Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've seen a couple threads about this issue, but none seem to be actually resolved (or any resolutions that have helped me).

I have 2 gigs of memory, a 9600gt, and amd dual core 2.6 ghz using pcsx2 0.9.6. After tampering with different combinations of drivers, i was able to get a lot of the lag to go away (it has a wierd lag where the fps seems low, and voices and sounds are slowed, but the fps is actually at 40-60), but the lag is still too terrible to actually play this game. Anyone have any ideas? If u need more information I can try to supply it.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
I found the speed hacks you were talking about, but it seems like its still having really bad syncing issues with sound, and a bit of lag once in a while (not as bad though with all these hacks turned on). Reading some reviews on it I've discovered that there's a bit of lag with controls to begin with, along with some other unintuitive design decisions. I may just give up on it since this emulator lag and bad sound syncing combined with not-so-good game design are making it unplayable.

As to the cpu comment, I think I'd rather just buy the 20$ game than get a new 300$ cpu (since this cpu is running sims 3, spores, left 4 dead, and wrath of the lich king just fine).

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
As to the emulator lags comment, odin sphere works flawless here. Athlonx2's are bad for pcsx2.
As for the buying the game comment, well, i guess you missed the point.
You're supposed to own the games you're trying to play.
Now please don't come with the "But why would i need an emulator then" reply. Thanks.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
How do you know I'm not renting it from gamefly (which I am)? I like how the responses immediately jump to piracy-finger-pointing and snide comments. Also, I'm not having a problem like this in any of my other games, including FF-X (yes, i own it), so I really think it has to do with something other than my processor, since FF-X HAS to be more processor extensive than a 2D game.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The rendering of 3D environments, multiple high textured models, and 3d special effects compared to rendering flat images would strike me as one reason. From my game modding experiences with 3D engines I remember games using 2d sprite particle systems that allowed for less of a load on the processor and memory. I've also never seen a flat image take up as much space as a 3d model (not even including its required textures).

You said it runs fine on your system, it'd be nice to know which plugins you're using for video and sound, the version of the emulator you're using, and screen shots of your preferences for those plugins.

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Well, odin sphere uses the VUs for some light effects processing, so by just using them its as demanding as any other 3d game.
It achieves its look by using a ton of textures though, which it send all around the ps2.
So what you have here is the base costs of a 3D game + the texture moving.
You'll want to lessen the load on the gs plugin..

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Could you please post:
1.Which plugins you're using for video and sound
2.The version of the emulator you're using
3.Screen shots of your preferences for those plugins (or a written format of the exact settings you use)

It will help me get a better idea of the situation if those settings are working for you (please make sure those settings are working correctly for Odin Sphere). Thanks

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Default everything, with the latest pcsx2 and GSdx svn usually.
I won't get into the settings, we picked good defaults for that reason.
You may want to try lowering the GSdx internal resolution though. Or just go with native.

·
troubleshooter
8,978 Posts
Could you please post:
1.Which plugins you're using for video and sound
2.The version of the emulator you're using
3.Screen shots of your preferences for those plugins (or a written format of the exact settings you use)

It will help me get a better idea of the situation if those settings are working for you (please make sure those settings are working correctly for Odin Sphere). Thanks
Video: GSdx
Audio:SPU2x
PAd: LILypad
CD/dvd: linuz ISO
rest all null plugins.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ya its just not working out for me on the AMD. Persona 4 runs like crap as well. I think you're right in that the emulator is not programmed in a way that allows it to be effectively versatile across both of the 2 major processors, only intel. While the emulator is running, ctrl+alt+del performance monitor shows that the processor is only working at 60% at the most during game play, the emulator says its using 30-80% (fluctuates) of processor power, and i get a very steady 40-50 fps (70-80%) in most situations (loading screens and some extremely small areas like the velvet room are the only things that don't lag in persona 4).

Is there any hope of this emulator getting stronger support for AMD in the near future? Is there anything that I, as a AMD user, can contribute to help this happen (logs, etc)? I've been with AMD for 10+ years with no processor specific problems like this with games before.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Which version, and is it KOSMOS or the earlier ones? Also, what settings did you use for it? Both KOSMOS 0.97.1 and ZeroGS 0.97.1 seem to be worse for me (but I've not set any of the hexadecimal settings up), including graphical errors (sprites hiding behind others that shouldn't be).

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.