Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 20 of 106 Posts

·
The Hunter
15,879 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fudzilla - Nvidia's Geforce GTS 250 marketing plan

What's worse than rebranding?

Tomorrow, on the opening day of CeBIT 2009, Nvidia will formalize the name change of its Geforce 9800GTX+ performance segment card to become Geforce GTS 250 in order to integrate this GPU with its new product naming scheme.

What has just been revealed, however, is the company's strategic marketing plan to revitalize the flow of consumerism in its performance segment. The fact is, a major portion of Nvidia's success in such a situation lies with the objectivity of its product reviewers. Positive reviews will go a long way in influencing the general consensus of public opinion, and therefore the company has decided to "improve," or should we say manipulate its assets.

According to Hardware.fr, the following information details Nvidia's guidelines to boards partners regarding the GTS 250 launch:

March 3rd – Reviews go live of GTS 250 1GB fast boards (738/1100)

March 10th – GTS 250 1GB and 512MB fast boards (738/1100) available for sale.

March 17th – GTS 250 1GB slow boards (738/1000) available for sale.

NOTE: The older slow 1GB (1000MHz memory) boards should not go on sale till after March 17th. The only exceptions are if partners can overclock the memory on these to hit 1100MHz.

Simply put, Nvidia is sending out higher clocked GTS 250 cards to reviewers within the first week of launch, and is then sending out slower GTS 250 cards for the majority of sales from retailers like Newegg, NCIX, Micro Center, and other distributors.

Nvidia is suggesting that its board partners hide the existence of these higher clocked review cards by branding them as "overclocked" models to avoid market confusion. The note suggests that should partners wish to sell the slower cards with 1.0ns DDR3 modules (rated up to 1000MHz) prior to March 17th, the chips must be overclocked to at least 1100MHz, or the speed of the 0.8ns modules.

Moreover, it seems as if the company is concerned about its slower 9800GTX+ stock being rebranded to meet the specifications of the GTS 250. It needs to ensure it can fit cards with both fast and slow memory chips under one product name.
One dirty trick after another, I suppose it's showing rather well how much it feels ATi's quality reflecting in sales.

·
From Love and Limerence
6,574 Posts
Yeah, I heard of this on Xtreme Systems. nVidia's really ticking me off with this. I'm starting to favor the eventual Radeon HD58x0 over the eventual GeForce GTX3x0 now (usually, if the choice is close, I'd choose nVidia).

·
ヒット激しく速く
19,429 Posts
I'm verry disapointed in Nvidia, even though i'm ATI friendly, i dont like where this is going it seems that the videocard war is leaning to much towards ati if they continue like this they will be in serious trouble, i wouldnt want a single brand on the market, i like the competition they had which brought us both ATI & Nvidia quality products...

·
From Love and Limerence
6,574 Posts
nVidia isn't anywhere near being in financial trouble that bad. It's actually ATi (well, AMD) that is more so. In that regard, you could say this may help restore balance a little.

·
Opensource-spice
1,503 Posts
I'm a budget gamer and ATI's hardware is normally cheaper; not to mention that Sapphire is an amazing company and they have quality products.

I won't be buying another video card until I can buy something double the power of what I have for less than $200. Which probably means I won't be buying another for another year or two.

·
The Hunter
15,879 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm verry disapointed in Nvidia, even though i'm ATI friendly, i dont like where this is going it seems that the videocard war is leaning to much towards ati if they continue like this they will be in serious trouble, i wouldnt want a single brand on the market, i like the competition they had which brought us both ATI & Nvidia quality products...
With so many hardcore nVidiots who simply scream "GEFORCE GEFORCE FTW!!" I doubt that'll happen. There's still this lovely logo at over half the games saying it plays best on nVidia, so unless ATi starts doing decent marketing it won't happen anytime soon.

nVidia isn't anywhere near being in financial trouble that bad. It's actually ATi (well, AMD) that is more so. In that regard, you could say this may help restore balance a little.
Someone didn't notice nVidia's last results and stock values? :p AMD has seen better days yes, but I think ATi is more than making up for it. The production costs of their GPUs is much lower this time than nVidia's, hence why we're paying these lovely prices for this generation of cards. If it were up to nVidia you'd have paid €600 for the GTX280, now it simply wasn't possible due to the 4870 sneaking in like a trojan horse. Not having taken that into account, nVidia took quite some blows, and even though consumers don't notice it, nVidia does.

And indeed, it's good seeing things balance out for a change. nVidia is simply forced to make new products now, I doubt they'll rebrand their 8800 cards a 4th time... :rolleyes:

·
band
4,912 Posts
LOL. AMD and decent marketing don't usual appear in the same sentence. Now that ATi is part of AMD ... all I have to say is good luck with that.

·
Hackin 'n Slashin
28,630 Posts
I love my GTX260...but my love for nVidia is diminishing day by day...at this rate this will be my last nVidia card....

It seems as if both manufacturers have hit a performance wall though...either that or they are waiting for DX11 and Windows 7....

