Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Not a Registered User
1,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Why is there a difference in them?
Like official
FF8 on the PSN comes at 1.55GB but a custom one made with max compression level comes at 2.1GB
I would love to use the official one as ePSXe on android has some problem with loading ebots bigger than 2GB, but the official ones are encrypted and can't be emulated.

Dafuq?

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
not looked into them, but perhaps, they didn't use the 4 cd's but instead combined all the files... so any movies or sounds or anything like that that was common across cd's only have to be in the eboot once

·
Not a Registered User
1,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
They have lossy compression for music and maybe videos. Whereas custom eboots use lossless compression.
Well this is an old thread, do you have any proof of that? Cause going from 2.1GB to 1.5GB would be a huge loss in quality and i never noticed any quality change when playing the official eboots either on my PSP or PS3 when comparing to originals.
I think dpence is on the money on this one, on most games with multiple disc a lot of data tends to repeat itself, so it does make sense to cut it down and have 1 file rather than 4 duplicates of said file.
Of course this can't be done on a custom eboot as such operation would've to be done per game to check if it works and the file structure didn't get damaged.

My only wish is that ePSXe devs would fix the android version to support eboots that are over 2GB in size, the windows version has no issues with that.

·
346 Posts
Well this is an old thread, do you have any proof of that?
PBP (PSP Format for PS1 Images)
  • Archive-quality dump? No
  • Gain: Immediate (ISO size decreases a lot). Official format used by Sony for PS1 dumps on PSP.
  • Tools Used: PSX2PSP. Generates an EBOOT.PBP file.
  • Can be reverted? Yes. Using the same tool, to generate BIN+CUE files. There's data loss, although it's negligible in terms of functionality.
  • Playable on Hardware? On PSP, not on PS1.
  • Playable on Emulators? RetroArch, PCSX-R, and ePSXe.

CHD Compression
  • Archive-quality dump? Yes
  • Gain: Immediate
  • Tools Used: chdman (included with MAME)
  • Can be reverted? Yes, using extractcd (included with MAME)
  • Playable on Hardware? No.
  • Playable on Emulators? Only MAME and DEmul. Some libretro cores for other emulators started adding support.
MAME uses the CHD format for disc images in general and includes tools to convert from and to it. It uses 7zip's LZMA compression on the game data and lossless FLAC compression for the audio data to optimize compression even further than with the BIN+CUE+MP3/WAV data separation alone.

Placing chdman and extractcd in the same directory as dumps in BIN+CUE format, the following command-line instructions can be used:
  • BIN/CUE to CHD: for %i in (*.cue) do chdman createcd -i "%i" -o "%~ni.chd" (Windows)
  • CHD to BIN/CUE: for %i in (*.chd) do chdman extractcd -i "%i" -o "%~ni.cue" (Windows)
If you have one of the European PSX games that feature LibCrypt copy protection, you have a .sbi file in addition to the .bin/cue file. The CHD creation process doesn't process the .sbi file. Thus, you will need the .sbi file in the same directory as the.CHD file for the game to run.

Source: Save Disk Space for ISOs
More CHD info: PBP Vs CHD for Mednafen-Beetle PSX: Opinions?

P.S: If CHD used TAK instead of FLAC, it would be perfect.

·
Not a Registered User
1,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
PBP (PSP Format for PS1 Images)
  • Archive-quality dump? No
  • Gain: Immediate (ISO size decreases a lot). Official format used by Sony for PS1 dumps on PSP.
  • Tools Used: PSX2PSP. Generates an EBOOT.PBP file.
  • Can be reverted? Yes. Using the same tool, to generate BIN+CUE files. There's data loss, although it's negligible in terms of functionality.
  • Playable on Hardware? On PSP, not on PS1.
  • Playable on Emulators? RetroArch, PCSX-R, and ePSXe.

CHD Compression
  • Archive-quality dump? Yes
  • Gain: Immediate
  • Tools Used: chdman (included with MAME)
  • Can be reverted? Yes, using extractcd (included with MAME)
  • Playable on Hardware? No.
  • Playable on Emulators? Only MAME and DEmul. Some libretro cores for other emulators started adding support.
MAME uses the CHD format for disc images in general and includes tools to convert from and to it. It uses 7zip's LZMA compression on the game data and lossless FLAC compression for the audio data to optimize compression even further than with the BIN+CUE+MP3/WAV data separation alone.

Placing chdman and extractcd in the same directory as dumps in BIN+CUE format, the following command-line instructions can be used:
  • BIN/CUE to CHD: for %i in (*.cue) do chdman createcd -i "%i" -o "%~ni.chd" (Windows)
  • CHD to BIN/CUE: for %i in (*.chd) do chdman extractcd -i "%i" -o "%~ni.cue" (Windows)
If you have one of the European PSX games that feature LibCrypt copy protection, you have a .sbi file in addition to the .bin/cue file. The CHD creation process doesn't process the .sbi file. Thus, you will need the .sbi file in the same directory as the.CHD file for the game to run.

Source: Save Disk Space for ISOs
More CHD info: PBP Vs CHD for Mednafen-Beetle PSX: Opinions?

P.S: If CHD used TAK instead of FLAC, it would be perfect.
That failed to answer the question, do pbp compression lowers the quality of videos and music irreversibly? So far no proof of that.
Also would the use of FLAC or TAK make a difference difference? Seeing as a lot of PS1 games use non standard files, like XA instead of mp3 or wav.

I won't argue for archive purposes pbp fails but functionally is perfectly fine, I have my entire collection in pbp with no issues.

·
346 Posts
For me it is very clear... has losses in cyclic redundancy, the format does not have a value for file preservation. Sacrifice some "metadata" and error sectors.
But yes, the functionality is the same.

I don't see solid proofs of audio / video compression, only many speculations. The only apparent way to get a solid proof is by trying oneself. Any FF8 disk for FMV and Twisted Metal for WAV...

Also would the use of FLAC or TAK make a difference difference?.
For WAV, absolutely. For XA and other sounds ...unlikely.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts