Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Ya'ver drink Brazilian bold from fkn dunkn donuts!
7,825 Posts
Friends, I've just ordered the nvidia shield (2017) as a 4K HDR streaming device for my projector. I have a general understanding of how things work, but I remember seeing some of you comment about it over time and was hoping to get your thoughts on it.

My hopes are to be using it primarily as a better version of a chromecast (mainly skirting audio limitations) and to enable streaming of games over my network to my projector from my workstation, preferably connecting my xbox one pad instead of the shield controller (really not interested in another peripheral in the house)

I'm looking forward to any of your thoughts or experiences on the matter.

·
Crazy GFX coder
16,834 Posts
I am one of the members who own a Shield TV here and posted tons of content a while ago.

First of all the Shield TV by default only supports up to 1080p eventhough it says 4K. What it does is upscale the image to that resolution. There is a way to override that and have true 4k resolution and while it works it can lag now and then. The good news is that is a stunning device for 4k media as well as other media in general. It also have the ability to upscale stereo sound to 5.1 and it does a really good job at that.

Second it doesn't come with a web browser but is relatively easy to get things working and I can help you to get it ready if needed. You can also watch some youtube videos which are very helpful. Geforce Now is also free of charge right now and if you check my channel you can see that it works great but I have no idea how it is in your area.

Third you don't have the full playstore and apps and the main menu is limited to certain applications and group. There is obviously a way to overcome that limitation and create some extra apks for those installed applications without having to sideload anything and obviously use them in the main menus.

Here is a video I made a while ago while streaming some games. Feel free to ask if you need further help.

·
Pilgrim
9,687 Posts
Great purchase Snicko.
I have a lot of praises for the device.
There are a lot of emulators guides on youtube plus you can use Plex as a server and as a client to stream shows and movies to and from other places.

Let us know if you need any help setting things up.

You are in luck 'cause Nvidia fixed some color space issues it had on some displays. I have the 2015 version (they are basically the same SoC, just a different gamepad) and Nvidia is still updating them.

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/shield/software-update/

If you need more space you can get one adapter like this and an SSD and still have great performance.

·
Ya'ver drink Brazilian bold from fkn dunkn donuts!
7,825 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks fellas, I deeply appreciate it.

Streaming to the shield is new to me, I've always run games/movies locally and I'm ready to do some casting with my phone and over my network, I know my PC should be plenty capable (6800k weakest link, but it's enough, 1080ti, 32gb DDR2400) to stream, I'm just a tad nervous since I said "fuck it" when I bought it.

Since this is going to my projector, it claims to have HDR support and 4k capabilities for projection (2x0.47 TI chips which is peculiar for projection) but not really sure how adequate it will be in the end.

I'm pretty excited to see how it goes.

·
Classic Games Lover
5,274 Posts
I'm about to purchase the shield tablet as well, to replace my Nexus 7 which we're giving to my in-laws.

·
&-)---|--<
8,586 Posts
One of the best purchases I made in April 2015. ;) Recently, I've noticed a massive improvement in Gamecube emulation with dev builds of Dolphin on it. I've been playing Resident Evil 1 (Remake) on it running full speed at 1080p resolution natively on the device.

I'm also streaming some CEMU emulation from my main PC and it works awesome.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts