Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Pcsx2 Lover
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys!

I have earned quite a good profit in selling mobile phones.
Now I have a lot of pocket money.
So I decided to buy a new gfx card having 512mb of memory.
So please help me choosing a best gfx card Nvidia or ATI.

P4 2.0ghz
512mb Ram
Inno3d Geforce 4mx 128mb
40gb HDD
Samsung 17" Monitor
Directx 9.0c

·
Premium Member
6,341 Posts
According to Newegg, there's only two cards that are AGP and have 512 MB memory, one being a workstation-level card (not appropriate for gaming), and the other a GeForce 6200 with a 64 bit memory bus. If you want a good AGP video card with 256 MB of memory, look at either the GeForce 6800 GT or Radeon X800XL (or higher).

·
Registered
7,836 Posts
Yeah, anyways 512mb is overkill. Not needed at all for nowaday's games, and won't be more than a small bonus before games use 1024x1024/2048x2048 textures only. And when it will happen, you'll see cards like GeForce 12, and Radeon XY series (making a 7800GTX 512mb look useless)

If you have lots of cash, go for a 6800GT/Ultra 256mb, or an X850 card

·
-PM to advertise here-
8,262 Posts
Ah, this typical Pakistani concept where the graphics card's performance is judged SOLELY on how much VRAM its got........that's sooooooo __________

Anyways, state your budget. I wanna know how much is a "lot of" for ya. I think you know well that the 7800GTX costs 38000Rs and that's A LOT. I say, even 128MB is quite enough as long as you get a "cheetah" card ;)

·
Pcsx2 Lover
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Which one is more suitable for next 5 years gaming?

·
Pcsx2 Lover
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes you are right.But i want to buy a card like inn3d geforce 7800gt or msi etc.

·
Premium Member
8,586 Posts
Looking at your current PC specs, I stay with the mid/low end video cards. Anything higher will be severely bottlenecked by your current system. A 6600gt would do fine for you.

I'd really think about upgrading your CPU/motherboard and ram first though or do it all together.

·
-PM to advertise here-
8,262 Posts
Well Xeon, that's no way to reply posts on the forums. Its better if you don't double or tripple post. If you want to reply to multiple posts, use the quote feature.

Secondly, suitable for next 5 years of gaming!? lol. PS3 or XBOX360. heh.
Seriously, I don't think any graphic card can last that long. But first of all, budget to do apna!!! erh...I mean, post your budget! Everything depends on that.

The 38000Rs I said was for an Inno3d GF7800GTX

·
Registered
210 Posts
I think getting a 7800GT is not a bad idea, I might consider doing that sometime late next year. 6800GTs are pretty good, there's a lot of "overclockability" in them, I myself have one and it can run absolutely every game at abover average speeds in above average settings. Except in battlefield 2 but that game is so buggy it pisses me off sometimes...

·
NextGenerationGaymulation
2,775 Posts
The 6600 is probably going to cause trouble in the AGP port, at least it has done to everyone I know who bought it for AGP.

·
Pcsx2 Lover
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Oh!

Oh my God!
I Only have 20000/-Rs in my pocket.
What should I do?

·
-PM to advertise here-
8,262 Posts
20,000 is roughly 325 US$
However, online ordering is not a possiblity. I think they have some kind of ban here. Secondly, the cards are relatively more expensive here.

The cheapest 6600GT I found was 200 US$.

Xeon, you can try to get a 6800NU ....... and do some pipeline unlocking in it.
If you can then get this: Inno3D GeForce 6800 Premium Edition
It comes with a custom Cooler Master Coolviva Thermal Pipe cooling system which is suitable for overclocking purposes. It costs 20,000Rs in Karachi (or may be less, the new pricelist was published after Eid).

Or if you wanna keep things simple, nice tidy and future safe...then get an Asus Geforce 6600GT. It comes with 3 years warranty in Pakistan. Costs about 16000Rs. You can spend the remaining amount on more RAM.

·
Mr. Stupendous
1,138 Posts
ceramiclion said:
I think getting a 7800GT is not a bad idea, I might consider doing that sometime late next year. 6800GTs are pretty good, there's a lot of "overclockability" in them, I myself have one and it can run absolutely every game at abover average speeds in above average settings. Except in battlefield 2 but that game is so buggy it pisses me off sometimes...

i think it is, concidering his pc has an agp slot, unless that gf4mx is a pci card.

·
Windows 8 Pro
1,148 Posts
Xeon_2006 said:
Which one is more suitable for next 5 years gaming?
FIVE YEARS?! Yeeeeeah. No, you can't think that far ahead. Do you know what videocards were like in 2000? Would you want to even try any game made today with one? Good luck running Doom3 on a TNT.

Videocards typically have a 6-9 month product cycle. One cycle will be a brand new card cycle, the next a refresh with faster clock speeds and some extra function. Then the cycle repeats. In five years you can easily expect to buy 3 cards.

·
Pcsx2 Lover
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks for advise

Thaks!
I realy apreciate your help guys!

·
Registered
210 Posts
S.SubZero said:
FIVE YEARS?! Yeeeeeah. No, you can't think that far ahead. Do you know what videocards were like in 2000? Would you want to even try any game made today with one? Good luck running Doom3 on a TNT.

Videocards typically have a 6-9 month product cycle. One cycle will be a brand new card cycle, the next a refresh with faster clock speeds and some extra function. Then the cycle repeats. In five years you can easily expect to buy 3 cards.

Well you can stick around with one for about 2 years if you are stubborn.

I don't know of anyone who changes cards every 6 months, maybe that's for like show offs or something.

·
Ocean Soul
1,420 Posts
I don't know why you need to have all the settings up the full way all the time, deal with lower settings for while (call this the saving up time) and wait a bit and then buy a new card. with my radeon 9700 I got it around the time it came out, and I was playing half life 2 at almost full settings, doom I have to lower a lot of stuff because Radeon cards aren't good at rendering black, ha ha...really you can make a card last.

·
-PM to advertise here-
8,262 Posts
Aided Onslaught said:
I don't know why you need to have all the settings up the full way all the time, deal with lower settings for while (call this the saving up time) and wait a bit and then buy a new card. with my radeon 9700 I got it around the time it came out, and I was playing half life 2 at almost full settings, doom I have to lower a lot of stuff because Radeon cards aren't good at rendering black, ha ha...really you can make a card last.
Yeah, you can make a card last. I changed my TNT2 last year. :lol:
I had jumped to the console bandwagon. And its gonna happen again. I'll be getting a next gen console and my 6600GT will last till 2009. lol.

However, since last year I have got some 4-5 cards replaced. TNT2 for FX5200 for 9600Pro for 6600 for 6600GT. The GT will hold though (I hope).

1 - 20 of 53 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.