Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alrighty Ive got a 9600 basic 4x agp card
and I found this software called radlink; a fairly easy to use Overclocking utility for ati cards.
Now my question is how safe is it to OC my cards gpu and memory and if anyone knows just how far I could push this card without hurting it or needing to put a fan on it.

Thanx

BTW Ive searched for this info and havent had much luck

·
band
4,912 Posts
careful on using AtiTool's automem overclocking...ive heard some horror stories about that thing killing cards. then again this was a while ago so it may have changed.

·
Banned
9,111 Posts
D.D. said:
careful on using AtiTool's automem overclocking...ive heard some horror stories about that thing killing cards. then again this was a while ago so it may have changed.
nope it's still going too far

·
Computer Nerd
162 Posts
i would suggest you get some better cooling on ur card first. then use a Tool called Riva Turner to Oc it. it works for ATi cards too.

·
Registered
7,330 Posts
I use RadLinker.. so much quicker, just OC and set, no testing or anything like that. :p Also, it sets clock rates at startup without being memory resident.

How far you can go really is dependent on each board. What specific brand 9600 do you have? Some manufacturers use faster/slower RAM than suggested by ATi and that changes the amount of OC you can get on your RAM.

·
Registered
6,964 Posts
Ok, well ATi Tool is pretty ghey. I tried using it the other day and my video card started doing funky things. I'm going to try this RadLinker now.:)

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
holycrap cooliscool are you saying that you oc'd that thing from 324 to 580?
thats crazy
do you have any extra fans on it or anything

oh yeah and is that a 9600 plain not le or pro
because mine is just a regular old 9600 agp 4x

and its Ati brand

·
Registered
7,330 Posts
I have a 9600XT, default 500MHz core. ;) 500 to 580 with no problems.. yeah, I have tons of fans and a Zalman heatpipe GPU cooler + OCZ BGA Ramsinks.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
alright well I ran atitool for a bit and it got me to like 332(hooray!) so I said screw that and now Im fooling with just doing it manually and testing myself, havent seen artifacts yet and Ive pushed it to 400. Im sorta afraid to leave it at that though I dont want to burn anything up

·
Registered
4 Posts
My TNT2 M64 was kill by OC software ago. :angry:

Anyway, oc video card is a very dangerous task. Take care everything after trying.

·
Premium Member
6,341 Posts
I let ATiTool automatically overclock my 9500 Pro and it took the memory up to 330 (660 effective) MHz before it got severe artifacts and I let it overclock the core to 362 MHz before I stopped it myself :p. The only modification I did to the cooling during that time was adding Ceramique paste; no aftermarket heatsink (yet :p) and no RAM heatsinks. I also feel that ATiTool goes a little too far but that probably could be fixed by raising the rate that each sucessive torture test length increases and by lowering the speed at which it increases the clock rate. I did that and it took it a long time to hit 362 on the core.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
well as an update I have a big arse fan on it umm about 6 inches diagonally lol
its as loud as a freaking jet engine, but just for testing purposes It is very effective, might post some pics later,

BTW the fan is 12 volts at .5 amps lol

1 - 16 of 16 Posts