Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
pSX Troubleshooter/Fanboy
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I started out by downloading the latest unofficial compiled version (2276). Figured I'd give it a run with Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance (just to see how playable it may be). Nevermind the fact that start-up resulted in a black screen running at 60 fps.

At that point, I figured I'd play with the settings a bit to see what could be done. Nothing was working or doing anything whatsoever (no error messages this whole time, I'd like to add). Then I noticed something really odd. None of my settings were saving. The only settings that would save at all were the controller settings for the nJoy plugin. For the plugins that have it, I wasn't even given access to the Apply button (there, but stayed grayed out no matter what I changed).

So I started running through the normal checks. Made sure nothing was read-only, checked that my account had full access in the security settings (I'm an administrator), turned off BitDefender 2009's real-time protection (just in case)... nothing seems to affect it.

Next thing I figured I'd try adjusting the settings manually in the INI file. That's when I realized that Dolphin hadn't even bothered to create a Dolphin.ini file (ran a search of the whole folder), and didn't even create a Config folder in the User folder.

So currently, I'm at a loss. Nothing else on my computer has this problem, and considering one of the plugins was able to save its settings, it most likely isn't my computer or anything running on it (BitDefender is the only thing I have that could possibly prevent something from working properly). I did try other versions, btw, just in case it was somehow a problem with one of the latest versions. Also possibly worth noting... I tried both versions of the program, just in case it was just a problem with one of them.

Specs are as follows:
- DirectX: Updated to latest version this morning (was already up-to-date)
- CPU: Intel Pentium Dual-Core E2200 @ 2.20 GHz
- RAM: 3 GB DDR2 PC2-5300
- Graphics: ATI Radeon HD 3450 (512 MB) PCI-E
- Sound: Realtek HD (ALC888S) onboard sound

·
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
So... are you saying that I need to try more than just a couple different versions in the hope that one of them finally works? Note that I didn't just go back and try the version before current... I tried one about a half dozen revisions ago (can't recall it, as I deleted it, but it was one that I saw many people give positive feedback for).

While it seems unlikely, is it possible that maybe I should try somebody else's compiled binaries? I wouldn't imagine it should matter, since people should be using the same environment to compile it. I'll try using some other people's binaries though (just in case), as well as some older revisions.

Do you have any possible solutions or advice in case this problem isn't solved by the above actions?

Edit: Alright! I tried a different person's binaries (much older version too), and everything saved quite well. Fire Emblem actually started up and played too (played a couple chapters of the prologue). Very nice too... ran at full speed pretty much the whole time, though half the chapter events were just white screens and I noticed immediately that there are literally holes in the dialogue and the portraits next to them... :D

Overall though, I'm quite impressed with how well it runs, and I can only imagine that things have probably gotten a little better since that old version I'm using.

Edit 2: I'd just like to add... once I pasted the whole Config folder from that 1713 build I got working into the proper place for the 2276 build, the emulator suddenly seemed capable of saving configuration changes. And even when I set it to use the OpenGL plugin (because there is no DX9 plugin in the latest revision, unfortunately), it seemed to save that change too (and all the changes I made to the OpenGL plugin settings).

So I'm assuming that the problem was simply that, since it couldn't find the Config folder, it wouldn't save the settings. The only reason I say that is because, after pasting that folder in its proper place, it suddenly became capable of creating an OpenGL INI file (in 1713, I had only configured the DX9 plugin). So to anybody else having this problem, you now know the solution.

·
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, using Daco's 2276 binary seemed to work perfectly fine (though his compile came with a Config folder and the DX9 plugin, unlike omegadox's binary). I may consider compiling them myself though, since I am capable and like having the latest version.

The OpenGL plugin works quite nice, btw... all the graphical problems I had with the DX9 plugin were solved by using the OpenGL plugin (though the opening screens aren't visible, which isn't a big deal since it's rather simple to just push Start through all of them until the game save selection screen is reached).

I'd like to again say how much I appreciate the work everybody has put into this emulator. In a relatively short time, this emulator has really shined on the fact of just how possible GC/Wii emulation is.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts