should be in soon.... -Dan
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
33 Posts
Here's my 2 cents. I run all my emulators in a cabinet. Command line options are important, such as a full screen option (this is in the cfg so that's good), the ability to send a rom and have it start the game automatically and most important, completely remappable keys. Most cabinets only have six or seven buttons plus a player 1 and 2 button and all cabinet friendly emulators exit with the ESC key. Also, no visible menu is extremely important to some people (me included). Well, that's it from me. I REALLY look forward to see what this emulator holds for the future. Keep up the good work.

Thanks,
John
 
1 - 20 of 43 Posts
Top