Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5,810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Apperently nvidia is fooling us again to make us believe it performs better then it actually should, they're doing it by tweaking down AF. I was so pissed when i read this that i asked a friend to bring his computer to my home, i have a 6800GT he has a x800 XL, and with NO AF his HL2 looked WAY better then mine. It wasnt very noticible with both at 16xAF but you can still notice something.

Source: http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=25807

Im still trying to get that tweak that puts AF the way it should be.

Another link about it: http://www.3dcenter.org/artikel/g70_flimmern/index2_e.php

·
Canadian Spaceman
8,906 Posts
I didnt think much of it coming from theinquirer but with the other site it really dosent surprise me. IMO just another move to try and push ATi farther back.

·
Registered
5,810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Raziel said:
Duh, this isn't an optimisation, it's a bug, nvidia is currently fixing it in its beta drivers, ask ChrisRay...
A convinient bug huh? Seeing as it boosted every benchmark around and fooled everyone. I mean i bought a 6800GT couse performence wise it was pretty much the same as the X800XL and for the same price. I guess it isnt after all. When that bug fix comes (if it comes) im pretty sure im gonna feel sorry i bought this instead of ATi

·
Premium Member
6,302 Posts
Metalmurphy said:
A convinent bug huh? Seeing as it boosted every benchmark around and fooled everyone. I mean i bought a 6800GT couse performence wise it was pretty much the same as the X800XL and for the same price. I guess it isnt after all. When that bug fix comes (if it comes) im pretty sure im gonna feel sorry i bought this instead of ATi
I didn't see any mention of fps boosting in these articles.....

·
Registered
5,810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hum if ur using less AF then you should obviously ur gonna get better FPS.

Another German web site Computerbase , went a step further. It made a custom driver by changing the inf, where the driver could not recognise 7800GTX and use its optimisations. The card was listed as unknown but was working just fine. But when the guys went testing they noticed a massive performance drop when using those drivers, close to 30 percent and related it to anisotropic filtering. Nvidia has a lot to explain.
At lease the guys proved it isn’t a hardware bug - it's a driver problem only but performance drops dramatically as soon as you resolve it.

·
Premium Member
6,302 Posts
Metalmurphy said:
Hum if ur using less AF then you should obviously ur gonna get better FPS.
Bah, remains to be seen if the card really performed to its max potential with this modified .inf. And even if these are optimisations, we've all known for a long time now that both ATi and nVIDIA more or less use them.

·
Registered
5,810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

·
The Hunter
17,202 Posts
There's more German members here: Bobbi ;)
But also F-3582.

I can try to read it and see if there's anything really different from the english article, but I doubt I will find anything.

·
PCSX2 Coder
11,343 Posts

·
Registered
5,810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I dont know what im talking about. Im reading what others said and know what were talking about ;)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.