·
ヒット激しく速く
19,429 Posts
I didnt said Nvidia is going to fall tomorow :lol:
I just said that if they dont get there act togheter eventually there going to pay. Also i meant that i dont like the direction where this is going, if (only an "if" i'm not saying this is going to happen for sure or partially or whatever :lol: ) they dont start making new products it would eventually lead to a tehnological stop in a way cause if there isnt competition, i dont think the manufactures will try there best for breakthroughts at least thats my opinion :p .

·
The Hunter
15,879 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
LOL. AMD and decent marketing don't usual appear in the same sentence. Now that ATi is part of AMD ... all I have to say is good luck with that.
True, though they're doing well on the contracts with vendors nowadays, and they decide for a large market what's supplied as well, think of HP and the likes, and also not unimportant: the laptop market. nVidia had a nice fiasco there as well lately, and ATi is putting on the pressure there as well.

But well, for selling seperate desktop cards, nothing beats nVidia's marketing, it's still mainly their cards you see especially in normal stores. Their brand recognition amongst newbs is simply much higher. Kinda like the Pentium vs Athlon XP/64 era.

I love my GTX260...but my love for nVidia is diminishing day by day...at this rate this will be my last nVidia card....

It seems as if both manufacturers have hit a performance wall though...either that or they are waiting for DX11 and Windows 7....
Not really, AMD simply supplies what the market asks for. If you want more performance you can put in a second card or an X2. They stepped away from the huge monster card strategy, hence why it seems things have come to a stall. Don't be surprised if they pull another nice trick with the upcoming refresh as well. There's quite a few inside rumours being leaked to the net, but they're keeping up the smokescreen rather well.

Rumours about a new single card outperforming the 4870 by a nice margin:
more shaders (9XX vs 800, maybe more who knows), much higher clockspeeds (750Mhz core vs 900+). It'll be an interesting refresh that will certainly put even more pressure on nVidia.

On the other hand, when it comes to PC parts I'm as loyal as a $40,- hooker. Whoever offers the best bang for my bucks at a given moment will have my temporal loyalty. I've said it before, if you're too brand loyal you'll simply end up with an inferior PC.

·
Heroes Might& Magic Champ
4,713 Posts
This is pure unmitigated genius on Nvidia's part.

Finally nvidia is getting it right. They've seen the genius of the american car companies.

Make a couple cosmetic changes to you product then remarket the old product as new...

act bewildered as you watch your consumer base erode because you fall behind the competition...

then beg at the trough for some of the trillion dollar bailout money...

·
Registered
443 Posts
This is pure unmitigated genius on Nvidia's part.

Finally nvidia is getting it right. They've seen the genius of the american car companies.

Make a couple cosmetic changes to you product then remarket the old product as new...

act bewildered as you watch your consumer base erode because you fall behind the competition...

then beg at the trough for some of the trillion dollar bailout money...
:lol:

·
Banned
1,761 Posts
They haven't.

DX11 is just a marketing scam.

Its all about the money Schumi, not performance.

·
Banned
23,263 Posts
Nvidia are getting away with this because there isn't that much design difference between the 260/280 and the Geforce 8 series in terms of function support.

It looks like they are waiting for Dx11 after all with the GTX3xx series though.

·
From Love and Limerence
6,574 Posts
DirectX 11 won't even be that big. I remember reading a quote were some woman from Microsoft said something along the lines where DirectX 10 parts will still work the same with DirectX 11 as DirectX 11 parts will, or something that that effect. Obviously there will be differences, but I wish I had the quote or article that described it.

·
Banned
23,263 Posts
Well duh, thats how most of DirectX is.

Add some new functions and brand it a new version.

·
The Hunter
15,879 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I'd still like to see DX10 offering something DX9 can't other than the soft particles.

*Cid braces himself for a lecture by mudlord saying it's perfectly possible in DX8 but devvers are just sloppy*

DX11 brings some nice new features, can't wait to see tesselation pop in and being used in creative ways, there's plenty of other stuff as well, but unfortunately it takes a long time before developers adopt it.

And it's definitely true they're holding back their cards for the new batch, it's a new round, so new chances for both teams. I do wonder what nVidia is up to. It's kinda hard to see if they're going the same way ATi went, or stick with their uber-card method. It's not a decision made easily that can be changed in just a year time. The "documentary" by Anandtech gives a nice insight on what made ATi come to this decision.

·
Hackin 'n Slashin
28,630 Posts
There needs to be someone producing a monster of a card otherwise they lose their measuring stick for subsequent cards.

·
From Love and Limerence
6,574 Posts
Well duh, thats how most of DirectX is.

Add some new functions and brand it a new version.
Yes, but what I mean is that a DirectX 10 card will do everything in DirectX 11 that a DirectX 11 card will, or so the quote and article suggested. This was not so, with for example, DirectX 8 cards for DirectX 9.

·
Site Owner
14,909 Posts
Hey guess what every one? I have a GTX 245!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The first one out!!

1 - 20 of 106 Posts